This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• couple quick no sucky sightings

I had to take the wife to town today and saw a couple interesting things.

First was a guy standing on the street corner dressed like the Statue of Liberty. He was holding a sign saying "visit Liberty tax service" on one side, "get more money" on the other. It was 35 degrees outside so I felt so sorry for that poor schmuck having to stand out there and do that.

The other thing was when driving past this one gas station/ quickie mart. Out on the sign that shows the specials or other ads they had the following (name changed to protect the stupid) "John Doe please pay for your bad checks" Interesting tactic there, public humiliation. I guess if it works.

I've heard about that being done to fathers who don't pay child support...posted on billboards! not sure if it is true or not...

I do know I saw something similar in florida...don't remember what the message on the billboard was about, though. Might have been the above but it was so many years ago I can't say my memory is reliable.

I think it's a great tactic.
    I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

I used to pass a car wash everyday, a number of years ago, and they would post "John Doe gave us a bad check," messages on a board out front.

I always wondered how many of the checks were made good later.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Rahmota View Post
        First was a guy standing on the street corner dressed like the Statue of Liberty. He was holding a sign saying "visit Liberty tax service" on one side, "get more money" on the other. It was 35 degrees outside so I felt so sorry for that poor schmuck having to stand out there and do that.
        The thing that gets me is that my taxes are in the mail the day after I get my W-2s. And I drive a lot, so I see them a lot. It always gives me this weird feeling to be watching those guys for almost two months after I've mailed out my returns. It's even weirder to be watching those guys after I've cashed the refund check.

Comment

When the gas prices started going through the roof there were a lot of people filling their tanks then taking off without paying. One station in my area caught a woman that had done this and made her stand out by the road with a sign that read, "I stole gas from (name of station) and drove away." (Or something similar)

She had to do it for a few hours a day for 4 or 5 days. There were radio stations having call-ins to discuss whether or not this was a good thing to do.
          Retail Haiku:
          Depression sets in.
          The hellhole is calling me ~
          I don't want to go.

Comment

Designfox: yes it is true. here is Ohio they actually have old style wanted posters hung up in the post office roadside rest stops and the public buildings of guys (and a few women) who are so far behind on their childsupport. I am divided upon the subject of public humiliation. as a person's failings should be private and the public humiliation circumvents the fairness aspect of a trial. On the other hand some people just shrug off any other punishments. jail time is just an opportunity to learn new job skills or take a vacation away from things. *shrug*

Gurndigarn: i know what you mean. My taxes have been in the mail now for the past three days. Did you see how people have until april 17th this year since the 15th is a sunday and the monday is a holiday in maryland and DC? So thats just that much longer those guys will have to hang out tryign to get the last minute filers in.

RA: here in Ohio they just send a sheriff around to take your liscence if they catch you. One reason a lot of places have gone over to the prepay.

Comment

I have to wait for my W-2 to come. Hopefully, I will get something back.
              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I have so many employers...I will end up with about 4 W-2's this year. (quit last years job in Feb...so one from them. Started new job..one from them...do some work for the Girl Scouts...one from them...and there's a nice lady I do some freelance work for...one from her!) So glad my dad's accountant does mine for free for me
                I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Quoth Rahmota View Post
                  here is Ohio they actually have old style wanted posters hung up in the post office roadside rest stops and the public buildings of guys (and a few women) who are so far behind on their childsupport.
                  In Canada, the province of Alberta has a website for that. Ontario is about to get one too.

Comment

I think I lsot most of my tax forms from employers I wonder how I get new ones.

I usually end up sending my tax forms in a year late anyways (I only JUST got my 2005 rebate).
                    Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Quoth Horsetuna View Post

I usually end up sending my tax forms in a year late anyways (I only JUST got my 2005 rebate).
                      where do you live?
                      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                        I used to pass a car wash everyday, a number of years ago, and they would post "John Doe gave us a bad check," messages on a board out front.
                        Several smaller shops here have signs like that. I've seen them in the hobby shop, garage, and a few other places. And no, I don't have any sympathy for the names on them. If you're writing bad checks, you deserve the humiliation.
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Horsetuna View Post
                          Contact the employer. Most employers' payroll records are computerized and they will print and mail a copy within a few days of the request.

Also, many larger employers turn over the information to the IRS electronically, and if you do your taxes with a computer program you can often download the information you need.

Turn in your tax forms on time. If the IRS needs additional forms or information from you they will contact you. But if your return was filed on time you are usually going to avoid some fees or charges or penalties.*

*Please note: This is not legal opinion or research. The IRS does pretty much anything it wants, when it wants. Filing on time does seem to help, though.
                          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                          HR believes the first person in the door
                          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                          Document everything
                          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Actually, I think Horsetuna is in Canada, in which case you can go to any Revenue Canada service centre (if I knew roughly where you lived, I could tell you which one was closest) to get copies of your past T4s, etc. I've had to do it once or twice (once when I was audited).

General Inquiries number for RevCan, if I recall, is 1-800-959-8281.
                            GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

"John Doe please pay for your bad checks" Interesting tactic there, public humiliation. I guess if it works.
                              Even if it doesn't get that one to pay, it'll make others think twice before doing the same...
                              Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Working...
                              X