This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tale Of Bigotry

My wife and I went on a trip to Toronto this past week to see some friends I've not seen in 10 years. After we met up and had some dinner at a yummy Jewish Deli, we decided to go out for some tea.

It was late so we were the only ones in this shop apart from what seemed to be the owner of the establishment. All was decent enough till he noticed my American Flag on my jacket sleeve. It was then that the comments began...

Now, he wasn't being hostile in his comments, however, it was very clear he had a great distaste for the US, which in and of itself is fine because even many residents of this country tend to dislike it as well and everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinions, but after about 5 minutes, it was becoming very awkward to the point that we all just kind of wanted to walk out, and had he been more hostile in his demeanor, I certainly would have. But being that I was with friends (who were immediately calling him a racist as we left), I didn't want to cause a scene with them there.

It certainly baffles me that people can act like this in front of customers. It was very unprofessional and unethical in so many ways. Great, you don't like our government, is it my fault that the government is so poorly run? No. So please go shit in your hat. kthxbye.
    Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

indeed.

you are there for tea. you are not there to listen to his political views, regardless of what those views are.

it doesn't matter what you are wearing. He needs to understand that not every customer will be the nationality he likes or share his political views. Having different views is NOT an open invitation for others to go off on you like that. especially when you were a polite paying customer.
    Last edited by PepperElf; 11-24-2010, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Before I post my story, I'd like to remind everyone not to turn this thread into a rant about the government. Please focus on the racist idiots, which is what this thread is really about.

OK, back on our regularly scheduled topic...

A few years ago, my wife and I were having lunch at Burger King. At the next table was this older couple, having a fairly loud conversation. We tuned it out for the most part, until their conversation started becoming blatantly racist.

I don't remember what led up to this, but the guy said something like, "Those black people aren't any good!", while this one black girl who was working there was within earshot. My wife looked at each other in disbelief.

Then, as if that wasn't enough, the old guy's wife chimed in, "And those Mexicans aren't any better!" My wife really took offense at that. She's not Mexican, but she is hispanic, and that one hit a little close to home.

I can't believe that there are still people like that in this day and age.
      Last edited by MadMike; 11-25-2010, 02:54 AM.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

must be something about tea house owners...there's one in my town that actually asked a black english gal and her friends to leave. i'm friends with her friends and then told me the story. apparently, they weren't doing anything unruly or rude. the owner just walked up to them, looked the gal up and down, and asked them to leave. i make it a point every time i drive by to tell whomever i'm with about it so they never go in.
        If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
        ^_^

Comment

actually that one you can bring to the papers since it was based on race.
          and hell if that guy wants to kick people out for their race, the public has the right to know about it

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
            I can't believe that there are still people like that in this day and age.
            I can. I've completely given up on the idea of a colorblind society.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Sad there's still bigots out there....
              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I had a lovely run-in with someone bit like that - I was on holiday over the border, and having a drink in a pub. One chap on a neighbouring table started loudly complaining about me - "people like that, coming over here, taking our jobs.."

I took great enjoyment in going up to him and pointing out I had a job in my own country, and had come here on holiday to admire his country's historic architecture. Shut him up lovely. :-)

Comment

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
                  must be something about tea house owners...
                  I must have lucked out then. The owner of our local tea shop we frequent is a great guy who would never speak bad about anyone.
                  Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

That actually happened to me last night.

Archie Bunker type dad (posted about him in this section under the "My Dad Is An SC [Blood Boiling]" tag a year ago) started having a rant in the middle of the restaurant about Obama and the government and society. I forget what triggered it exactly but I'm there, eating my fish and trying to make myself melt through my chair.
                    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

I don't understand business owners or managers who do this sort of thing. Are they trying to drive business away? Duh.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                      X