This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Express Line means 12 or less

I had to stop off at the supermarket with my mother after church today to pick up a few things, which turned into half a cartful, but whatever. The store we stopped at was a smaller one, only 8 registers (this chain usually has 14-16 registers), two of which are set up as express lines, with a 12 item limit.

It was PACKED. I couldn't stand still ANYWHERE without being in someone's way. So after finally finishing up in the aisles, we got in line at a non-express register. While we were wqaiting, the general manager got up on the overhead page and made an anouncement. I wasn't really paying attention, so the first time through the message I only heard "4 items." I'd heard it wrong.

He was telling people that the two express lines were strictly for 12 items or less only. "If you have more than 12 items, please do not get in line at an Express register" and repeated it twice.

I just had to shake my head at that. I know it's busy, but that doesn't mean you can go through the express line with a whle cartful of groceries. Just like you can't arbitrarily use the breakdown lane when there's traffic, or park in a handicapped space just because the lot's crowded. And it was bad enough that the GM felt the need to make a store wide announcement!

Unbelievable.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

As a cashier, that's quite possibly one of THE most annoying things. We dont get a bagger on express, so large orders take even longer. The best (and by best, I mean worst) excuse I ever heard:

Wait for it....

"Oh, I know. But all the lines are long and I'm in a hurry. If we split it into 3 orders, I'll be under! [insert shit-eating grin]".

My response (under my breath, of course): Ma'am, if you don't want to wait in line, I'd recommend NOT going into a grocery store midday on December 23rd!
    Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

Do the express registers have a set "12 items or less" rule, or is it "ABOUT 12 items or less"?
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
        Do the express registers have a set "12 items or less" rule, or is it "ABOUT 12 items or less"?
        In my own experience, it's a rough number. When I worked express, I never held it strictly to 10 items or less. Depending on various factors, I'd adjust the size of the orders I'd allow. Much of it would be based on what type of items the person had. If they had 20 cans of soup, I'd allow it as it would only take me a moment to scan them. But if they had 20 various produce items, I wouldn't because those take longer to ring up.

Comment

They should program the registers to not take orders that are too large on express. Though would have to take into account the "20 cans of soup" thing. Mabee make it 12 different items or something. My best idea I think is to charge $5 for having more than x number of items in the express lane.
          "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Maybe they should programme the registers on those express lanes to not permit anything else to be inputted once a certain limit is reached. That or have it all on motorised tracks.
            "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
              Maybe they should programme the registers on those express lanes to not permit anything else to be inputted once a certain limit is reached. That or have it all on motorised tracks.
              That's not a bad idea, as we do try hard to enforce the 12 items or less limit at the Kitty, however if I'm on that register, I will send you to another line if you have way over the limit.

And don't try to tell me "Oh, I only have 10" when it's clear you have over 20 items. I can and I WILL walk around the checkstand (which has hardly no bagging area to speak of) and I will look at the items in your basket and start counting off.

So, no, those 20 cans of cat food you have will still count as 20 items, as the only counting method I know of is standard, not Ebonic.

So far whenever I've had to do that (maybe once or twice since I've been at the Kitty) they just sheepishly go "Oh," and get out of the line.

I'm such a stinker.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
              X