This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, Should I File A Complaint?

Hiya folks. I have to post about an experience I had last night with my cell provider. Background stuff: I have a Samsung Galaxy S phone (not going to state the specific model, as that tells the provider, and that gives more information than I want to give right now). This is an Android based phone with a mild twist: It has 16G of internal storage, and can accept a microSD card of up to 32G.

I've had stability issues since I received it, but chalked it up to a minor annoyance. Then, this past weekend, I decided to try a new ROM. Since I'd had issues with a previous ROM, I played it very very safe, and verified nine ways to Sunday that everything worked. As it turns out, it didn't.

Over the weekend, I tried five different computers, three different USB cables, and two different operating systems. Every single one of them was unable to write the file to the phone. If the file was small enough (not sure what the limit is), I could copy it easily and reliably. This 170M file, though, was not copyable. Using file comparison tools, I was able to confirm that any time I copied the file via the USB port on the phone, it would be corrupted.

If I copied the file over WiFi, though, it would work reliably. Since I do sometimes need to rely on using my phone as a USB flash drive, I decided to call up my cell provider. In the end, I wound up needing to go through their online chat service twice.

The first time, it looked like the culprit was my microSD card. I removed it, planned to replace it come December. Then, yesterday, the phone went loopy. Every time I visited adagio.com, it would reboot.

I wound up restoring the phone back to factory state. No extra files of any sort, internal storage reformatted, this phone was completely wiped of anything that had anything to do with me. I didn't even reattach my gmail account.

I still got the same problems (to be fair, though, I was down to three computers, three cables, and two operating systems). I went back to the online chat, and this is where I found myself getting pissed off at the rep. Badly.

I went through all of the above. His stance was that, somehow, all of these computers were the problem, and therefore nothing could be done. He told me this repeatedly, and in no uncertain terms.

I asked to speak with his supervisor, and eventually got to do so. In the end of the tech side of this story, the supervisor is doing an exchange for me. I should have the replacement within a few days.

The customer service side of this story, though, ends somewhat differently. That conversation ended nearly 13 hours ago, and I have been to bed. I am still upset with the rep. At one point during our conversation, this snippet occurred:

Quoth Online Chat
    Pedersen: It's called "md5sum". I get a checksum of the file on the local computer. I then get a checksum of the file that is on the phone. The checksums do not match.
    DH: Again, that's computer stuff. Not for the phone.
    Pedersen: Therefore, the data being stored on the phone does not match what is being sent to the phone.
    DH: Okay.
    DH: But how can I verify that?
    Pedersen: Did you just call me a liar?
    DH: Not at all.
    DH: I'm sorry you feel this way.
    I did manage to complain to the supervisor. I'm not sure if I've done enough, though. Should I actually call back and see if there's an official process I need to follow, should I let it go, what?

I've probably left something out, since the whole online chat was about 1.5 hours long. I saved the transcript, though, so I can clarify any portion of what I said (or he said) as needed.

I'm afraid I know nothing about phones so most of what you said went right over my head, but I am amused and happy to see you were trying to visit adagio.com. I would say that if it's bothering you that much, you should file another complaint. Do they have a form you can fill out online for questions/comments/concerns?

Comment

1. A cell phone IS a computer, so it does make sense.
      2. If checksums don't match, there is a problem. That's what they are for.
      3. If the "tech" didn't understand this, (s)he isn't really a tech but a script monkey. As such, they wouldn't know a checksum from a crocodile!

You can complain if you wish, you have a legit complaint and would not be sucky about it. But I doubt it will do any more good than your original complaint. It's just another call centre (even if online chatting) and no amount of complaining will make a difference.
      I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

you probably went over the tech's head too which is why the tech resorted to the classic "it's your fault not ours, bye" line.

i posted recently about someone who tried to set up an account for me so i could dial out of a barracks room. she did it wrong but then refused to admit that she had done it wrong, so therefore my computer was at fault.

or there's always the approach that one of the tech reps i know uses... if he has to call for computer tech support he's already beyond the scope of what they train the lower tiers for. So he just asks to be sent up to the second tier

Comment

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
          but I am amused and happy to see you were trying to visit adagio.com.
          Hey, they reorganized their sampler set recently. The SO was wanting to know some details, and we were on the road. It's acceptable usage, dammit!

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
          It's just another call centre (even if online chatting) and no amount of complaining will make a difference.
          This is very likely true. The only thing I'd be hoping to accomplish via the complaint is getting this CSR additional training in how not to piss off a customer. When I've reached the point where I'm actually saying "I will happily await your supervisor, but I am unwilling to continue this conversation with you." then things have degraded much too far.

