This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way to treat your fellow vendors.

This is the first real suck we've experienced since we started vending about 9 months ago, and if you can damn well believe it, it was from another vendor, not a customer. (seriously, our customers have been pretty awesome. Sure, we get the occasional oddballs who want something for a ridiculous price or who window shop for 20 minutes without buying anything, but I expect all that and don't really see it as sucky. We've also had a couple of items swiped off our table before, but since I don't know who's responsible for those, I can't really do anything about it...)

We were vending at an outdoor market place today. We haven't vended outdoors much; we started (and still primarily do) anime conventions, which are usually held in hotels. This was the third outdoor show we've done, and the first time we were in this particular area. The booth spot we had was pretty front and central to the road, which is why we requested it, if it was open.

We were tearing down at the end of the day. We'd already hauled about half of our stuff (all of our merchandise) to our car, which was parked on the road really close to our booth spot. We were in the process of folding up/tearing down all of our "hardware", ie table, chairs, tent, etc. We were taking down our tent and trying to get the canopy folded up. We had most of the rest of our stuff off to the side and out of the way; our table was folded up into a 3x2.5ft square laying on the ground, off to the side of where our booth spot was. There were other vendors all around us also tearing down, walking past us to get to and from their cars, etc.

Suddenly this other vendor (SV, for Sucky Vendor) from a few spots behind us comes walking past us and snarls, "Sure would be nice if you could move yourselves and your crap out of the walkway!" as he gives our table a shove with his foot.

My husband and I about dropped the canopy and stared at him, flabbergasted. He walked right past us without even stopping; his car was parked right next to ours and he was hauling his own load to his car. My husband and I exchanged a look as SV walked back to his booth. We were about done packing everything up at this point, so we grabbed some stuff, including the offending table, and headed toward our car. SV was on his way back to his car with another load, and the following "conversation" took place:

Me - hello!
    H - my husband
    SV - sucky vendor
    SVW - sucky vendor's wife

Me: You know, we're trying to tear down our stuff and get out of here as quickly as possible too.
    SV: Yeah, well so am I!
    H: What a jerk.
    SVW: Well, your stuff really IS in our way.
    Me: If you had asked us politely if we could move it, we would have been happy to. You didn't have to be a jerk about it!
    SVW: Well, I dunno if you folks are new here or what, but MOST vendors realize they have to keep their stuff out of the main walkway!

Okay, let's recap.

The only item that was in their way was a single folded up table laying on the ground. It was off to the side of our booth spot and certainly was not taking up the entire area. They had been getting through just fine for the last several trips they had been making to and from their car, and there was plenty of room to walk around the table. There were people on all sides of us tearing down, so no matter where we had put the table, it would probably have been in somebody's way, if they wanted to get pissy about it. Plus, our booth spot does not equal the main walkway. Sure, people were walking through it 'cuz we were mostly torn down and obviously leaving soon, and we didn't care if cutting through our space was the quickest way to their car. If we had still been set up at that time, what were they gonna do, shove our displays over to get through?

As we were hauling our final load of stuff to our car, a nice older lady who had been vending next to us came up to me and said quietly, "Don't you worry about him, honey." I almost burst into tears at that point; funny how someone being a jerk doesn't make me cry, but someone being nice to me does.

This is relatively minor in the grand scheme of things. What really irks me is that this was another vendor being so nasty to us. I thought crafters and artisans were supposed to stick together. :\
    Last edited by MaggieTheCat; 05-07-2011, 11:26 PM.

Yes and MOST vendors realize that word of mouth gets around real fast when it comes to not doing business with someone.

The years I spent at conventions and other events selling stuff for the gamestore I worked for (many many many moons ago, when I was young and didn't know better), we learned real fast who to be buddies with and who to avoid like the plague. My boss would bend over backwards for someone.

