This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student anger at school today

I'm a computer science/accounting student at the local university. The computer science program shares a building with the nursing program.

One of my classes this semester is software engineering. Right now, we're doing group projects, and today was the day we gave presentations to our customers. So, my group is practicing for our presentation in one of the study areas when we hear a rather loud thud in the hallway.

One of our teammates works as a tutor in one of the nearby study labs, so he went to investigate thinking maybe someone fell, passed out, or whatever. Turns out one of the nursing students punched a hole in the wall in a fit of anger.

Said student failed a nursing exam, and started an argument with the instructor administering the exam. As the nursing student stormed out of the nursing lab, he punched a hole in the wall.

My teammate who went to investigate kept getting buzzed on his cellphone during our class presentations later. He didn't answer because we were busy. Turns out it was campus security calling to get a statement from him.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Well, that nursing student picked a dramatic way to withdraw from the program.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Can't say I blame him. I feel like that after Chem exams. If the walls weren't made of cinder blocks....
      "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

indeed. not only did he just say "goodbye" to getting a degree from there, they can also press criminal charges on him and fine him for the damages.

Comment

i'm just glad he won't be a nurse in this life. what if he was and lost his temper at a patient or coworker?
          look! it's ghengis khan!
          Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
            i'm just glad he won't be a nurse in this life. what if he was and lost his temper at a patient or coworker?
            Precisely. If one of my students did that, my response would be, "You are out of the program. A permanent notice will be placed in your academic file. And if you appeal, I will inform the Board of Nursing that you are a violent individual who should not be granted a license."

NB: Just because you graduate from a school of nursing does NOT mean the Board of Nursing has to grant you a license. They won't, if you have a criminal record that includes violence or theft.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

good, panacea, qc is a great thing and allowing these types in frightens the hell out of me.

i have a nasty temper, but failing a test won't trigger it; i'm more likely to wonder where i screwed up and find out how to fix it.
              look! it's ghengis khan!
              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I know, I couldn't believe it when I found out what had happened. When I do poorly on an exam, I may be bummed, but I don't get angry over it. I just try to make note of what I did wrong, and try harder to learn.
                The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
                  I know, I couldn't believe it when I found out what had happened. When I do poorly on an exam, I may be bummed, but I don't get angry over it. I just try to make note of what I did wrong, and try harder to learn.
                  Most students do.

I used to do exam review with the entire class. But nursing students get a pack mentality when they disagree on what the correct answer is (nursing is not black and white, but many nursing students are). When they got out of control, I'd just pick up the exams and leave the room.

Now my exams are online, and I do test review on an individual basis. Works out so much better because the student has to explain their rationale to me. I can then explain the flaws in their reasoning . . . they get it and move on.

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
                    My mother was a nurse in a prison for a couple years. She was trained to react quickly if someong grabbed her from behind. And when she moved back to Vermont and started working in a nursing home again, she had to remind herself not to react because sometimes patients would hug her from behind

Comment

Nursing education is a small world, even in the big city with a zillion colleges that I live in. If his area is anything like mine, he'll have a tough time getting accepted at any other college.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
                        Nursing education is a small world, even in the big city with a zillion colleges that I live in. If his area is anything like mine, he'll have a tough time getting accepted at any other college.
                        Depends on what ends up on his academic record. At the CC where I teach, the Nursing Department doesn't actually select the candidates. The Admissions office does.

If he has an expulsion for violence, then he'd be SOL at my school. If not, all he has to do is transfer his credits, take the entrance exam, and get ranked.

We've got a couple of losers who've tried two or three times to get through our program. The only good part is they usually flunk out in the first semester. The bad news is, if they flunk out in the first semester they can reapply. It's the one part of teaching at a CC that sucks major eggs.

Comment

Entitlement jerk: "I failed the exam, so it must be YOUR fault for not teaching me properly!"

[I will admit, though, that I did once fail an exam and it was entirely the instructor's fault -- he didn't want to teach, he wanted tenure. When asked for help, he'd say "it's all in the book, all you need to do is read it." The book was a xerox of his hand-scribbled, illegible, lecture notes -- no text, no explanations, nothing but his notes to himself on what he was going to mumble in front of the class. BUT -- I didn't take my anger out on him, but myself -- I should have dropped the class so I could take it the next year from another professor, one who was truly interested in helping his students learn! (I got a B that time, without trying.)]
                          I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Panacea, people can reapply if they fail more than once? That makes me so mad, because the idiots are taking up space that good students could have.

At most of the schools around here (CC and BSN alike), you can fail a class or two and be readmitted, no problem. After that, you have to start petitioning to get back in, and that is done through the nursing department.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
                              Panacea, people can reapply if they fail more than once? That makes me so mad, because the idiots are taking up space that good students could have.

At most of the schools around here (CC and BSN alike), you can fail a class or two and be readmitted, no problem. After that, you have to start petitioning to get back in, and that is done through the nursing department.
                              In our program it's a bit odd because we switched to a new curriculum. We also went to using mini-mesters for all but the entry and capstone courses.

If you fail the entry or capstone course, you get one readmission to that course. If you fail it a second time, you must reapply and start the ranking process all over again (and Admissions still controls it).

If you fail a minimester, you must complete that course before you can move from the freshman to the senior level courses. Again, you only get one readmission, but there is a funny quirk because of the mini mesters that makes it possible to get two readmissions.

It's weird. We're still working out the kinks. This is the first year with the new system.

Comment

Working...
                              X