This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Tell The Truth

In order to make an authorisation payment, I have to ask the customer what happened, tie their information up with any information on our computer system regarding the problem, and make an appropriate payment.

A customer calls me and tells me what happened, first of all her story is unlikely and involves a problem with her fridge during which all her food went off, which ultimately affected her television and now she's starving?

I can find no reason in what she said to pay her any compensation, not to mention that this appears to be a fraudulent claim given that her story does not hang together, and I tell her this.

Suddenly she changes her story and says she only told me that about the fridge before because she thought I would feel sorry for her and more inclined to pay her.The story is now a more sensible one concerning loss of service in which no fridge is involved.

wtf? why not just tell the truth in the first place?
    Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Quoth TelephoneAngel View Post

For the exact reason that the SC told you- "because she thought I would feel sorry for her and more inclined to pay her."

It follows the same kind of logic as SCs saying 'it's the law' to give them something they're not entitled to. They think it'll make you cave and give 'em what they want.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

and because it's possible the real claim was rather weak, so extra crap was tossed in to make it sound better?

Comment

Ya know, I wonder this all the time at my work.

If a customer calls and says to me something like: "Man, I'm a bonehead. I booked myself on the wrong flight. Can you help me?" - I'll move heaven and earth to help them, because I appreciate the honestly.

But the people who call and make up stories, or blame other people - I do the bare minimum for them that I can do while still keeping ,my job.
        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

When someone does this to me I flag their case for extra scrutiny.

"Really? So now it works but before it didn't? Are you sure about that? Okay! I'll set this up for you but please be advised that we do test everything we receive, and if you product tests out to be working we will return the exact same one back to you. If it fails we will of course replace it. Err, so you don't want to send it in now? Okay...have a nice day! "

Note that we don't actually test anything, unless something makes us suspicious. Then its tested. Thoroughly. It works fine? Gets sent straight back to the customer!

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
            If a customer calls and says to me something like: "Man, I'm a bonehead. I booked myself on the wrong flight. Can you help me?" - I'll move heaven and earth to help them, because I appreciate the honestly.
            That's good to hear. I make bonehead moves from time to time.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              That's good to hear. I make bonehead moves from time to time.
              Oh, trust me - I make LOTS of them.

That's why I'm always so appreciative when a customer is honest and admits they screwed up. Makes me wanna help them even more.
              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

TelephoneAngel

It is a logical fallacy called "Ad Misericordiam" or appeal to pity. Used, and over used, by people to try to garner other peoples sympathies in order to sway them towards their cause.
                "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                -Red

Comment

Working...
                X