Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting off your own nose (long and rambly)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting off your own nose (long and rambly)

I was at the VA hopital yesterday making a trip to the acute care. The VA does things a little differently than regular hospitals from what I've seen. By the time that I got taken care of and sent over to the pharmacy, it was nearing 5:00. The drop off window closes at 5:30, however the staff stays until everyone that is in the pharmacy's lobby has their meds before they close the pickup windows. Okay, no problem - we were told that the absolute latest that we would all be out of there was 6:30, but given the volume they suspected it would be closer to 6. And that was for every single person to get their meds and be done.

Sure enough, at 5:30 the drop off window made a final announcement that it was closing and asked if there was anyone in the lobby that had not already dropped off their scripts. After getting the negative response, the window was closed. We were then asked to come up to the pick up window and give them our names so that they knew exactly who was physically waiting and could put those above other fills (phone refills, computer fills, etc.) Everyone does so and settles back into their seats, or takes up their pacing where they left off. Seems simple, eh?

Sure enough, there always has to be one. Not five minutes later, a little old man was up at the pickup window getting his stuff, when a guy goes storming up to demand how much longer they were going to make him wait. When asked to return to his seat so that they could finish helping the person already at the window, he proceeds to get loud and aggresive about it. Not the best choice, since pretty much everything on the first floor is closed and, hey! security is now curious about the yelling. He then proceeds to scream at the girl in the pickup window about how ridiculous this is and thanks for nothing!! Then he proceeds to storm out - picking up a patrolling security man along the way.

Dude. Seriously. It sounds like you really need those medications and should have waited the extra five minutes to get them.

Come on. Yes, the wait is a bit longer. But they have a huge volume of prescriptions coming in on any give day. And bonus! They are right there. No having to go to a drug store where you still have a wait and only one or two chairs plus a commute to get there. You go right from the doctor to the pharmacy and have a private lobby area for waiting. Trust me, the wait is worth it. Especially considering that I'm uninsured, and the same trip would have cost me well over a couple of hundred dollars to go a regular acute care and pharmacy and probably taken just as long or longer.

Now thats a definate candidate for the happy pills. At least he had a friend to make sure he got out of the building without any further problems.

Comment

WOW he really REALLY needed those meds. Badly.

OK Did he really think the pharmacy gave two shits about getting his meds to him? Did he really think they would stop him from leaving? "PLEASE don't go! Please stay and yell at us some more!" People are so stupid. It's like people in the doctor's office get pissed off and storm out because of the wait time. I'm pretty sure the doctor doesn't lose any sleep over it.
      Oh, "Blah blah blah 'Your Needs'!"

Comment

Seriously. People expect us to have a two minute turn around like a freaking Burger King. Hello, we're getting a chemical ready that you ingest, would you like to give us enough time to make sure that said chemical is correct? Ok then. Yeesh.
        Seriously, there are so many people out there that just need to take a deep breath and smell the roses. Taking a little longer than expected? Ok, we have that nice little massage chair. go hang out, close your eyes, listen to the 8 o'clock mullet music.
        (that's what we call the music loop that seems to play right about that time. Who thought White Snake would be good muzak, anyways?)

Comment

That's one benefit of having the pharmacy in the grocery store. I just go shopping. My old store closed and all our scripts were transferred to the nearest grocery store pharmacy, which shares a lot with Target, Marshalls, Home Goods, a pizza place, and a breakfast/lunch place. I can find plenty to do if necessary. And even the grocery store has a huge prepared food section and a cafe with tables upstairs so I could just hang there, get a snack, and read. And I even got a pleasant surprise, cuz I didn't used to go to this store cuz they were more expensive, but when I was there to pick up my script the first time I discovered that their prices are lower than they used to be. (That said, I always call in my refill ahead of time...I only had to wait last time cuz I got a script for antibiotics for my tonsillitis so I had to wait for them to fill it.)
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
          X