This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First suck I've experienced in a while! Store that just cba

So not posted here in forever..but I don't deal with customers at work anymore, and I haven't experienced much suck from being a customer myself..

Our TV is pretty old and we've been thinking about getting a new one for a while - my boyfriend got a bonus at work for completing a big project so thought we'd splash out and get one. We looked round a few stores, looked online, looked at reviews, and finally decided to go for a 42" LG that was £400 down from £500 from a national chain - we could only find it £20 cheaper online, not worth the hassle of taking a day off work - plus their website said they had it in stock in our local store, so could pick up our new shiny toy that day! Obviously it didn't work like that, otherwise I wouldn't be posting here..

So we turn up there on Saturday, and it wasn't in stock. They said "Sorry (only apology I was to have..), the website sometimes isn't up to date. We can order it for you and you can pick it up Tuesday". We decided to go for it, and paid for it then (after turning down their repeated, hard sell of an extended warranty.)

Turn up Tuesday (yesterday) evening - "The delivery was cancelled. It will definitely definitely be here tomorrow." Notice the lack of apology - and lack of apology when I asked why they didn't bother to call us - "All I can say is it'll definitely definitely definitely be a delivery tomorrow." (He sure likes that word.)

Turn up Wednesday (tonight)...guess what! They got two, and sold them both to other people. Turns out they didn't bother to actually order one in specifically for us, or keep it on hold when it did arrive - they just knew there'd be some on the lorry, and didn't consider the possibility other people might want, yknow, the TV that's in prime position in your store with £100 off. Still no apology..."Our next delivery is Friday."

I made sure they retook my number, told us to ring if anything changed. Wanna bet they don't ring and they don't have it in stock when we turn up? At that point I am going to demand a refund - but can't really afford to buy another until the money is refunded back on to the card. I wanted my shiny toy

This is a legitimate case for contacting corporate with a complaint. You paid for it, it was supposed to arrive, didn't arrive and you were told a definite new date. Again wrong, and guaranteed the next date, and then sold your pre-paid set out from under you. then just a try friday...

Comment

mm, maybe it's time to take it to management? two visits and no merchandise after putting down the cash for it? someone's failing here and it's not you-ask for a manager and explain the situation; if they don't help, keep climbing the chain. no way should this have happened with a payment already made.
      look! it's ghengis khan!
      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

From your description, I am wondering if this is company is what Bill Bailey refers to as the "Pale and Mythical Wardens of the Treasure" ? (Also known as, by Michael McIntyre, the "Bizarre Theatre for the Poor").

If so, then it doesn't surprise me. The Wardens often seem to be not so great at being Wardens <.<

That sucks though. You've paid up money for, basically, a non-existant item.

Comment

I'd say you should have demanded to speak with the Store Manager at that point. Friday, definitely demand to speak to him if they screw you over again. If he doesn't adequately placate you, demand your money back and then file a complaint with corporate.

Comment

Quoth cheese View Post

Our TV is pretty old and we've been thinking about getting a new one for a while - my boyfriend got a bonus at work for completing a big project so thought we'd splash out and get one. We looked round a few stores, looked online, looked at reviews, and finally decided to go for a 42" LG that was £400 down from £500 from a national chain - we could only find it £20 cheaper online, not worth the hassle of taking a day off work - plus their website said they had it in stock in our local store, so could pick up our new shiny toy that day! Obviously it didn't work like that, otherwise I wouldn't be posting here..

So we turn up there on Saturday, and it wasn't in stock. They said "Sorry (only apology I was to have..), the website sometimes isn't up to date. We can order it for you and you can pick it up Tuesday". We decided to go for it, and paid for it then (after turning down their repeated, hard sell of an extended warranty.)
            I have to say it probably isn't a good idea to rely on an online store's website for instock status of anything at a physical store.

My store has the same problem. Our online store constantly says we have items in stock that we don't.

I just went over there just now. There's this one TV stand there, which is not available for purchase online even though it's pictured there. Site says we have it in stock, even though we don't, and in fact have several people with rainchecks waiting for it. And as I mentioned before it isn't available online, so hurry in and buy buy buy!

I don't know the reason for this. There must be a couple systems not meshing or something.

Quoth cheese
            Turn up Tuesday (yesterday) evening - "The delivery was cancelled. It will definitely definitely be here tomorrow." Notice the lack of apology - and lack of apology when I asked why they didn't bother to call us - "All I can say is it'll definitely definitely definitely be a delivery tomorrow." (He sure likes that word.)
            They shouldn't have promised you delivery on Tuesday, because these kinds of things do happen. They should've told you they'd call you when it came in. Then you could have your choice of continuing to wait or getting a refund right away.

