Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know how to bag around here?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know how to bag around here?

I'm not trying to sound snobbish or better than anyone, and I'm certainly not trying to make cashiers at Wal-Mart and grocery stores seem like peasants, but honestly, who is teaching these people how to bag?!!?!

When I worked at the grocery store, we had a bagger training video (yes, of course, extremely corny, but I now realize how necessary it was). Once I got out on the floor, bagging was easy! Soft items go with soft items, bread goes on top of eggs, cleaning supplies do NOT go with leaky meat, all frozen/cold foods go together, non grocery items should go together.....it's COMMON SENSE!

Well blas, go to Aldis, everyone says. No, I can't stand Aldis food.

When I do my weekly-bi weekly shopping, I organize everything in the cart (I'm a loser, I know). Any makeup or hair, or any cleaning supplies...anything non grocery and relatively small go in the front of the cart. All frozen foods go together. All boxed items go together.

Organizing them that way in the cart allows me to easily and effortlessly place the items in that order on the conveyer belt in just the same amount of time it'd take anyone else to put their groceries on the belt. I started doing things this way the first time I saw my frozen ravioli in the same bag as my toilet bowl cleaner .
    One can assume that since I have taken it a step up, it's even easier for the cashier to bag, because there's no skipping around items, they can all be bagged in order and bagged properly. It will make the transaction go a whole lot faster for both of us.

But no, no no. It never fails. I watch as the cashier always puts my cleaning supplies and bug poisons with my frozen foods! I've seen cashiers put frozen pizzas and ice cream with PAPER plates and notebooks! I've had cotton balls get squished (and wet) when the cashier places a big family box of lasagna on top of it!

No, these aren't "stupid kids" (16 to 20 year old cashiers). These are usually adults who you'd imagine would have been doing this long enough to know better. Even if they are in a hurry....look how easy I just made everything. Everything is placed in the conveyer belt grouped up how I want it bagged!

It's my fault for not speaking up, I know, I know. I need to be more assertive with people. But I remember a certain bitching at that I got as a bagger at the grocery store when I dared put all of one woman's fruit together (and etc etc etc etc, it was embarrassing everyone heard it), and I haven't wanted to say anything because I don't want to be that woman saying, "No, no no no! You don't know what you're doing! You do this THIS way! I bagged groceries for a year and half and I know better!".

If I do speak up....how do you politely say that you want everything packed in that certain order? Maybe it's my own fault for assuming that the cashier will automatically know that everything is organized and should go that way, maybe not.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

When I was a bagger, I had a kid try to help me with his family's groceries. I thought it was sweet . . . until he bagged store-packaged ground beef with bread.

Just say, "please bag like with like" or maybe "please bag things in the order they are in on the belt." And do it with a smile and a "please!" That could make the difference between "OMG I had the b*tchiest customer today" and "you know, she was picky, but she was polite!"
    ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Also maybe go to the MOD and mention that these guys need to be trained a little better on the whole bagging thing.

Comment

We have said the same about wal-mart cashiers/baggers as well. There's one girl at the local one, and I dont know how we always end up in her line, but she likes to put bleach or some sort of solvent with our bread. My husband will watch her like a hawk, but she manages to sneak it in there somehow. We now usually do the self check out unless we have a lot of stuff (which we normally dont, just me and him, the cats dont eat much.)

Comment

wow-when I was a bagger we were informed it was against health codes to bag any non-food items in with the food, even if it was just paper plates, even if the customer requested it-couldn't do it-the store could face heavy fines.....

I'd definitely speak with a manager about it, something along the lines of-"I've noticed that some of your cashiers place cleaners in bags with food items, I've never had a leak issue-but if it were to happen someone could get very sick, and I know you wouldn't want that."

If you word it so they think your concerned for the business/customers it doesn't sound like you're complaining, plus they may not be aware of the issue.
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I love the self checkouts, and whenever I have a relatively small load, I'll opt for them and I know my items will be bagged the way I want them, but since every time I go to WalMart I usually end up with a cartfull (and I don't want to slow down everyone else in the self checkouts, they are usually only getting a few things), I go to the regular checkouts.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem, and I'm glad fellow CSers have experienced this too.

