This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "How do I get this phone for free?"

I was at the cell phone store today getting a new phone and updating my plan (it's been a while). While I was perusing the new models, I overheard this EW having a loud, decidedly broken-record style conversation first with the poor sales associate, then with the store manager/assistant manager.

From what I could gather, the following facts apply:

-His phone was damaged, which he had admitted was caused by dropping the phone one too many times.

-Therefore the damage was such that it was not covered under warranty.

-The damage also meant he didn't qualify to receive a buy-back credit for his old phone, because (as the poor clerk explained numerous times) to get the credit, the phone must work.

-He'd had this phone for a while, but was still far short of qualifying for upgrade pricing.

Let me tell you, this guy was absolutely shameless. He didn't try to reason with the employees, he just laid out his demands.

"How do I get this phone for free?" (the phone he'd picked out was a Windows Phone, which was $200 with new 2 year agreement and after a $50 rebate. He was looking at at least $300 out of pocket to upgrade without the discount, it seems. But regardless, this particular phone would never be free even if it was upgrade time for him).

"How do I get this phone for free? I'm telling you right now I'm NOT paying for a phone."

Repeat ad naseum until I want to go over and slug the guy, even though I'm not the one dealing with him!

"But 'The Lady' said you guys would buy my old phone back! How much will you give me for it???" (This despite having been told that the damage to his phone disqualifies it for buy-back).

Eventually the manager came over, and I got to hear the whole damn cycle repeat. Except that this time, instead of "dropping" the phone, it had been "giving him problems from the day he got it." But of course, he didn't bother coming in during the 30 day grace period to swap it out. He also expressed his profound disappointment that they couldn't give him a better deal.

A better deal? Look, pal, even if you qualified for an upgrade, that phone would still cost you $200 after rebate. So even if they granted you the full upgrade credit (which you hadn't earned) you still pay $200! But of course, to an EW, having to pay anything at all means your aren't getting a good deal.

I also got to listen to this idiot remark to his buddy how much the people at this store "suck" and "don't know what they're doing."
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Hmm... sounds like someone who will, against all reason, get the free phone plus a gift card for his troubles from some spineless jell^H^H^H^Hmanager. Or from corporate, cause 'we want to make the customer happy'.
    I still miss my ex.
    But my aim is getting better.

Comment

"How do I get this phone for free?"

Pay me $500.00 for this lint-covered cough drop from my pocket and the phone is all yours!
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Working...
      X