Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only use full synthetic oil in my vehicles, I've noticed a significant difference in the way the oil ages, and I want to keep my engines in the best shape, as I either put a hell of a lot of miles on my vehicles, or they sit a lot and I don't want the stuff degrading.

That having been said, I will never buy another Dodge truck, as it requires a special synthetic lubricant for the differentials. $125 for new lubricant every 25,000 miles? Hell with that.

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
      Reminds me of when I went for an oil change and specifically asked for X service which included Y type oil (summer or winter weight, I forget). I came back and they told me the total, which was 3-times as much and was for Q service and full synthetic oil. I had to pay it; what could I do, give them the oil back?
      I don't know about where you are, but here they are required to get a signed estimate before starting the work. (Just like any other automobile work.) So you would have been able to show them your copy of the agreed-upon estimate, and say "This is what I agreed to, THIS is what I'll pay." (The law also says that, if there are going to be significant changes to the estimate, they must - MUST - get your approval on the higher estimate before starting the work.)

Or, in other words, (and I'm sorry to put it this way) you let them rip you off.
      I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
        As this car requires weird stuff like having the brake fluid changed (WTF? I never heard of such a thing), oil changes can be expensive. Hell, just the oil itself is $8/quart for the cheapest variety even if you want to do it yourself. Also it takes 5 liters. Not 5 quarts. This means you have to buy six and hope you don't lose that leftover half-quart before the next change.
        For most cars, changing the brake fluid every 2 years is a good idea, because it absorbs moisture. Also, 5 litres isn't a big crankcase. At least you're not dealing with the "quirks" my vehicle has.

The braking system works on a "total loss" basis with the fluid - i.e. it's used for one brake application, and when the brakes are released, the used fluid is dumped out on the road. As for crankcase capacity, it's 10 [b]gallons[b] of 15W40 CI-4 oil (engine is a Series 60 with EGR, but not new enough to need a DPF or SCR).
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
          Reminds me of when I went for an oil change and specifically asked for X service which included Y type oil (summer or winter weight, I forget). I came back and they told me the total, which was 3-times as much and was for Q service and full synthetic oil. I had to pay it; what could I do, give them the oil back?
          You never went back to that place, I hope. If they can't follow simple instructions, what else are they screwing up?
          I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
            That having been said, I will never buy another Dodge truck, as it requires a special synthetic lubricant for the differentials. $125 for new lubricant every 25,000 miles? Hell with that.
            My soon-to-be-former '99 Blazer uses a special blue transmission fluid in the transfer case, besides the standard red one in the automatic transmission. Nobody else makes this fluid but GM. Fortunately it doesn't require periodic changing. I hope I'll be rid of that car soon... it's been an albatross around my neck since I got it.

Comment

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with the SC in a way here. I recently went to a mechanic who tried to charge me $80 for an oil change and a tire rotation, claiming my Camry only required synthetic oil. I also told this guy it was a scam and went to one down the road. It did require synthetic oil, but a less expensive kind. Their cost for all of this was $45. In my travels, mechanics have ways they do scam the unsuspecting customer, and they'll give this bullshit story to the customer to charge more money because it's synthetic.

But what gets me is on much older cars, mechanics are suddenly making customers fall for this as well. Their car ran fine on conventional oil for years, so why suddenly is it dangerous to use it?

Sorry to say it, but this SC had a point.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                I'm sorry, but I have to agree with the SC in a way here. I recently went to a mechanic who tried to charge me $80 for an oil change and a tire rotation, claiming my Camry only required synthetic oil. I also told this guy it was a scam and went to one down the road. It did require synthetic oil, but a less expensive kind. Their cost for all of this was $45. In my travels, mechanics have ways they do scam the unsuspecting customer, and they'll give this bullshit story to the customer to charge more money because it's synthetic.

But what gets me is on much older cars, mechanics are suddenly making customers fall for this as well. Their car ran fine on conventional oil for years, so why suddenly is it dangerous to use it?

Except the customer's vehicle requires synthetic oil, it's probably never been run on conventional oil, and it's probably one flat rate for synthetic oil or conventional, so your point really doesn't carry.

The driver is responsible for knowing which kind of oil their car uses.

As for older cars on synthetic oil, I've heard it's not good to suddenly change over to synthetic if you've been using conventional previously. So you might have a point there, but for a different reason.
                Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 05-11-2011, 12:21 AM.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post

If your car can run fine on conventional oil and the mechanic told you your car requires synthetic, then yeah it was a pure upsell on his part.

My dad is honest with people - if a car can run fine on conventional, he'll tell them as such. But as I said in my OP if a car's owner's manual states a certain grade of oil that is only available in synthetic, he has no choice in the matter BUT to offer only the synthetic oil. If the wrong oil damages an engine, the claim comes out of his bonus. I don't think he wants that.

Comment

I use a higher grade of oil than necessary on my car, but the mechanic took the time to explain the benefits of doing it vs not doing it to me. Basically, it came down to "Your car has nearly 300k miles on it. You can use the regular oil, and it'll work fine. Or you can use high-mileage oil, and maybe get a bit longer life out of it." I figured the car lasted as long as it has because it was carefully taken care of (ignoring the radiator mishap, thanks FIL), so why not.

But this is one of the reasons I take it to that place, they explain everything they're doing and discuss options. They tell me WHY they're recommending X product instead of Y and let me decide if I want to pay the extra.
                    It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

I think mine takes synthetic too... but I've also had regular in it.
                      Though the big issue for my car isn't the oil so much but the antifreeze. I have to use the pink stuff. The dealer was adamant about that one.

Comment

Working...
                      X