Comment

Meanie! I know how to bag!!! I put all the baking items in a bag together...first the eggs, the the cans of cendensed milk, and then finally, the 10 lb. bag of flour on the top of the bag! Then, to protect that bag, I make sure to surround and conver it with bags full of cans and bottles and other heavy items so that nothing can get to your eggs! Eggs are like, fragile and stuff!! For reals!

o_O

Ok, I wasn't "for reals." When I am helping other cashiers, I am often amazed at how often I end up pulling shampoo or cleaner out of a bag with soft food like potato chips or something. *headdesk* I just don't get it. It's not like it's a hard job. Well, in theory anyway. Customers tend to make it hard. But the job itself is not particularly difficult.

Comment

Insanity.

I don't know about you guys, but when I put items on the belt in an orderly fashion, just to have the cashier still manage to ring them up any way they want...that drives me insane. Plus I have to watch the bagger try to bag them in the order they arrive, not bagging like with like.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I make a little wager with myself before approaching the checkout. Is this a cashier that thinks that three canned goods is too many for a single bag and will double-bag a 5 pound bag of flour, or is this a cashier that thinks that it's not full until something pokes a hole in the side?

I never bet that the cashier actually knows how to bag. The odds just aren't good enough.

Comment

I do remember having the occasional customer at the grocery store be very insistant on bagging their own groceries. Of course, it was in a very condenscending manner, but they'd ask me to step aside and they'd bag their entire order because "None of you idiots can ever bag right!"....they said as they put a head of lettuce on top of a box of crackers.

But I digress. Perhaps I'm just wasting my own time arranging everything in the cart and putting everything in order on the conveyer belt. I mean, it really doesn't take that long, but if the cashier is skipping around all of my items and throwing them in whichever way they please, no matter how messed up it gets, and it's happening to you guys as well...

What do we do?

And booger, I didn't mean to offend you. I know there are people who know how to bag out there; I'm one of them as well. I just can't find them anywhere.

Comment

I only shop at Wal-Mart for my groceries and I have noticed that they do that to me also..I end up getting canned goods mixed with fridge items and the whole lot. Not all cashiers do this but the biggest share of them do and it does drive me nuts. I started telling the cashiers that I wanted my raw meat bagged separately because I did not have the time to disinfect my food items. They look at me weird but I mention E-Coli and Samenella and suddenly they understand.

Comment

Blas, you are not alone. I do the same thing. And most of the cashiers I get have no idea whatsoever that such an art as bagging exists. THAT is why I try to bag my own groceries as much as possible. I know how to bag, I've had years of experience, and I'm modest too

I will admit to being old enough to remember my mother teaching me that we had to put non-food items together and send them down the belt first. This was long before scanners or even barcodes, back when the cashier had only the department buttons to show where the item came from. I've always just put things in order because that's how I was taught.

Comment

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it's something I've never understood: why do you care? I mean, sure, you don't want the possibly-leaky meats in with fresh vegetables, or either with poisons, or fragile items with heavy, but why *not* put lettuce on top of a box of crackers? It's too light to hurt the crackers, and they won't bother it. Why *not* paper plates in the same bag as frozen foods, if there are no more frozen items to fill it up? What possible difference could it make?
                          Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

I wouldn't put paper products in with frozen stuff, simply because the condensation from the frozen stuff will make the paper product all mooshy.

Comment

Exactly, especially when I have a 15-20 minute drive (depending on traffic) from that store to home. Of course, in the summer the condensation and leaking is worse, but I have noticed it's still a big PITA in the winter as well when the car is all warm and toasty even in the trunk. I may sound like a little old lady, but I'd rather have two frozen boxed dinners in one bag and my paper plates NOT in a bag so that my plates don't get wet.

Comment

Working...
                              X