Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why some people should be turned away...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why some people should be turned away...

...at hospitals. Yes, I said it. There are people who should be turned away. Their kids who need treatment? Take them, but no parent visits. Period.

Here's why.

I have had the misfortune of several (about seven) hospitalizations for pneumonia. I always get it. (See www.cff.org if you want to know about it.) Because my family spends so much time there (for reasons besides my health, as well) I have since learned of new lows to which people are willing to go. Read on, but this may take a while...

NOTE: It's in this section because I never worked at this hospital, but was rather a witness to the suckyness of countless individuals.

This hospital is a children's hospital, and as such used to have all the old classic video games available for play if you were inpatient (currently staying in a hospital room for at least one night), not to be confused with impatient (lacking patience). These games were originally set up on wooden "carts" which were really more like rolling cabinets. Just some vintage consoles that someone had donated, plus a few games which were stored (along with the system) inside the cabinet. The TV for gaming use was kept on top of the cabinet.
    Now, about security. All of the cabinets were assigned a floor and were very rarely moved from that floor except for repairs. The televisions were bolted to the tops of the cabinets and the consoles and games were locked inside when not in use. I know you know where this is going, but bear with me.
    After a console or two and countless games had been heisted by patients and their families (think about the implications of this) the consoles began to be bolted down and games were attached to chains (these are still the cartridges from early-to-mid 90's) to prevent theft. By "chains" I am referring to the types of securements that hold bank pens to the desks. After more theft of games and a chain upgrade, the hospital cracked down. Bolting everything to everything and keeping the games in a locked room (which only Child Life Services reps had access to), available only upon request to keep track of who had them last. Thefts dropped dramatically to nearly zero. It seemed as though the hospital had finally won. But...

Enter the most good-karma-eradicating, ill-will-generating heist of all time.

One day, three men drove a repair van into the hospital driveway. While the driver stopped and made small talk with the security guard / traffic cop on duty, the other two went inside. Bypassing the front desk with gestures towards their name badges, they took the elevators up nine floors to where the child of one of them (I assume the driver) was being cared for. The men walked around the floor, posing as visitors, then snagged a video game cabinet with attached TV. To anyone who asked, they flashed their name badges and said they were called to fix the system. They hustled to the elevators and down nine floors, then out through a back exit so as not to walk through the lobby housing several policemen and -women. Loading the set into the back of their van, they tipped their imaginary hats to the traffic officer and drove off.

The hospital was not amused.

Because they had no idea who had stolen the system, all of the remaining systems were removed from the floors and there were no games available for a while. Luckily, a large donation in about 2002 allowed for the purchase of many (then) state-of-the-art gaming systems (think vertical and black) which are bolted TO THE WALLS of every single room.
    The lengths that some places will go to keep their customers (or at least those that they are serving) honest is incredible. Especially when the extra service supplied (video game access) is essentially unimportant compared to the main services that patients receive.

In my book, this ranks right up there with stealing from Toys for Tots and the like.
    NOTE: To my knowledge, none of the new systems have been stolen because it would be very difficult to blame anyone else if you or your child lives in the room where it is attached to the wall in plain view. Games, however, I am not so sure of.

Some people you just want to

P.S: I apologize profusely and sincerely for the ultralongnessitude of the above message board posted comment. In being brief and concise in my words I tend not to have much flair and so overwrite a large percentage of my sentences by utilizing thoroughly useless "dead wood" words at times when merely a few would do as well as or better a job of communicating my point to the reader. Thank you so very much and again sincerely for understanding my compulsion to write so incredibly much without proper cause.

P.P.S: Sorry it's so long. I'm bad at brevity. (Usually.)
    "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Stealing from a children's hospital is one of the most rotten things I can think of. Some people are so horrible.
    Sorry to hear about your recent and ongoing health problems. Hang in there, and feel free to vent about it whenever you need.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
      Stealing from a children's hospital is one of the most rotten things I can think of. Some people are so horrible.
      When my mother was working in a health clinic, things were constantly 'disappearing.' After several months of toys going missing, the staff quit buying them. These weren't even nice toys either--all were cheap crap (and I mean that nicely) from garage sales. Now the kids have nothing to play with while waiting. I mean, we all know that magazines in those waiting rooms usually disappear, but seriously...who cares? They're usually about 6 months old anyway, and whoever takes them saves the cleaning staff a bit of work But, to take kiddie toys at a free clinic is just pathetic, and it does show that people will steal anything that's not nailed down.
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Stealing things from a children's hospital, that makes a little kid's stay in a very scary place, especially when potentially very frighteningly sick, is downright horrid! I hope Karma catches up to those rotten people and soon! That's the lowest of low...
        I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

There is a special place in hell for people that steal from sick children. I also agree that it's pretty sad that the hospital has to take things to such extremes to avoid theft. Whenever I've been there, we've always had to provide our own entertainment- they may have given you a TV and VCR, but you had your own video games and movies. After reading your post I can see why.

I have had the misfortune of several (about seven) hospitalizations for pneumonia. I always get it. (See www.cff.org if you want to know about it.)
          Fiance' and I are also living with this condition. We actually met at a Xmas party for CFer's 4 years ago! I hope that you are doing better and please don't hesitate to email me if you want someone to talk to.

Comment

Quoth BunnyJas View Post
            Fiance' and I are also living with this condition. We actually met at a Xmas party for CFer's 4 years ago! I hope that you are doing better and please don't hesitate to email me if you want someone to talk to.
            Warning, the following has very very little to do with the current thread.

What with Cepacea (CF-specific bacteria) being "so contagious" (though it's actually not), CF patients these days are kept under room confinement and everything (I mean every single solitary thing) that we touch when we are in the hospital has to be wiped down with alcohol and/or an antibacterial cocktail of stuff. We are not even allowed to use elevator buttons or leave the floor (which is a rare circumstance and usually means you're getting an X-ray) without at least one nurse who will open all doors, push all buttons, etc etc etc.
            Thus, I have never been to a CF Xmas party, though it'd be pretty interesting to meet up with other CF'ers.

P.S: Strangely enough I am exactly the opposite of the stereotypical CF patient (e.g. either malnourished or very heavy, inactive, has trouble breathing, etc etc) and may be joining Division I track and field this year (as I am still in college). This hasn't kept me from getting sick, sadly, so more stories of woe stemming from my fellow inpatients may appear from time to time.
            "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

Working...
            X