This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But I Still Love My Bank

My bank is usually awesome. They always get customer service awards, but something happened a couple of months ago that leads me to think that I angered the universe somehow:

I lost a debit card on my main checking account on a Saturday evening. I call the 800 number as soon as I realize this. CSR is helpful, nice, informs me after a few minutes that everything is taken of, but I will have to call my branch on Monday to order a new card, as they are only for reporting lost/stolen cards. I note the person's ID number and the reference number she gives me.

Monday morning, I call my branch. There is no record that the card was deactivated, but nothing has been charged on it since my last use, so it's okay. Yea! I ask for a new debit card and am informed it will be about a week. I volunteer to pay for express shipping, but the rep tells me it will still take almost a week, even with express shipping. Okay, not thrilled, but okay.

Card arrives a week later. It's an ATM card. I call the 800 number and get a CSR who actually works for the bank, who checks into the card. It's not only not a debit card, it's attached to my savings account, not my checking account. She arranges for another card to go out as soon as possible, but it leaves me without a debit card for two weeks.

So, in your opinion, do I owe someone a blood sacrifice, or do you think chocolate chip cookies and a glass of decent wine will do?
    Blood sacrifice, the more the better.
    19.23%
    Cookies and wine work for me.
    46.15%
    Chill, it was a blip in the flow.
    19.23%
    Chill, blood and money are a bad combination.
    15.38%

The poll is expired.

Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

I'd go for the chocolate/wine option. Chocolate and wine are ALWAYS a good option.

I once experienced that my debit card was "snatched" by another bank's ATM as it broke down. When I contacted Other Bank and asked whether I could retrieve the card (as the card was ok, just the ATM was malfulctioning) the answer was: "err, we dunno, we just toss the cards that get stuck in the ATM down the mailbox and let Postal Service handle it".

My own bank were angry about the way Other Bank handled the situation, but there was nothing to do - I had to fork out a fee to get another debit card done, since noone could inform of the whereabouts of my original card.
    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

The ONLY thing I like about Bank of America is that if you lose your card, you can go into a branch and get a new temporary one immediately. Well, I kind of like the online banking, but that's it.

Edit: I think the bank owes you BIG apologies for screwing things up and not being able to get you a new card. I am dependant on my debit card. The only things I pay cash for are Vietnamese food and tolls.

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
        "err, we dunno, we just toss the cards that get stuck in the ATM down the mailbox and let Postal Service handle it".
        Wallets with id, purses with id, just id cards we will send free of charge to the person it belongs to. Debit/credit cards, store cards, and the like are returned postage due to those particular banks/department stores.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
          Wallets with id, purses with id, just id cards we will send free of charge to the person it belongs to. Debit/credit cards, store cards, and the like are returned postage due to those particular banks/department stores.
          Yes, that is also the procedure that My Bank uses, but they DO put the cards in special envelopes addressed to the other banks so they can document it if a customer asks of the whereabouts of their card. Wallets and purses are sent by courier to the police's Lost/Found office.

But Other Bank just tossed the cards in, without enveloping them or anything. At least that's what they say - for all we know they might as well just dump them in the trash.

My Bank has tried to talk sense into Other Bank, but to no avail. I must though say that I think it is just this specific branch of Other Bank that has an issue - they're generally rude towards people who aren't clients and (assumingly) low-income clients who only have a checking account and no loans, insurances and/or savings accounts.
          A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

I had a friend who lost her debt card in an ATM that was owned by a different bank than where she banks at. She called up the 24 hour line that was on the machine only to be told that any cards that aren't connected to that bank are shredded inside the machine if they get left behind/lost inside it. My friend was pissed and now holds a huge grudge against that bank.
            Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Comment

Quoth RedRoseSpiral View Post
              I had a friend who lost her debt card in an ATM that was owned by a different bank than where she banks at. She called up the 24 hour line that was on the machine only to be told that any cards that aren't connected to that bank are shredded inside the machine if they get left behind/lost inside it. My friend was pissed and now holds a huge grudge against that bank.
              what bank was this?

Comment

I don't get why they couldn't just de-activate your savings account on the first card they sent you, rather than having to issue a second card...seems like it would easy enough to do, as long as you could provide the correct info for them to verify it was really you.

I have no complaints; I use a credit union, and the time I got a letter saying my card MAY have been compromised at a certain store, i went in, and they re-did a new card for me on the spot.

Comment

Catwoman, what credit union are you at, I'm getting ready to dump both of mine.
                  Both of my cards got damaged. I called both banks. Both sent out cards.
                  Now, with my local credit union, they sent me the card after only 4 days... the pin number arrived a week later... oh, and you can't change the pin number without having a pin number (you can get a new one sent out without one, but to do an instant change must know your current pin number). So thanks for sending me a piece of plastic that was absolutely useless for nearly a week.
                  The other bank on the other hand is the true winner, it is a joint account with my mother (it's for my school expenses only, which thank God I have enough to cover until this gets straightened out) and they refused to send the card to me, it had to be sent to my mother since she was the primary, then she had to pay to courier it over to me (okay, so she used her company's account... shhhh , yes she did have her bosses permission to use the corporate account). Now it gets better, the card finally arrives to me, the sticker on it says "call us to activate your card any time"
                  I call and I get a message "we are currently closed, please call during normal business hours"

So I call again during business hours, and the automated system keeps dropping the call before it gets me to the representative to finish the activation.

Sorry bout the thread jack... but wagegoth, trust me when I say I feel your pain.
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Unfortunately it's a local one, and I'm in NJ - so don't think it will work for you. Sorry! I know if I ever move, I'm keeping the account here! My cousin, who lives outside of DC, still has her account at her CU in Tennessee.

Comment

Working...
                    X