Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This wasn't a trash compactor, but it's still a dumb trash story.

When I was in high school, we got a new chemistry teacher who, aside from being a potential pedophile, was a complete IDIOT. Well, the first thing he has us do with the new school year is start throwing out the old stuff (and some of this stuff had been in the school since it opened in 1929, so we're not kidding around).

Mistake one: He gives me and my friend Samantha, the two biggest spazzes in the class, the job of throwing out the old chemicals.

Mistake two: He tells us to pour them down the sink at the back of the room.

Now, okay, I'm a genius. And Samantha, not being ugly, just truthful, is not. But she was the first to look at me and say "I don't think that's a very good idea." I agreed wholeheartedly.

Us: "Mr. H, won't mixing all these chemicals together probably do something, uh, bad?"

Idiot: "No, no, girls, don't worry about it, this stuff is so old that it won't even do anything if you stick your hand in it."

*whispering to Samantha* "BullSHIIIIIIT."

Still, we had twenty classmates as witnesses to what we were told, so we started pouring. When smoke started rising out of the drain, we called him over.

Idiot: *turns on the water* "Just let that run, it'll rinse everything out."

*SIGH* So we kept pouring. And after a few minutes, Samantha looked down.

"There's water running out from under there."

Long story short, the chemicals ATE THROUGH the damn drain pipe. Chewed a hole completely through it and then the water was just pouring out.

And did our idiot teacher call anyone? NO, that would require a brain cell to smash itself against the inner skull. He mopped up the mess and put a bucket in front of the sink so it wouldn't be used.

It's a miracle I survived that school, I swear.
    "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
      Us: "Mr. H, won't mixing all these chemicals together probably do something, uh, bad?"

Idiot: "No, no, girls, don't worry about it, this stuff is so old that it won't even do anything if you stick your hand in it."
      Now that's just a special kind of stupid right there.
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

If it had been me, I'd probably have turned to the teach and said qoute. "Prove it."
        Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
          2.) (not my story) Friend of mine was working at a grocery store that still used their incinerator. One day he and some other guys noticed if you flicked a bit of flour in the flames, it'd sparkle. Well, one brainiac got the idea of flicking a whole lot more. Grabbing a bad bag of flour, he cut the top open and proceded to throw the whole thing in. The cloud of dust caught fire and a rather large blue flame darted out of the machine only to singe all the hair off his face. Didn't hurt him otherwise, but he learned his lesson.
          He's lucky that's all it did. Flour, when not compressed, is explosive!
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
            He's lucky that's all it did. Flour, when not compressed, is explosive!
            Yup, I remember a story about a flour warehouse exploding after a stack of pallets fell over. Not sure where, and I'm too tired to look it up at the moment
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Is it a bad thing that, whilst wearing a gas mask, I'd have killed to throw all the old chemicals down the sink?
              Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Comment

I would have been the one taking pictures of the fun that ensued and/or trying to disintegrate various objects in the mixture

A friend and I used to sneak copper sulfate out of the chem lab to toss in our little gang's monthly bonfires...apparently doing so is Bad. Shiny green flames though. Saltpeter is also sparkly

Somewhere, I have a nickel that's all rainbowy and deformed from being in a bunsen burner flame for a while.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Wow, I can't believe I forgot to post this.

One week, when we were renovating the store and offices, I was tasked with going through and gathering all the CrapWare in I could find-obsolete and broken hardware, dead or ancient computers and monitors, stuff we couldn't use or sell-basically, all the computer junk. I gathered about 12 assorted towers (386s, 486s and Pentium 1s-total crap), 21 monitors in assorted shapes (only 3 worked at all, and they were all missing colours) and a giant box of old hardware (5 1/2" floppies anybody? How about PC/XT motherboards? Maybe a few old cartrage-stype processors? Oh, 26.6K modems, what a pile of gems!). When asked what to do with it, I was told 'I dunno, get rid of it.'
                  'Do we have a dumpster?'
                  'Kinda. Just use the one out back.'

Boy, is heaving all that CrapWare into a dumpster satisfying. Acolyte likes a big, monitor-created, boom.
                  Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Comment

Working...
                  X