This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little hands and sucky parenting

After a nice, long hike, Hubs, my friend, and I decided to hit up Applebee's for dinner and drinks. I should have asked to sit in the bar area.

The reason I should have asked, is that we were seated next to a family with two boys who seemed more interested in us than the food. I'm sitting in the booth when all of a sudden I hear "Hi", and there's a little kid's head next to mine. He was leaning over the back of the booth.

Eventually, the dad yelled at them to turn around and sit down.

This continued throughout the course of the meal. Hubs leaned over and whispered "Little hands are touching me." After a minute, the dad yelled at the kid to sit down.

That happened throughout the whole meal. The kids would turn around and climb up so that they'd peer over at our table. Sometimes they'd say something like "Hi" or "What's that?" It'd take at least a minute (often longer) for the parents to actually notice, and when they did, they'd YELL and SCREAM at the kids to sit down.

So yeah, not the most pleasant dining experience. Next time, I think I'll ask to sit in the bar area where they don't let kids in (and where there's less distance between me and my drink!).

Bonus: At the fair

Not sucky, but kind of funny. At the fair, we (same group: myself, Hubs, and friend) were watching the horse show. Behind us, a little kid was wandering around. The mom scooped her up.

"Sorry," she said. "Be warned, you might be touched my little hands!"

We laughed it off. She gave us a disclaimer, and there were a gizillion open seats we could have moved to had we the desire to move, so it was all good.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

My brother and I learned real quick not to annoy other diners at restaurants.

One of the local restaurants where I live implemented a "No Screaming Kids" policy.

If your kids are creating a disturbance, you will be asked to leave. You do get one warning, but after that you are out.

Parents with crying babies are welcome to take them outside to calm them, and then return.

Business picked up
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Hee hee. Like something out of a horror film:

"Little hands are touching me!"

I just keep trying to picture the scene.

We were at a TGIF's when the kid at the table across the row from us just...randomly started screaming; one of those 'I'm getting torn apart by wild animals' kid screams, with bonus thrashing action! Plus the kid kept....staring at my boyfriend. After the kid did one of his screams he turned and started staring....

And my boyfriend screamed right back at him!

His face got REAL and he just turned back around and...quiet. Mom never even noticed what BF did. Quiet for the rest of the meal!!!
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

i'm like panacea; mom wouldn't tolerate bad public behavior and i was the same with babychains. he is now a teen, but he will behave himself for the most part; it's not hard to make them mind their manners unless you don't make it part of the normal routine.
        look! it's ghengis khan!
        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I'm with the others man, my parents would have NEVER stood for behavior like that.

I remember once I went out with a friend of mine... there were some kids at the boot behind her seat, making tons of noise, climbing over our seats etc. She turned and asked the parents to quiet them down.... they just said "Oh they are just being kids." and didn't do crap.... so she asked our waitress for the manager and when he showed up asked him (loud enough for the parents to hear her) "Sir, the food is wonderful, the wait staff is wonderful, but these people sitting behind me have absolutely NO control over their children, we have asked them to calm them down but they refuse...and to be totally honest it is ruining our dining experience. Could you please talk to them about letting their kids climb on over other peoples seats."

^_^ the family was so embarrassed. I love that girl. I wish i could do stuff like that.
          "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
          -Red

Comment

I would have told the kids to knock it off in a not too pleasant voice. AND if that didn't work then I'd raise holy hell with their parents. When you go out to eat & see kids in a dining atmosphere then you expect some sort of noise to be made by them. it's only natural. BUT if they're constantly making someone's dining experience uncomfortable then something MUST be said to put a stop to it.
            Saying that "kids will be kids' doesn't excuse their behavior.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
              I'm sitting in the booth when all of a sudden I hear "Hi", and there's a little kid's head next to mine. He was leaning over the back of the booth.
              Oh HEEELLLLLLL No. I would have flipped my non-existant wig if their children pulled stuff like that. Some people find that sort of behaviour cute!
              There is no problem we cannot ignore, confront, plot against, drown in chocolate sauce, or run over with the car- Christopher Elliot

Comment

Had a similar experience a couple days ago.

We were at a Shari's (and if you ever find yourself in the Pacific Northwest for some reason I COMMAND YOU TO EAT THERE, the strawberry lemonade is to die for and the pie is groin-grabbingly good) and in the booth behind us were two screamy women, both quite trashy and sporting tramp-stamps which I really didn't need to see during dinner, and at least two screamy, wandering kids.

So as we're trying to eat we're being serenaded with SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP! BUBBA (one of the kid's names. Really) LOOK AFTER YOUR SISTER! DAMMIT, I SAID SIT DOWN!"

Added bonus: one of them had an Alvin & the Chipmunks ringtone on their phone and they let it play out almost completely before bothering to answer.

'Nother added bonus: my mom nearly ended up with Bubba on her head as he (Bubba) was crawling around on the booth.
                Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 09-20-2010, 02:02 AM.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I hate going out to eat at a restaurant where children are roaming around everyone's tables, or when they get up and peek over the booths and bother other patrons.

Not everyone likes kids or thinks yours are cute.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Mom never even noticed what BF did.
                    either that or she ignored it, thankful that something shut her kid up finally?

Comment

Reminds me about the ABC article about restaurants and patrons getting fed up with rowdy children.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=2971198&page=1

Comment

Had one of these charming families yesterday at a sushi place. kids running about acting like, well, kids. but the parents/grandparents/ adults outnumbering the kids 2to1 did NOTHING to control them.
                        hell one kid was tossing her toy around, kept getting closer to us, damn thing lands splat in the dish of soy sauce. >.< gave the toy back to her, but hubs was like "shoulda kept it, then she would learn".
                        kinda ruined the whole deal for us, and we love this place. next time, we see that many kids, we go somewhere else to eat.
                        Siead

Hobby Twitter.

Comment

Mr. Rum & I took Child Rum out to lunch on Saturday. Red Lobster. Sat in a booth.

Whenever we sit in a booth, Child sits against the inner part and either Mr. Rum or myself sit next to her, so we can slide out first.

Child didn't stand up at all on the booth seat. She didn't scream or cry or fuss.

But then again, we had gone to the local Gaming Store, and purchased a CCG (Sonic X in case anyone is interested) and she was too busy looking at the cards to do anything else.

Comment

Quoth Red_Dazes View Post
                            they just said "Oh they are just being kids." and didn't do crap.
                            I'd have been like, "and could you just be a responsible parent?

Comment

I feel horrible when my 5 month old starts to cry when we are out eating. We usually get our food to go, or take turns with her outside. There is a local place that let me eat in a changing type area/break room so I could nurse her at the same time. She seems to smell food and wants to eat...lol

Comment

Working...
                              X