Need to borrow our cell phone to make a call to approve a credit card? Sure! But when one vendor borrowed our cell phone (and this is back in 1994 when you paid for everything), and made several long distance calls, he put an end to that. One person ruined it for everyone. The same vendor got pissy when my boss wouldn't give him the "vendor discount" after the cell phone shenanigans. Well, we didn't have a vendor discount. We just got good deals on the stuff we bought from our suppliers and passed the savings onto everyone. Want a discount? Buy our store membership and save 10%. Otherwise, you pay the same as everyone else without a membership.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Every group of people has its jerks, EWs and creepers. Usually they're not the majority, thank god.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Jeez, who pooped in thier cheerios?

Yeah I've had my share of bad "neighbors" as we call the people who share a building with us. We've had neighbors who let thier customers stand in front of our displays while they try to sell thier merchendise, We've had people giving us the stink eye (usually other quilters, sadly), or walking right up to us and saying we should just leave the show/stop doing business.

I do have one story to share. Way back when I owned a toy store, I used to travel down to the WTC in Dallas for Market twice a year to look at new merchandise.
        They used to have a building called "Cash and Carry" where basically you could buy stuff for your store and take it with you instead of waiting for it to be shipped. A lot of the items were actually geared towards things that the shop owners would purchase for themselves at a discount, but I digress.
        At the Cash and Carry building they had a section roped off for people to leave thier larger purchases and pick them up in the evening before the building closed. I got to chatting with one of the security people one day and I found out that many times, store owners would just grab stuff from the cash and carry that they saw and liked, since it worked on the honor system.
        So basically it's store owners stealing from other store owners.
        https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          Every group of people has its jerks, EWs and creepers. Usually they're not the majority, thank god.
          Unfortunately, that minority is usually the most noticable and thus end up giving the entire group a disproportionately bad reputation.
          Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Quoth Syriilord View Post
            Unfortunately, that minority is usually the most noticable and thus end up giving the entire group a disproportionately bad reputation.
            Yeah, I agree with this. A group who runs Sci Fi conventions stopped having dealers rooms because one of the dealers who was at every event would blag the key to the room before it was official open for set up and rearrange the tables, take more than he was allocated etc. One time he couldn't get the key so actually broke into the room to do his set up.

Now that group don't have dealers rooms at all which annoys me a lot since we used to pick up some really nifty stuff in them. Now to get that stuff I'd have to go to the 'cattle market' signature hunter shows that give me panic attacks due to the crappy layouts. Its seriously reduced the benefits of the convention for me because a few people couldn't wait an hour or two and stick to what they paid for.
            I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
              Yeah, I agree with this. A group who runs Sci Fi conventions stopped having dealers rooms because one of the dealers who was at every event would blag the key to the room before it was official open for set up and rearrange the tables, take more than he was allocated etc. One time he couldn't get the key so actually broke into the room to do his set up.
              That does sound unfair, I'd have just banned the dealers who were causing trouble if it was up to me.
              How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                That does sound unfair, I'd have just banned the dealers who were causing trouble if it was up to me.
                I agree. Surely they could figure out who was the culprit and blanket ban him. That's how it goes at the big convention I hit each year. You screw up that badly? Good luck getting anywhere with the con next year.
                "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I'm wondering if the Sucky Vendor maybe didn't sell as much as everyone else at the event, and was in a bad mood because of that.

Not excusing his behavior AT ALL. Just maybe trying to find a reason for his attitude.

Then again, he could just be an asshole jerkface, so...
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I'm pretty lucky...I don't vend myself but I do run a flea market that's once a month and my vendors have all been really cool. I hope it continues to be that way!
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                      I'm wondering if the Sucky Vendor maybe didn't sell as much as everyone else at the event, and was in a bad mood because of that.
                      I was wondering that, too. I'm finding that spring/summer shows don't do as well as fall/winter shows, since in the fall/winter, people are buying more gifts for Christmas and such. We did a show last month and did not do so well. We did pretty good at this show due to a fairly large sale by a single person, so we got a little lucky. But I could totally see him (and any other vendor) not doing so well and being upset about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X