This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd old man in a bookstore

I was helping my mom with her errands for work yesterday; at one point she shooed me over to the Borders in the mall down the street.

So I was getting my monthly manga and SF allotment (I tend to buy used books, but a new trade PB had just come out and I had to have it ), and am at the registers when an old guy waltzes in, stands in front of the registers and starts yelling.

OM: Old man
    C: Cashier
    E: Employee called from the floor

C: *looking at me* I can help the next per--
    OM barges in.
    OM: Show me the Jimmy Carter book!
    C: (not quite sure exactly what he means)
    OM: The Jimmy Carter book!
    C: Peace Not Apartheid?
    OM: You can't expect me to know what it's called!
    C: *pages another employee to the front* This employee can help you sir.
    OM: Yeah, I want a book and that girl over there's not helping me.
    C:
    OM: It's the Jimmy Carter book.
    E: Oh, Peace Not Apartheid? Yes, we should have that in stock. It's right over--
    OM: Take me to it!
    E:
    OM: I want you to find the book and bring it to me! Also show me the price!
    C: Sir, I can tell you the price right now. It's--
    OM: No! How do I know what the price is if it's not printed on the book! (eh?)

I didn't see the resolution of this as I got rung out and left, but I could still hear the OM complaining about something or another. The book in question was on one of the tables he had to have walked past to get to the registers.
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 01-27-2007, 07:16 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
    The book in question was on one of the tables he had to have walked past to get to the registers.

Don't you just love that fact, that they do not pay attention.
    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Amazingly, with a few sucky customers, I've gotten away with a stern "Let me finish!". Even more incredibly, they shut up and let me finish, and were happy once I got the rest of my sentence out.

Comment

OM: No! How do I know what the price is if it's not printed on the book!
        That's odd. Does anyone else think he'll bitch because there's some discount or other available, so he can't/doesn't have to pay the listed price?
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

He probably demanded a discount of some sort when he saw the price ("That can't be the price! I remember when...!" Yeah, I remember when mass-market PBs were under $5, but I'm not going around demanding the old prices).

That, or he somehow thought that it's impossible for anyone to know the price of anything if they don't have it in front of them (therefore any quote he is given is a scam). If this guy ever discovers Amazon, I feel for all the poor sellers he bombards with questions.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

He probably demanded a discount of some sort when he saw the price ("That can't be the price! I remember when...!" Yeah, I remember when mass-market PBs were under $5, but I'm not going around demanding the old prices).

That, or he somehow thought that it's impossible for anyone to know the price of anything if they don't have it in front of them (therefore any quote he is given is a scam). If this guy ever discovers Amazon, I feel for all the poor sellers he bombards with questions.
            I remember them $1.95.

I still have some on my shelf with that price on them.

Some of them are bigger than the ones I pay $6.95 for now.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
              That's odd. Does anyone else think he'll bitch because there's some discount or other available, so he can't/doesn't have to pay the listed price?
              A new release (November '06) by Jimmy Carter probably was discounted. Sounds like it was on a new release table. At BN it was probably at least 20%, if not 30% off; Border's is usually the same as far as I know.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                I remember them $1.95.

I still have some on my shelf with that price on them.

Some of them are bigger than the ones I pay $6.95 for now.
                And $6.95 is becoming cheap, if you can find it in mass-market at all

Comment

Working...
                X