This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank You...it was a little chilly this morning

Maybe I shouldn't let things like this get to me. But in ten years of customer service at various establishments, it just boils my blood even when I'm on the other side of the counter.

I'm standing in line at a <Drugstore With Three Letters> waiting for a customer to pay for her things as there's only one cashier on a register. But she decides she wants to make exact change and has to go into her purse for it.

No problem, I'm not in a hurry and I generally respect my elders. (She's older than me and I don't think I have to be diplomatic about age here, so sorry if it offends anyone)

It's what she said as she was making her change that floored me.

"There's no one waiting behind me, so I can take my time."

She didn't even look behind her, nor was she in the slightest bit apologetic. I get customers who will at least glance behind them and check that there's no one there before making a statement like that. But it's the ones that literally are convinced that they are the only people in the entire world that get under my skin.

Again, maybe this is more towards those people than this woman in particular. But my patience pretty much ended with those words.

I don't know what it is with extremely self absorbed people. I swear, they truly think they are the only people on the road, in the store, here, there, everywhere. It's sickening.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I would have coughed or cleared my throat or something like that. Being older does not always guarantee respect....especially in cases like this.

Comment

It makes no difference to people like that. She'd only chuckle warmly, shrug, or make some comment that would make me even angrier.

Better to just fume at her back and pray that my telekinesis never kicks in.

Comment

Knowing me I'd cough. Might spook her a bit though.

Comment

I probably would have coughed too. Just to remind her that she's not in her own personal bubble anymore.

Comment

I would have said "Excuse me?" rather loudly.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I might have started quoting Emily Dickinson at her. "I'm nobody, who are you?"

Comment

Quoth Kaylyn View Post
                  I might have started quoting Emily Dickinson at her. "I'm nobody, who are you?"
                  "Are you Nobody, too?
                  Then there's a pair of us!
                  Don't tell--
                  they'd banish us, you know."

"And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                  "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                  Amayis is my wifey

Comment

There's no one behind ME either bitch!
                    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post

There's no one behind ME either bitch!
                      Excellent...best reply yet.

Comment

I would have had a hard time not coughing into my hand or something... or piping up with "Damn and here I thought I was a real person... back to the drawing board I guess".... just to make her squirm....
                        "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                        -Red

Comment

Better yet, tap her on the shoulder and give her the change!
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

My response to the lady: Wait a minute, YOU'RE the last in line?!? Then please let me finish checking out, since you're after me.
                            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Brojekk View Post
                              I would have coughed or cleared my throat or something like that. Being older does not always guarantee respect....especially in cases like this.
                              No no no, start laughing, but make it an evil laugh..... What?
                              Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
                              pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

Working...
                              X