This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How not to get customers

An old store near my house has just reopened as a tv repair shop, it also sells old videos, being a sad guy who like old cartoons and horror movies i decide pop in when i see it open. There are no opening times posted anywhere.
    I go in look at the vidoes which aren't priced and ask how much they are. (i've been in the shop maybe 3 minutes)
    "They're £2 each but we're closing now"
    He then holds the door open for me to leave.

Shockingly i haven't been back.

Hmm, wonder how long THAT place will be around.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I find it pretty typical--when I was in my movie and record-collecting days, I used to find houses with shops in them--they were typically only open a couple hours a day, and by appointment. I think some of these people really didn't want to sell anything.

Comment

Know what you mean. There is, or once was, a used record store in Garfield, NJ, whose opening hours basically boiled down to "When I feel like it", and since the owner (IIRC) wasn't in the best of health, he very seldom felt like it. I can't remember ever seeing that place open, not that I go to Garfield that often.

Comment

Shalom, I'm pretty sure I went to that place once.

Was it part of a strip mall?
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

No, it is/was a storefront at 89 Passaic St., just west of the railroad track. Google earth has a decent shot of the storefront at this link. Damn that's an ugly URL.

(The sign says "Collectable Records", but it seems the actual name of the business is Platter World. This link has some reviews, the newest of which was this past Feb., so it's apparently still in business. They don't seem to have a website[1]; the google place page has their hours as Thursday through Sunday, 12-6 PM. I guess that's pretty close to "when I feel like it"...)

[1] (edit: no website, but they do sell online through musicstack. http://recordwarehouse.musicstack.com/)
            Last edited by Shalom; 03-28-2011, 07:36 PM. Reason: added footnote

Comment

Thanks for the info!!

Once, oh, about 5 years ago the MOTH™ took me to a similar sounding record store.

In or near Garfield.

Small world.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Since we're talking about great ways to avoid business... I used to work for Hardees many moons ago. The city I lived in had two stores and both were open 24 hours. After working a graveyard shift at store #2, I discovered that store always turned off the lot and lobby lights, so only a handful of regulars even realized they were open. Don't know if the owner ever realized, but it was the first store to close. Any guess why?
                A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Shalom,
                  I know the place in Garfield your talking about! I have been going there for years at least twice a month. Platter World is very much open the hours you stated..Thurs- Sunday from 12 noon - 6:00pm. Its that way b/c cause the owner Charlie is 84 and by the way has more energy than me! He is in very good health as far as I can see. Charlie is AWESOME! his knowledge of vinyl and music is astounding. I learn so much from him! Its very much worth the trip. yeah the store is packed with records, but he seems to know where everything is. Its a wonderful place that should not be missed!

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                    Know what you mean. There is, or once was, a used record store in Garfield, NJ, whose opening hours basically boiled down to "When I feel like it", and since the owner (IIRC) wasn't in the best of health, he very seldom felt like it. I can't remember ever seeing that place open, not that I go to Garfield that often.
                    Shalom,
                    I know the place in Garfield your talking about! I have been going there for years at least twice a month. Platter World is very much open the hours you stated..Thurs- Sunday from 12 noon - 6:00pm. Its that way b/c cause the owner Charlie is 84 and by the way has more energy than me! He is in very good health as far as I can see. Charlie is AWESOME! his knowledge of vinyl and music is astounding. I learn so much from him! Its very much worth the trip. yeah the store is packed with records, but he seems to know where everything is. Its a wonderful place that should not be missed!

Comment

Working...
                    X