This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh God I don't Envy that Assistant...

Quick one from my post-work 'I need a new top because I can' shopping trip yesterday. I was in the changing room and overhead the following conversation. Afterwards I was able to get a look at the SC in question and it became even clearer why the poor shop assistant (SA) was having such an awkward time. You see, the customer was very large, indeed, too large, I would have thought, to fit into anything the shop had for sale, as their size limit on garments is 18/20 (14/16 in US sizes).

SC: Hi, I need this in another size.
    SA: Okay, what size do you want?
    SC: A bigger size.
    SA: Okaaaay, um, what size exactly?
    SC: My size.
    SA: And that would be approximately ... (could hear her desperately trying not to be rude and offer the size 20)
    SC: Well what do you think?
    SA: Ummmmmmm, well I could bring you the two sizes above and you can compare them?
    SC: Do you think I need the largest size? (I think she was baiting the assistant, there was a hint of mockery in her voice)
    SA: Ummmmmmm... I'll just bring what we've got.

Totally impossible situation.
    Saying I'm "turning down a sale" and thinking I give an airborne fornication – GUILTY – Irving Patrick Freleigh

I removed the comment since it was rude and hurt other people's feelings. Sorry.

I'm sorry if my comment upset you. I am also "not petite" and come from a family of "not petites" and grew up making jokes and comments like that about us all my life. It's just how i was raised and not likely to change.
    Last edited by Ree; 05-15-2010, 09:11 PM.
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Hahaha, great pun!

I <3 plus size women who are comfortable with themselves the way they are.
      Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

Comment

Yeah... the customer in the OP was TOTALLY baiting the shop assistant. Perhaps she thought the store would offer a discount by way of apology if she got all offended.
        Last edited by Ree; 05-15-2010, 09:09 PM. Reason: We have a report button for a reason
        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Shopping at plus size stores when you're only a 20 is also frustrating, because the smaller sizes tend to be gone while the larger sizes sit around waiting for someone. So I can't really say that it was a bad idea for her to go to that store. But going and trying to pretend that she didn't know what size she was was incredibly sucky.

Comment

MOD NOTE

May I take a moment of your time ladies and gents.

There is a link that features in all posts called the 'report button'. If you find something objectionable REPORT IT.

Anyone insisting on continuing the section of the conversation of why they object to any particular phrase will risk infraction(s).
            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Working...
            X