Quoth cheese
            Turn up Wednesday (tonight)...guess what! They got two, and sold them both to other people. Turns out they didn't bother to actually order one in specifically for us, or keep it on hold when it did arrive - they just knew there'd be some on the lorry, and didn't consider the possibility other people might want, yknow, the TV that's in prime position in your store with £100 off. Still no apology..."Our next delivery is Friday."
            Yeah, they don't have their shit together. The conspiratorial part of me wonders whether those TVs were sold to people who ponied up for the extended warranty.

Quoth cheese
            I made sure they retook my number, told us to ring if anything changed. Wanna bet they don't ring and they don't have it in stock when we turn up?
            Irv does not take sucker bets.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              My store has the same problem. Our online store constantly says we have items in stock that we don't.
              Kinda like how our company website takes pizza orders for addresses that are 1-2 miles/20+ blocks outside of our allowed delivery area...>_> Today, we finally found out why: Whoever put the info into the website's system just assumed "everything in a 3-mile radius"...Turns out, they never had our actual (mostly simple and RECTANGULAR) delivery area on hand to begin with...they just sorta "guessed" >_<

edit: Apparently, this has now been corrected.
              Last edited by EricKei; 05-06-2011, 01:04 AM.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Given the hard sell on the extended warranty, I'm sort of with Irv on this one - they might be selling them to people who buy the extended warranty first, since that's where they're actually making money. At £100 off, they're probably selling the TV itself at cost.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  Kinda like how our company website takes pizza orders for addresses that are 1-2 miles/20+ blocks outside of our allowed delivery area...>_> Today, we finally found out why: Whoever put the info into the website's system just assumed "everything in a 3-mile radius"...Turns out, they never had our actual (mostly simple and RECTANGULAR) delivery area on hand to begin with...they just sorts "guessed" >_<
                  are you sure you do not work for my pizza company?????? they can NEVER get the delivery areas right even AFTER they themselves change the areas.

we still get orders from WAY outside our area and DEEP in another stores territory/area. and they come in as valid addresses for our area
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Hanzoku View Post
                    Given the hard sell on the extended warranty, I'm sort of with Irv on this one - they might be selling them to people who buy the extended warranty first, since that's where they're actually making money. At £100 off, they're probably selling the TV itself at cost.
                    That shouldn't matter. The original poster paid for the TV and should get first dibs at the TV's when they come in.

Comment

Of course that's what should happen, but if the company or manager is a bit shady, it's not what will happen.

Comment

RM -- quite sure ^_^

-- you live among the green and gold. I live among the black and gold

-- our total number of stores nationwide can be counted on the digits of a single human being's appendages

-- we are not yet at the point at which we could intrude on one another's territories; most cities have only one location. at least, for now....MUWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAAAAA....
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Two things:

1) Call before you show up for your TV
                          2) Ask for the manager when you call and insist he/she confirm the TV is reserved for you.

Definitely complain to management. Sh*t happens, but the amount of mess-ups and lack of apologies suggest there's something going on behind the scenes. If multiple people are brushing you off without apology, it doesn't say much for the quality of the workplace.
                          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

"Pale and Mythical Wardens of the Treasure" ? Never heard of that...googled it but nope, not there! Do they even have TVs out on show? It was a big electrical store, one of the ones beginning with C

So..bf rang before we went, we turned up and...yay! They actually had it!
                            He was the one paying for it and didn't want to complain. I don't think they were purposefully withholding it from us because we didnt pay for an extended warranty - everyone we dealt with were just grumpy teenage boys working part time after college most likely, who probably didn't care, didn't bother to pass on the message to hold the tv for us, figured it'd be someone else on shift the next day who'd have to deal with it.

At least we have it now, and it works, and good job no one took that bet!

Comment

Quoth cheese View Post
                              "Pale and Mythical Wardens of the Treasure" ? Never heard of that...googled it but nope, not there! Do they even have TVs out on show? It was a big electrical store, one of the ones beginning with C

So..bf rang before we went, we turned up and...yay! They actually had it!
                              He was the one paying for it and didn't want to complain. I don't think they were purposefully withholding it from us because we didnt pay for an extended warranty - everyone we dealt with were just grumpy teenage boys working part time after college most likely, who probably didn't care, didn't bother to pass on the message to hold the tv for us, figured it'd be someone else on shift the next day who'd have to deal with it.

At least we have it now, and it works, and good job no one took that bet!
                              Ah, Bill Bailey did a joke about that store too...in a song...the store's name ended up rhyming with the line "these are my worries"

The Pale and Mythical Wardens of the Treasure are Argos employees. I was one for a very short time, but they hate goths and made up a bunch of crap to sack me, and another goth.

Comment

Working...
                              X