And that's doubly true of me. When I'm calling up support, 95% of the time I'm beyond what first tier support will be able to fix (it does happen sometimes that they know something I didn't try, so I refuse to say all the time, but it's quite rare). By the time I'm calling, I've either got defective hardware, or no other options. Even with that, though, I understand that they have to go through a full script to verify my claims, so I work with them. I actually do run their tests that they tell me to run.

I really do try to be nice. So, if I'm demanding a supervisor, either you've done really well (and I want to tell your supe that), or you've done really really badly, and can no longer recover from what you've done.

Quoth PepperElf View Post
          you probably went over the tech's head too which is why the tech resorted to the classic "it's your fault not ours, bye" line.
          I just counted. 21 lines into the conversation, he pulled the "it's your computer"... Let me just post the opening of the chat:

Quoth Online Chat
          You have been connected to DH.
          DH: Hi Michael , welcome to <cell provider> live Chat. I’m DH and I will be happy to assist you.
          Pedersen: Good evening. My issue actually starts from last night, so you might be best served by reading last night's logs.
          Pedersen: And then having me pick up from there.
          DH: Oh, okay.
          DH: Please, give me one to two minutes to pull up your account.
          Pedersen: Certainly.
          DH: I really appreciate it.
          DH: So, your phone is transferring corrupted files?
          Pedersen: Correct, but *only* over USB.
          DH: Oh, okay.
          Pedersen: And, despite the way things looked last night, it is doing it regardless of whether or not I have an microSD card inserted into it.
          DH: Oh, my.
          DH: That's terrible.
          DH: What type of files are you trying to transfer?
          Pedersen: Frustrating, definitely. I can work around it, but the phone does random reboots, too. Put those two together, and I'm starting to think I've got some issues.
          DH: Okay.
          Pedersen: It occurs on multiple types of files: MP3, MP4, and .zip.
          DH: I see.
          DH: Has this always happened?
          Pedersen: I'm not certain. This phone is very new (less than a month).
          DH: Unfortunately, we cannot determine what is corrupted on your computer that is transferring to the phone. We do not troubleshoot computers here.
          That's the beginning. He went straight for the "It's your computer, not the phone" setup. I don't want to post the whole log, as it's about 1.5 hours of chat log. Long log.

Quoth PepperElf View Post
          i posted recently about someone who tried to set up an account for me so i could dial out of a barracks room. she did it wrong but then refused to admit that she had done it wrong, so therefore my computer was at fault.
          That sounds a lot like what happened here. He was wrong, and might have even known it, but did not want to admit to it. Of course, things simply went downhill from there. I even wound up having to post this line:

Quoth Online Chat
          Pedersen: So, to restate your position: A single phone has the capacity to act like a USB flash drive. It fails to reliably do so, and in fails on multiple computers, multiple USB cables, and multiple operating systems. Those same computers, BTW, are able to use other USB flash devices reliably, with those same cables. However, your belief is that the problem lies with the computers.
          And, even with me showing to him (via that line) what he was trying to tell me, he still seemed to be trying to tell me that the computers in use were the problem, not the phone. I eventually had to spell out for him just how far down the hole this conversation had gone:

Quoth Online Chat
          Pedersen: Please look at my account. You'll see how long I've been with <cell provider>. I have recommended <cell provider> to other people. The reason I have stayed, and the reason I have recommended, is because of the high quality of customer service I have gotten in the past. At this point, I am distinctly not getting anything similar to the quality of service I expect. I will happily await your supervisor, but I am unwilling to continue this conversation with you.
          It was finally a few minutes after that that the supervisor stepped into the conversation.
          Last edited by Pedersen; 11-23-2010, 12:36 AM. Reason: Removing identifying information

Comment

I couldn't let it go. I called up <cell provider> and filed a complaint. To have had years of such great service, only to have that occur last night, just left a very bad taste in my mouth.

I told them I didn't want anything other than for the CSR to get more training on dealing with a situation like that when it starts to deteriorate. It should never have reached the level it did.

Especially when the rest of the service has been so stellar, that was truly surprising.

Comment

And now for what is likely to be my final note in this thread: I got the replacement phone today. It's working marvelously. I've been able to copy files over, file verification comes up clean, everything is just peachy.

Very happy with it (well, for now, I'm sure something will happen to change my mind

Comment

Working...
              X