X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animal Shelter = Wal-Mart...NOT!!!

**Warning for the squeamish: Mentions of sickly-cat residue follow.**

Mr Puck and I decided to adopt a puckish pooch, so last night we presented ourselves at the local Humane Society to look at the candidates. As we were waiting for our turn to meet the chosen hound, a woman came into the shelter with a cat in a carrier. She placed the carrier onto the high counter and launched into a tirade of SC proportions, which went along these lines:

She'd adopted the cat the day before, and it was perfectly healthy at that time. The next morning, however, the cat had become sick with diarrhea (or bloody diarrhea - she changed this detail around several times). What she was demanding was that the shelter take the sickly cat back and allow her to choose a new one, gratis. More than a few "WTF" glances passed between hubby and I, as it was clear that whatever had happened to the cat happened well out of the reaches of the Humane Society. Another tidbit that she threw in at least once was that the shelter had told her the cat was 5 years old, but she'd subsequently found out (in 24 hours, no less) that the cat was actually 12.

The very kindly volunteers explained to her, numerous times, that there was no "return policy" per se at the Humane Society, that animals adopted were adopted "as-is" - and this is written clearly into the contract that you sign and receive a copy of upon adopting any animal there. In true SC fashion, this would not appease her, nor did their repeated offers to refer her to their veterinary consultant for a better explanation. She continued to argue that somehow, a newly-adopted cat, with an unknown history, in a strange house for the first time, should not display any signs of anything that it didn't show at the shelter - and furthermore, that it was the shelter's fault, and they were responsible for replacing their defective product. And yes, she did use that exact analogy more than once...it was at this point that hubby and I decided to walk around the waiting room and read the "Found: Hamster" posters, since we both wanted to thrash her by then.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the outcome was (although I can guess), because she was still arguing at the desk when we went to meet our new little Pucklet.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Well that lady(if you can call her that) totally blows!!!

So how did the hunting go???Find anything you wanted(probably wanted all of them didnt you I know thats how I am lol)
    "I want to be a mongoose. Can I be a mongoose dog?"

Comment

Quoth Sphinx View Post
      So how did the hunting go???
      We were successful, which I'll post in Off Topic as soon as I get a couple of pictures.

Comment

Wow. That woman makes me wonder if I shouldn't have tried to return the approx. 4 month old kitten that I'd adopted and was MISCARRYING around the house.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
          4 month old kitten that I'd adopted and was MISCARRYING around the house.
          Whoa...that's another bag of beetles all together, though, if I understand you correctly. You adopted a 4-month-old cat that subsequently miscarried multiple times? That is a sign of something very wrong (not that I'm a cat expert, but it just seems to me that it's quite a serious problem). If that's the case, then I can't imagine anyone having a problem with you seeking out some sort of assistance, at the very least. Hopefully you did go back to wherever the cat came from and at least ask for information to help you care for it.

In this case there really only seemed to be 2 possibilities: (1) the cat had managed to eat something at the new home that caused the diarrhea, or (2) the cat simply had a case of readjustment nerves. Neither one of these would convince a reasonable pet owner that they needed to "exchange" their cat after only 24 hours, and that's what I was all aghast about - that and the utter cluelessness of the woman and her "pet-as-object" attitude.

Comment

Anytime you adopt an animal from a shelter they recommend you take it to a vet yourself ASAP. When I adopted my Keelin, she was up to date on her shots, but had some URI from being in the shelter, and some ear mites. These types of problems should be somewhat expected in shelter animals. My kitty had the opposite problem of the cat in the OP. Once we got her home, she wouldn't "go" at all for about 36 hours. It was really starting to worry me, so I picked her up an put her in the box and made her stay there till she went. Once she was in, I only had to wait a minute or two.
            The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

That just makes me sick. Animals get the hershey squirts too! Good God, I remember what happened when we learned that my dog is interolerant of pork! What the hell was wrong with that woman?!

Certainly, the animal could have gotten into something or gotten dizzy or sick or just too excited to be somewhere new........

