This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping Mall Suckage

To quote Woody Allen: "Life does not imitate art, it imitates bad television". I could almost imagine the sitcom theme song...

On the weekend my sister was visiting her friend and decided that they both wanted to go see a movie. Being the unimaginative sort that we are, both myself and my brother-in-law also decided to go see this film. We went out, had a quick Subway fresh dinner and made it to the movie theatre with only 10 minutes to spare (6:50pm or so). This movie theatre is located in a shopping mall that closes at 7pm; approximately the time that the movie starts.

While waiting in line, my brother in law decided that he'd go use the washroom, while the rest of us buy his tickets. We do so and wait in the lobby and he doesn't come back. So we decide to go look for him, and search the remaining open places in the mall, which includes a bar on one end and a bowling alley.

After about 15 minutes of this, we finally hear his voice, in the washroom area of the mall which has now been all locked up at closing. My sister, being the nice girl she is, decides to see the movie with her friend while I wander over to the bar to see if they can get ahold of the mall's security (the theory being that the bartenders have a direct line to security if they need it). The bartender facepalms when I tell him the situation and he phones the security guard's cell phone but doesn't get through (what happened to radios?) and leaves a message. I go back to my brother-in-law and wait an additional 10 or 15 minutes. Nobody shows up besides the mall's remaining foot traffic. I return to the bartender who facepalms again and tries to call another guard's cell phone. Another 7 minutes go by while I wait and a security guard finally shows up to let my brother-in-law out of the washroom.

My brother-in-law says that the security guard DID check the washrooms before closing to see if anyone was in there. He shouted that he was locking up but that there was an exit through another door. However unbeknownst to that security guard, the other door was apparently still locked, so there was no way out. Suck in that nobody realized this and apparently the security guards were patrolling/slacking/etc enough that it ended up being an over 30minute wait or so for this to all sort out.

I was able to get a refund for the two movie tickets from the girl at the box office though, since I don't want to walk into a film with that much missing.
    Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Three things...

Why did I imagine that first line read by Jeff Foxworthy?

What movie was it?

And...

At least he didn't have to worry about being stuck and suddenly needing the toilet!

Sucky of the guards, though.
    Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

Not amused. I'd be sending one heck of a complaint letter to the owners of the mall, if I could figure out who they were, that is. On second thought, I wonder what the fire marshall would make of such an experience...
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

After the first round of security guards not showing up, I would have called 911

Comment

I would think a washroom of any sort would be set up such that, even if it were locked from the outside, it could be opened from the inside (you just can't get back in) -- given the distinct possibility that cleaning chemicals' fumes could overwhelm some people, that AND the improperly-locked secondary door are major issues. Then again, at malls, I often see bathrooms with no doors, just airport-style mini-walls in the way to block "visual access".
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

^Yeah, seriously, I don't think I've ever been in a restroom where locking it made it so you couldn't get out, just that you couldn't go in.
            "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
            "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
            Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Working...
            X