This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheard in Borders

this week we had a freak snowstorm here in Portland and the roads were in terrible shape. Schools closed, tons of call-ins, accidents everywhere, you name it. Being used to snow, I was not fazed and ventured out to Borders to get something. Borders was unusually empty. I'm standing at the information counter where the lovely and pleasant saleslady is looking up a movie for me. A very tall (at least 6 1/2 - 7 feet tall) black man comes walking behind me, talking louder than anybody else in the store.

TBM: Baby? We need anything else? We got this one and this one...
    Baby: I don't know. Don't think so.
    Borders Emp: (walking up) Did you need any help sir?
    TBM: (Yelling) I just told that guy there I didn't need any help! What's up with you people?!
    Borders Emp: I'm sorry, sir.
    (I look around, there are 4 borders employees walking around who have congregated near the info desk, waiting for people to help. it's obviously very slow. Black man turns toward the registers, and all 4 of these people instinctively turn and look at him, as he is the tallest and loudest person in the room. None say anything, several smile professionally.)
    TBM: (Yelling even louder) What is up with all these people watching me, man?! You all think I'm gonna steal or something?! What's up with all these people! LEAVE ME ALONE!!
    One employee pipes up: I'm sorry, sir, we have a lot of people on staff this morning.
    TBM: SO WHAT!!! Stop staring at me and leave me alone! Damn people! Can't go into the bookstore without damn people thinkin' I'm a criminal...

TBM stalks off toward the registers, bitching the whole way. It seemed very uncalled for. Afterwards I saw two of the employees trying to keep from smirking to themselves.
    Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

I had one guy tell me that if someone asked him if he needed help one more time he was going to file a complaint.

Yup, you heard right. complain because we were doing our jobs. Funniest thing I heard in a while.

I told our SM that, and he burst out laughing. I was almost tempted to tell him to go ahead and try, I could use the praise.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
      I had one guy tell me that if someone asked him if he needed help one more time he was going to file a complaint.

Yup, you heard right. complain because we were doing our jobs. Funniest thing I heard in a while.

I told our SM that, and he burst out laughing. I was almost tempted to tell him to go ahead and try, I could use the praise.
      That's like the woman who complained about us constantly asking if she had a member card. I wanted to say if she was there enough to be so sick of hearing it, maybe it was time she got one!
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post

If people keep coming up to me and keep asking if I need help, after a while I would get annoyed. No one's fault, seeing as the employees are doing their job, but still kinda annoying. I'd much rather not be greeted at all (which is usually the case ) then to be asked over and over and over and over....
        -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
        -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

How come when I don't need any help, I get asked a lot, but when I DO need assistance, no one can be found? :sob:
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

While I understand that employees are supposed to be helpful, and I also understand that they are all not part of a "hive mind" and therefore don't know what each other are doing every second, it's also annoying to be pummelled with non stop offers of help every 30 seconds while you are trying to shop.

I'd have to say the worst around here is one of those bath shops, (The Body Shop, I think) followed closely by Ace Hardware.

After being asked if I needed help, then assured the person would be available should I need help no fewer than 5 times in about a 3 or 4 minute period, I literally fled the store and went somewhere else to shop. I wasn't rude to anyone, but I just couldn't take it anymore and was just about ready to snap.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
              How come when I don't need any help, I get asked a lot, but when I DO need assistance, no one can be found? :sob:
              Because customers come in waves. We'll get a couple people in who don't need any help one minute and then get slammed by 30 people Who are so pathetic that they don't even know where they came in.

No offense intended BS, I doubt you're that type.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post

Exactly, what is up with that. Happens to me all the time.
                Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Working...
                X