I wonder if her husband has ever taken her to her mother's house in a cage and demanded that her mother "TAKE HER BACK!" because she had bloody diharrea! If he hasn't, he should.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
                It was really starting to worry me, so I picked her up an put her in the box and made her stay there till she went. Once she was in, I only had to wait a minute or two.
                She probably went: Ok woman if you're so worried about my *euphemism* I'll please you then.... there's no accounting for some people's tastes...

I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Sadly, some people shouldn't have animals. Could you imagine this woman trying to take her child to the hospital to return it b/c of diarrhea?

Cats have the squirts, just like humans do. One cannot expect a cat to take to a new home and family immediately. It takes time and the time can vary from animal to animal.

Speaking of the diarrhea, it can be caused by nerves or the kitty eating something that disagreed with its tummy. And that reminds me to keep Monkey-Monk away from mashed potatoes, as she had some last night and today was having a slight bit of "tummy upset."

Despite that, I think I'll keep her.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth PuckishOne View Post
                    Whoa...that's another bag of beetles all together, though, if I understand you correctly. You adopted a 4-month-old cat that subsequently miscarried multiple times? That is a sign of something very wrong (not that I'm a cat expert, but it just seems to me that it's quite a serious problem). If that's the case, then I can't imagine anyone having a problem with you seeking out some sort of assistance, at the very least. Hopefully you did go back to wherever the cat came from and at least ask for information to help you care for it.
                    If I remember correctly (and it's been known to happen), we took her to the vet and they confirmed the miscarriage. Poor Lena. We got her fixed soon after that.

I was mostly disturbed with the fact that my new kitten could've had kittens of her own. I don't think that's what anyone had in mind, getting me a kitty for my 16th birthday. (Thank you, Humane Society of Waukesha County...I could've gotten at least 4 kittens for the price of one!!!!)
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

whoa, since when is a living, breathing (and apparently pooping) creature a "product"?
                      If that is the case, then they should've hauled her off to HER mom, and demanded that they be allowed to exchange this defective product, as the brain does not appear to be working
                      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

she may have miscarried because she wasn't fully formed internally or wasn't mature enough (even though she was capable otherwise); animals have strange anomalies, just like people.

i think the cat got off lucky; who wants an owner who isn't smart enough to have some understanding of readjustment to a new enviornment. god forbid the animal had a serious issue!
                        look! it's ghengis khan!
                        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

i think the HS should have taken the cat back. That woman will either dump the cat or kill it. Either way, coming back to the HS has got to be better for the cat and perhaps someone normal will adopt it next time.
                          A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                          - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post
                            One cannot expect a cat to take to a new home and family immediately. It takes time and the time can vary from animal to animal.
                            When I first brought my cat home, he was a bit scared. Even though I'd had him since he was a kitten, he was very nervous. He was an outside cat, and wasn't used to being inside. He spent the entire first day hiding and sleeping behind the furnace. At least he didn't "do his business" back there! He saved that for the basement floor, even though he'd been trained to use the litterbox After a few days of that, he got used to his new surroundings, and is pretty well-behaved.

He's still not used to one of the rooms though--up until recently, the "office" was still off-limits to kitties. There were too many things I didn't want him to get into, or things I didn't want to *fall* on him, so I kept the door shut. Fast forward a few months, and I've cleaned out the room, and the door is always open. He'll go in there, but seems to think he'll get into trouble. No matter how much I say he's a "good kitty" he runs out of that room.
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Barefootgirl View Post
                              i think the HS should have taken the cat back. That woman will either dump the cat or kill it. Either way, coming back to the HS has got to be better for the cat and perhaps someone normal will adopt it next time.
                              Funny you mention that, because I called the Humane Society yesterday (wanting to see if they had any other info on Bud that we'd need for the vet), and while I was on the line I asked about the "rude cat woman" from that night...and the volunteer remembered her, and said that yes, they did take the cat back.

Comment

Working...
                              X