This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Just 5 cents!" (kinda long)

Yesterday, after a long and hellish day, I went to the supermarket to buy groceries for the rest of the week. The lines weren't long anyway, but I chose the shortest one (always a bad choice, after Murphy's law). There was one man already paying his groceries and a guy with a 12-pack of beer.
    The guy who got the beer was around twenty, had red eyes pointing at opposite directions and slurred speech. There are lots of drunks and junkies in my area, so this wasn't anything exeptional. It's against the law to sell alcohol to a person who's obviously drunk, but I don't know how the staff are supposed to judge that, so I'll just ignore that side of this story.

FC=fantastic cashier
    SC=the not-very-sober guy
    M= the man who was packing his groceries
    me=tired and very hungry

SC hands FC some cash and two bottle deposit refund slips (dunno what they're called). FC starts counting the money and as she's just finishing counting...
    SC:That's five cents short, I know.
    FC:I'm gonna need the five cents.
    SC:Are you serious? It's just five cents!
    FC:I'm still going to need it.
    SC:Who don't you give me the five cents. You must have spare change somewhere.
    FC:Sorry, but no.
    SC (holding the beer, ready to leave, points to M):Well he's gonna give it you.
    M: What? No I won't.
    SC:Come on, man. Five cents!
    M: You'll just have to deal with this yourself. (leaves)
    SC (to me):You're gonna give me the five cents, ok?
    me: No I won't. Besides, I haven't any cash with me. (a small lie)
    SC:Well aren't you a... (gives me a dirty look, then turns to a random guy just walking by)Hey! You're going to give me five cents, right?
    random guy: No!
    SC (to FC): Hey come on, it's just five cents.
    FC: Sorry, but no.
    SC: Well I'll just leave these here and go find someone who will give me those five cents. (Haha, with that attitude, good luck, mate!) I'll have my money and refund slips back.
    FC cancels the sale, struggles to find the right slips and gives SC his money back. SC goes back to the store (!), cussing. Another cashier takes the beer and puts it back to the shelf.
    SC (somewhere behind the shelfs): Hey! Don't put that anywhere! I'm gonna buy that.

FC and me are both and I'm dying make a joke about the next person paying my groceries (I resist the urge). Now, had this guy been buying anything else than alcohol, I (and probably everyone else) would have gladly given him the missing five cents, even without him having to ask for it. But expecting people to give you money to buy beer just like that (nevermind how small amount) and with that attitude is just stupid.

After I got home I thought it would have been hilarious if the guy came back with the missing five cents and the cashier would then refuse to sell him the beer because he was too drunk.
    Oh, and I doubt that if he was overcharged five cents or was given too little change, it wouldn't be "just five cents" anymore.
Working...
X