Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What they call the food doesn't change what it is!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What they call the food doesn't change what it is!

My wife and I went to grab a good dinner at Outback last night, and I happened to catch this little gem from the table behind us:

Her: "Why do they call it 'Grilled chicken on the barbie!?' Just call it barbequed chicken, geez! Man these things are hard to read."

Um, then it wouldn't be fitting with the whole theme of the restaurant? Not to mention that the description of the dish is right below it. I couldn't help but think that if you don't like how the food is titled, don't eat there! It didn't stop there though. Apparently, the server for their table got their drink orders but after she got into the kitchen, she got held up for one reason or another. The grand total of time they waited for drinks was perhaps 5 minutes. So what do they do? Get the manager. Come on people, this is Sunday, after church, people are out eating and the place isn't exactly crawling! They should be glad they weren't at Texas Roadhouse. We stopped there first, and as we were walking up we heard an announcement for a party of /13/. And the waiting area was packed on top of that! Fortunately, after the drink problem, they were not too bad, but after listening to them complain about how the food's titled it was just a moment.
    A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

LOL
    betcha 5 bucks they'd have whinged if the food had just been "grilled chicken" "hamburger".

"Why call it The Outback if they don't name the food for Australian things?? *whinge whinge*"
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
      Her: "Why do they call it 'Grilled chicken on the barbie!?' Just call it barbequed chicken, geez! Man these things are hard to read."
      <nitpicking>
      Isn't "Grilled chicken on the barbie" redundant? Doesn't saying something is "on the barbie" mean it's grilled?

Also, technically, it's not BBQ chicken if it's grilled. BBQ is cooking slowly over a low, moist/smokey heat. Grilling is cooking the food over a high, dry heat. So, if you want to be technically correct calling it BBQ Chicken would not be right.
      </nitpick>

Comment

I wonder how they'd react at a foreign restaurant.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
          <nitpicking>
          Isn't "Grilled chicken on the barbie" redundant? Doesn't saying something is "on the barbie" mean it's grilled?

Also, technically, it's not BBQ chicken if it's grilled. BBQ is cooking slowly over a low, moist/smokey heat. Grilling is cooking the food over a high, dry heat. So, if you want to be technically correct calling it BBQ Chicken would not be right.
          </nitpick>
          I think it's actually just 'Chicken on the barbie' on the menu. My bad. Still, complaining about how it's titled is kinda crazy as far as I'm concerned.
          A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
            I think it's actually just 'Chicken on the barbie' on the menu. My bad. Still, complaining about how it's titled is kinda crazy as far as I'm concerned.
            I just checked the menu online. They do call it "chicken on the barbie". However, they do have "Grilled Shrimp on the barbie". I guess tha means they grill the shrimp, put it aside for a while, then grill it again.

Comment

Gee I just keep thinking of the scene when Lloyd was in the limo from Dumb and Dumber..."Austria huh? Well, lets put another shrimp on the barbie".

But to add in my 2 cents...while yes, BBQ is a style of cooking...stores also sell "BBQ Grills" and I have been know to attend/host BBQ's where the food is actually......grilled! Nooooo!

So next summer, remember, you are not going to a BBQ, you are going to Grill Party!
              If watermelons are made up of water, what are kumquats made up of?
              www.myspace.com/rentalracer

Comment

ahaha Id love it if they actually went to aussie and complained like that

whooooweee
                I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

For the love of whatever. it's frickin' grilled chicken served with BBQ sauce. If they don't like it, buy out the restaurant and rename it.

And it's damn good, too!
                  I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                    ahaha Id love it if they actually went to aussie and complained like that

whooooweee
                    lol yeah we'd sort em out.

i went to the outback when i was over the states last year.
                    wasn'y overly impressed with the food.. not alot of it is what i'd call aussie. even had trouble getting good aussie beer there
                    The mere fact that we have the flamethrower means that someone, somewhere once said "You know, I'd really like to set those customers over there on fire, but don't possess the means to do it"

Comment

CJ, that's because it's all Americanized.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Man, they'd hate eating at my place. I've invented such delights as "Steaming Pile" and "Lost in Squash."

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                          CJ, that's because it's all Americanized.
                          True. How else could an "Australian" restaurant not have a single meat pie? Outback doesn't even serve beetroot on their burgers!
                          Mon aéroglisseur est plein des anguilles!"

Comment

Quoth alphaboi View Post
                            True. How else could an "Australian" restaurant not have a single meat pie? Outback doesn't even serve beetroot on their burgers!

it's sacriligous thats what it is - evem mcdonalds has an aussie buger avalable here with beetroot.

i just glaned at a menu and i see theres no vegemite on toast.. damn. i eat that for lunch.
                            The mere fact that we have the flamethrower means that someone, somewhere once said "You know, I'd really like to set those customers over there on fire, but don't possess the means to do it"

Comment

I'm so embarrassed! We had a gift card so we went to Outback a couple weeks ago. I had a salad that had "grilled shrimp on the barbie" on it. On the way home, I said to my husband, "Isn't that redundant?" But I didn't complain or anything at the restaurant.

Comment

Working...
                              X