This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handicap convenience

Again, I have respect for people who need extra assistance and who need to park in handicapped spots. I do NOT have respect for people who use them to park close to an entrance and are physically fine, like people who use someone else's placard to do this.

At Wal-Mart this past weekend, this lady in a Buick was backing up from the handicapped spot, then stopped. I was waiting for her to leave, but she then started backing up more, not noticing me behind her. I blew my horn, and she was startled then pissed. She literally floored the gas, went down to the end of the aisle, then shot around to the next aisle, finally skidding to a stop in front of the garden department.

As I was heading in her direction, the lady got out of her car, still fuming, and started loading very heavy bags of fertilizer into her trunk. We're talking about bags that weigh 30, maybe 40 pounds, and five bags to boot!

Again, I have respect for the people with special needs, but not ones with special privileges. Obviously, this woman was not handicapped on her driving, her temper, nor with her ability to do heavy lifting.

don't they have loading zones for that stuff (loading zones which are usually always as far as I have ever seen better placed)?
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Does rage handicap count? I swear some people have such rage/road rage issues it should be a problem. doesn't mean they need that spot

The only real exception I have seen to having and using the handicap tag was from my friend but she had the dr give her the right forms so that she could have her name put on it to help her husband who could no longer drive without someone in the car and it was just easier for her to drive for him as the hadicap spot really did help as it's closer for both of them. Her PTSD keeps her from working but you'd never know this upon meeting her.

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
        don't they have loading zones for that stuff (loading zones which are usually always as far as I have ever seen better placed)?
        My MIL has a handicap tag for her father who is 92 and has trouble walking ling distances. I see no problem with that, she uses it when he's in the car and when he's not she parks elsewhere.

Comment

I thought they had loading zones for that stuff.

Comment

My bf's parents won't get him a temporary placard for when they have to take him places, yet they whine about having to park so far away.

The other Saturday, there was a limo parked in the fire lane. For prom kids.

Why anyone would want to go to WALMART for prom is beyond me.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I have a handicap placard. I can't drive - I just put it on the dashboard of whatever car I'm in, making sure it's clearly visible.

That's how my city handles the 'person driving for a disabled person' situation.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I do have to point out that it is possible to be a valid user of a disabled placard and yet be able to lift such heavy bags. For example: I have Achilles Tendonitis, which makes it very painful sometimes to walk any great distance. Yet I have no problem lifting heavy weights, my back and arms are fine. So if I can get the load near the disabled persons' parking, I can lift it into the car myself.

Remember: be careful when trying to determine if someone is justified in their use of the placard -- there are MANY qualifying ailments that aren't so visible on first glance. (For example of this, my father: he had cardiac disease, and couldn't walk far, but what distance he was able to walk he could walk just fine.) It is quite possible this person you saw was qualified to use that spot. Me, I doubt it also, but it is a possibility.
                I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                  Why anyone would want to go to WALMART for prom is beyond me.
                  Didn't you know Walmart + prom = classy.
                  ......../\
                  ....../__\
                  ..../\...../\
                  ../__\../__\

Comment

I have a handicap placard, and yes it is for me. I hike and carry heavy things for work and am generally very fit. The reason I have the card, I destroyed my knee about 6 years ago now in a workplace accident. It is mostly healed and usually just fine to carry on as normal. On bad days, it will lock and act up, these are the days I need the card and walk with a cane that I keep in the truck for those times. The doc says I may need surgery in a few years and is the one that insists I keep the handicap card for when I need it.

Comment

MANY qualifying ailments that aren't so visible on first glance
                      This.

I don't know if she had tags or not - it wasn't specifically stated in the original post but... if she had tags then I'd rather give her the benefit of the doubt. Although there are some out there who refuse to believe that "invisible handicaps" exist, that doesn't make it true.

It's probably best to notify the authorities and have them sort it out. The police have the legal right to ask to see the driver's license and see if it matches the tags - or if the tags belong to a passenger. Then, if they find the driver was truly abusing someone else's tags, they can issue a ticket, which will also incur hefty fines. (In CA I think it's 65% of the tag fee.)

Otherwise you run the risk of foot-in-mouth issues, and extreme embarrassment.
                      Last edited by PepperElf; 05-12-2011, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I had one of those after my car accident for about a year. I'm almost tempted to see if I can get one again sometimes since occasionally my leg hurts so bad I can hardly walk.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                          As I was heading in her direction, the lady got out of her car, still fuming, and started loading very heavy bags of fertilizer into her trunk. We're talking about bags that weigh 30, maybe 40 pounds, and five bags to boot!
                          I can do heavy lifting without any trouble at all. But on a bad arthritis day, I can't walk without crippling pain, and that's what the placard would be for if I ever got around to getting one. She drove like a cow, but that doesn't mean she isn't legitimately disabled.
                          GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

This inspired me to look up what qualifies for a disabled permit and guess what...my boyfriend could totally get one based on the fact that he has a chronic heart condition.

Printed out the app including the portion for the dr to fill out
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Yeah, a lot of heart conditions qualify for the tags.

Mom's a-fib qualifies her for tags but she likes to walk. She tires out more easily than she use to but that's usually when Dad goes and gets the car & drives it up to the entrance to pick her up.

Comment

Working...
                              X