This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another story from the bus

I ride the bus every day to cross the SF Bay for my commute. It costs twice as much as the regular buses (still cheaper than driving and tolls) and has some odd fares since it goes between the areas for three different transit authorities and accepts transfers to some extent from each of the three.

One morning an older woman got on the bus. It was her first time. The stop she got on was the last stop before crossing the Bay. She showed her senior discount card and handed a transfer to the driver for an additional discount. The driver tells her the fare is $1.65. And it begins.

D = Driver
    SC = You know

D: That'll be $1.65, ma'am.
    SC: It should be $1.60.
    D: According to the information I have, it's $1.65.
    SC: No, I was told it was $1.60.

*repeat the above exchange approximately 4 times*

(At this point, the rest of us are getting a bit antsy because, unlike this woman, we had places we had to be.)

SC: Call them. Call them on your phone there. They'll tell you.
    D: Ma'am, the fare is $1.65. Please pay it if you want to ride this bus.
    SC: Fine. *she drops in the final nickel* But you're wrong. I was told by [transit authority] my fare would be $1.60.
    D: Ma'am, you may contact the [transit authority] about this, and I'm sure they will be happy to refund your five cents.

(A sigh of relief passes through the bus as we start moving again. But it doesn't end.)

SC pulls out her cellphone while still standing up in the aisle and proceeds to call the transit authority.

At this point we're entering the freeway. The driver suddenly shouts, "Ma'am, please take a seat!"

SC nearly falls into an available seat from the shock, but does not give up her call attempt.

From what I could tell, the call wasn't going through, and I was a bit bummed to not learn the outcome of that call.

She's freaking over a nickel but she's got a fairly new cellphone?! And I've only seen her ride the bus twice in the last six months.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Quoth wagegoth View Post
    She's freaking over a nickel but she's got a fairly new cellphone?! And I've only seen her ride the bus twice in the last six months.
    For some people, it's all about the principal.

Given time, that $.05 will generate a lot of interest.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
      Given time, that $.05 will generate a lot of interest.

What, about 3 million years? While I'm stuck in a mining ship out in the cosmos?

Comment

Quoth RogueOne View Post
        What, about 3 million years? While I'm stuck in a mining ship out in the cosmos?
        Maybe she has reservations at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
        The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

No, just 1000 years, while you're frozen cryogenically.
          Those who are loudest about their qualifications, tend to have the least merit to their claims.

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
            Maybe she has reservations at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
            I hope they have Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters available. She sounds like she could use a few
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Zaphod Beeblbrox would be so proud....lol

Comment

Working...
              X