This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Time College Parents

Let this be a word of warning to those who are about to take their child to college or to those who have a while to go...

I got back to school just yesterday, since I volunteered to help move people move in. Yesterday, we cleaned up the dorm hall and around it after moving in. Today, the freshmen moved in. Today, I was an unloader.

The concept is pretty simple. You pull in front of a parking spot (not in it), we help you unload the vehicle while your daughter (since my dorm is the all girls dorm) goes to do her check in thing. When you are done unloading, you leave one person with your stuff while someone else parks your car in either the parking lot across the street or in the street. The reason for not parking in the parking lot: we unload your stuff into parking spots, that way, no-one's stuff gets mixed up with anyone else's.

First off, the people doing the greeting at the beginning of the parking lot were not giving the correct directions at all. After a while, they were replaced by people who were explaining the parking situation better. The first people who were parking in parking spots were a bit more understandable and were pretty nice about getting out of the parking spot. One girl, however:

G: the girl
    Me: Well...me

G: *parks in parking spot*
    Me: *goes up to the driver's side* "I'm sorry, you can't park here. Could I have you move your car in front of the parking spot so we can unload?"
    G: "We ARE unloading."
    Me: "Yes, but we need this parking spot for your stuff."
    G: "It won't take loooong!"
    Another Welcome crew member tells me to let it go. Well fuuuuck.

So even after simple instructions, people STILL parked in the parking spots. Then you had the parents who either talked down to you or were rude to you.

Listen here, bub. We really don't have to be here. We do this for your convenience. We are not paid for this. You are lucky that we even have something like this at all. In reality, we don't NEED a Welcome Crew to help you unload and direct you where to go and tell you what the next step is. We could just say screw it and let you figure it out on your own.

Later on, I was one of those people who stood at the beginning of the parking lot to direct people. A good majority of people stopped and asked us what they needed to do. However, we still had people speeding past us and parking in the parking spots. GRRRRR!

No, you cannot park in the parking spots. No, not even for ten minutes. I don't care if you have to drop something off quickly. I understand that THOSE people over there are parked, but they are in the handicapped spots and those were left open for people who need them, such as that one car with two older people who could hardly walk, but were there to wish their granddaughter well. Go ahead and talk to my RD. She's right over there. She will tell you the same frikken thing I told you.

I noticed this type of behavior last year from parents (including my own mother!!) when I was a wee freshie moving in. From what others have told me, this is mainly a freshmen parent thing and not so much a returning student parent thing.
    "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Quoth McGoddess09 View Post
    I understand that THOSE people over there are parked, but they are in the handicapped spots and those were left open for people who need them, such as that one car with two older people who could hardly walk, but were there to wish their granddaughter well.
    God, the disabled and the elderly get all the breaks!!!

And by returning year, 90% of freshman have had the "special snowflake" mentality ripped from their precious souls by professors
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Sounds nice and simple, so unsurprisingly people can't seem to figure it out.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Haha.

Explains ur FB status.

Next time, be sure to tell them you are volunteering your time to better help their snowflake transition to college life. Im betting some of those 'rents are stressed, sad, excited that their baby is leaving for school. (Not that it excuses anything)

Also, a sign (on a stick?) that physically prevents them from pulling in maybe?

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
          Haha.

Also, a sign (on a stick?) that physically prevents them from pulling in maybe?
          A big ass traffic cone would work.

Or hell, put out some chairs on them. Make it very difficult for them.
          Military Spouse Support.
          http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
          Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Chairs & cones would only work if at the entrance to prevent peeps from just speeding by. Otherwise you'd need hundreds of cones/chairs and people to police them. I vote for a few big signs at the entrances that threaten a tow. Then follow through. Bet the local towing companies would enjoy the extra business.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
              Haha.

Explains ur FB status.
              Yeah. Plus, I hadn't had my coffee, as I found out less than half an hour before my shift that I would be working. Had to hurry in the shower and get into clothes. Plus, it was hot and humid (hence the Satan in the bikini comment).

Well, the thing is, for the no parking, we put up signs and caution tape at the head of the space (not the part where you get in). On top of that, we put 'No Parking' in chalk on every parking space. On top of that, people tell them not to park in the parking spaces. At this point, there is no hope if they already can't follow instructions.

As for being rude, yes, I understand it is an emotional time for everyone. Baby is all grown up and going away from home for the first time. Mommy is feeling old. Daddy is grunting under the weight of the giant ass tv that little Baby just HAD to have. Little Shithead made the car ride unbearable with whines of "Are we there yet?" However, people need to recognize that this is a FREE service we offer them, that is actually helpful. We are sacrificing part of our summer for them. Sure, there are incentives like free meals, extra time to move in, beating the moving in crowd, the ability to get textbooks early, meeting new people, you get the picture.
              "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

Comment

However, people need to recognize that this is a FREE service we offer them, that is actually helpful. We are sacrificing part of our summer for them. Sure, there are incentives like free meals, extra time to move in, beating the moving in crowd, the ability to get textbooks early, meeting new people, you get the picture.
                Oh i know. Like it said, it doesnt give them an excuse to be dicks...but its like everyone is PMSing and no one brought the Midol.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                  Oh i know. Like it said, it doesnt give them an excuse to be dicks...but its like everyone is PMSing and no one brought the Midol.
                  I'll give them a Midol. It's a size nine Midol that needs to be taken rectally.

Comment

I'll give them a Midol. It's a size nine Midol that needs to be taken rectally.
                    Tee hee hee...yes!
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

"No, you cannot park in the parking spots. No, not even for ten minutes. I don't care if you have to drop something off quickly. I understand that THOSE people over there are parked, but they are in the handicapped spots and those were left open for people who need them, such as that one car with two older people who could hardly walk, but were there to wish their granddaughter well. Go ahead and talk to my RD. She's right over there. She will tell you the same frikken thing I told you. "

That is one of my pet peeves at the university I work at as a contract parking attendant. People tell me this when Visitor parking is reserved.

Plus it is none of the parents & students concern who is parked in the lot.

Next time do not do this, & watch what happens.

Comment

Working...
                      X