This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
    You wouldn't like my country then. We use acronyms for everything.
    In the military, the acronyms get so long that even they get abbreviated

One example, COMPATWINGSPAC (means, if I remember correctly, Commander Patrol Wings Pacific). My neighbor worked for that office, which everyone just referred to as "the wing".

When his son was about 4 years old, he suddenly began to beg his dad not to go to work, he'd be crying everytime he went off. This went on for weeks, with everyone trying to figure out why this sudden fear.

Finally, we all realized that in daily conversation, we'd say things about "Mac" working on the Wing, etc. And this was a Navy Air base with planes everywhere. The 4 year old had overheard all this, and come to the conclusion that his dad worked on the wing of an airplane, when it was flying - he was terrified that one day he'd fall off and be hurt

Poor kid, but his Dad arranged for an unoffcial "take your kid to work" day soon after

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

The best one I heard was that the church in a town next to mine changed their name after they were realized what their acronym spelled.

The church's name was the First United Church of K******.
      “Bad taste creates many more millionaires than good taste.”

-Charles Bukowski

Comment

Could be worse....

Saint Priapus Church (the one that worships the penis supposedly): shorten it to SPC and chances are, you'll have people wanting to get a hold of the SPC factory
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I wonder if there's a Church Of Christ in Kansas.

"All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

What's "MFAH" supposed to mean?
            Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Ah, yes, that reminds me: My work's name acronyms to CDC.

You can just imagine what sort of fun that results in as far as people not paying freaking attention.

Hell, when we first set up our website, we had people breaking in pretty much constantly while looking for the Center for Disease Control. Which doesn't have a .com url, morons.

Then there was the time the SEC called and told us they traced an attack through our server and that we should do something to secure it... >.< ... Our IT guy wasn't the swiftest.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

http://www.wtf.org.uk/ amused me by ... existing, really.

Rapscallion

Comment

There's also a http://www.wtf.org, too, that bears no relation.
                  And a http://www.wtf.net, although I'm not sure how they came by their name.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

My fascination with acronyms all started during the Watergate hearings.
                    Committee to RE-Elect the President(Nixon) was called CREEP.

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
                      What's "MFAH" supposed to mean?
                      Mother Fuc*ing A**Hole probably

Comment

Quoth dbuzman View Post
                        Mother Fuc*ing A**Hole probably
                        That's exactly what the onlooker thought.

Comment

The college Finlandia University sells plenty of shirts and hats that are just their initials.

Comment

Quoth elsporko View Post
                            The college Finlandia University sells plenty of shirts and hats that are just their initials.
                            And then there's Princeton University.

Comment

Working...
                            X