Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That woman sounds like a complete biatch. Hopefully she works on commission so at least she didn't make any money off you.

My hubby got me a beautiful engagment ring. Months earlier I had casually mentioned I liked white gold and sapphires and thats what I got white gold band with channel set square cut pale blue Indonesian sapphires, with a row each side of smaller round cut white sapphires. It sounds blingy but is really very elegant and tastefull.

He picked it himself and even "borrowed" one of my regular rings to get the size right.

Our wedding rings we made ourselves. A local jeweller has these packages where you design, smelt, roll, shape, polish, etc and make each others rings. takes a half day and they provide lunch and photograph/ video it for you too. It was a great experience
    "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
    "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
    "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

Quoth raw456 View Post
      Our wedding rings we made ourselves. A local jeweller has these packages where you design, smelt, roll, shape, polish, etc and make each others rings. takes a half day and they provide lunch and photograph/ video it for you too. It was a great experience
      Now that sounds incredibly cool.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I know a couple who have Celtic knotwork tattoos as wedding bands. Wonder how the jewelry snobs would react to that?
        NPCing: the ancient art of acting out your multiple personality disorder in a setting where someone else might think there's nothing wrong with you.

Comment

Quoth wynjara View Post
          I know a couple who have Celtic knotwork tattoos as wedding bands. Wonder how the jewelry snobs would react to that?
          A couple friends of mine did that because they can't wear their rings and play instruments (they are in a band) with their rings on, so they got Celtic knots on their fingers for when they don't wear them.

My ring is pretty awesome. It's got some very cool designs on it with 4 tiny diamonds and a larger sapphire stone set in the center. I rarely wear it though because during the winter, my hands get cracked and water was getting trapped under the ring making this red ring where the skin was chapped. I usually wear it in summer months.

Wife actually won a $2000 engagment ring at a bridal convention thing but was twotoned which she didn't like, so we traded it for a white gold one with a similar design on it to mine. The thing weighed a ton and was thick, so this year for Christmas, we replaced her wedding band with one that had a row of princess cut diamonds on it that she loved. Looks much better.
          Last edited by iradney; 05-12-2010, 12:52 PM.
          Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

I hate big flashy rings too. I know that I would break the ring if it had a big rock on it. I fiddle with any jewelry I have one. So my engagement and wedding rings are simple and plain. They also didn't cost that much, whatever I like them.

If that woman had tried that with me I would have given her hell for it! It's what YOU want not what SHE wants. WHAT THE HELL!
            I am evil, I should change my middle name legally TO evil, I'm proud of my evilness! Makes life fun! bwhaha

Comment

I made our engagement rings... out of aluminum, and inscribed the attached design on them:

A few years later I got some sheet silver and engraved the design using the lettering engraver at work.
              Last edited by dalesys; 02-02-2017, 04:40 PM.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

We had a friend help us design our wedding rings and then he made them as a wedding gift. (the idea of actually making the rings yourself, though, is VERY cool! I love that!)

And I know ours are one of a kind because after making them, D swore he'd never make any more rings (evidently, it was extremely difficult...it's not something he'd ever made before. )

This is D's website: www.craftycelts.com.

Comment

The student shop here has seen at least one set of wedding bands made. Me? I already have a stainless ring :P.

And I guess I have demonstrated the folly of not doing one's research before opening one's mouth. I honestly thought broaches/knives/spoons where common for longer than they were. Serves me right for trusting ballads :P.

And garters are NOT an old tradition - stockings used to be risque enough, the garter is a variation on an old tradition. And yes, I know, the stockings were a cleaned up version of the full version.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                    This is D's website:www.craftycelts.com.
                    Excellent timing, my birthday is tomorrow and I was just thinking I'd buy myself one of the hair forks, but I couldn't remember the website, or which CS person had linked it before.

I was talking to my boyfriend last night and I mentioned this thread, and that I didn't want to an engagement ring with a large stone, especially not a diamond. He proceeded to describe a ring he thought would look good on me, and completely change my mind about the ring, although I think it would look better with an emerald.
                    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Ah, the joy of Zales, i once did an inventory for them, and ifn i didn't need the paycheck, i would've walked out, that's how pleasant the experience was.
                      Seph
                      Taur10
                      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                        Excellent timing, my birthday is tomorrow and I was just thinking I'd buy myself one of the hair forks, but I couldn't remember the website, or which CS person had linked it before.

I don't know how I ever made do without the hair fork. Seriously, I was wearing one an hour ago, and I wear one ever day, sometimes ALL day. I have one in silver and one in brass.

You will love the hair fork.

Comment

If i may, as a single person, chime in here (this feels awkward), my ideal engagement ring, should I ever meet a decent man, would be in my birthstone (ruby), not diamond. Perhaps something like this:

(Credit to Crystal Realm's website for the image; if this is against the TOS then mods feel free to take it down)

That is a Celtic puzzle ring, and I fell in love with it the moment I saw it. Ah, a girl can dream, a girl can dream...sigh.
                          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                            Tradition was birthstone
                            My birthstone is a diamond. Good thing I like 'em.
                            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I love how you all have different ideas of what you want/wanted your ring to look like! They all sound gorgeous!

As for tradition...meh. I do nothing for tradition's sake alone, just pick and choose the ones I like. Yeah, typically the couple will go shopping the proposal, but my sweetie wanted to kneel with a ring in hand. Our wedding vows were traditional, but our music was not. You get the idea.
                              The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Quoth Cat View Post
                                That Zales lady was a......
                                "See You Next Tuesday?"

When I decided to propose to my then-girlfriend (now wife), my brother and his wife took me shopping. They had found out about a jewelry story that was going out of business, which helped me a lot. I ended up getting an $800 ring, marked down to $300, and as an early wedding present, my brother and his wife kicked in $100 towards it. It was white gold with a small stone, which I think was similar to what the OP described.

My wife didn't want anything big, fancy, and expensive. We were getting ready to buy a house, and we had better things to spend money on. She was just happy to get a nice ring from me, even if I didn't buy into the whole one-month's salary, or whatever the tradition is.

For our wedding rings, we picked two white gold bands, and like the OP, she wears both the wedding band and the engagement ring together. We couldn't go back to the same store, as it was no longer in business at that point, but we were treated politely. Not sure which company it was, though.
                                Sometimes life is altered.
                                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                                Uneasy with confrontation.
                                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                                X