This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training the BF not to be an SC...

So while I was in Chicago a few weeks ago, Rob and I happened to go to the bank. He had his tax refund cheque to deposit, so off we went. Don't even get me started on his paranoia with banks... He's a bit of a loon in that respect

Me: (well duh), BF: Rob, AT: Awesome Teller (who happened to be about 15 months pregnant)

BF: I'd like to cash this cheque please.
    AT: I can give you back what you've already got in the account, but no more than that. There's a one-day hold on the cheque.
    BF: WHAT??? This is a GOVERNMENT-ISSUED CHEQUE. You can't put a hold on a check drawn on the government's own bank!!!
    AT: I'm sorry sir, it's policy that ALL cheques have at least a one-day hold.
    BF: But this is a GOVERNMENT CHEQUE. This is just so incredibly stupid! I'm going to close all my accounts and go elsewhere!!!!!

At this point, I stepped in.

Me: Rob, it's not the teller's fault, don't yell at her.
    BF: But it's a STUPID POLICY, and I want them to know I'm not happy about this.
    Me: Rob, can the teller change the policy?
    BF: No, but...
    Me: Rob, will yelling at the teller get you what you want?
    BF: No, I suppose it won't.
    Me: Will threatening to take your business elsewhere make the slightest bit of difference?
    BF: No.
    Me (to AT): We'll take the full amount you *can* give us, and he'll return for the rest another day. Thank you!

He's still standing there grumbling as she goes about her business and I quietly turned to him and said, "Look, you can look around for another bank that doesn't have a hold policy over the next few weeks, and then you can move your stuff over there and be done with it. Giving this poor kid a hard time is not fair, it's beneath you, and you should be ashamed for speaking to a pregnant lady that way!" He actually hadn't noticed that, and it was kind of mean for me to mention it, because he's Mr. Chivalry most of the time, and doesn't believe pregnant women should have to work (i.e. should be taken care of, etc.)

He actually apologized though, so I'm pretty happy about that. Of course, as we walked back to the car, he had to make one more oddball comment. "Her husband should step up and take care of her! She shouldn't be working in her condition!" *rolls eyes*
    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Maybe there's hope for him yet.

Some people don't even realize that killing the messenger is not helpful and that they're being unreasonable and nasty. They're just mad and expressing it the first way that comes to mind.

It's when they don't grow up and realize what they've done is when there's a problem. Sounds like your guy can be reasoned with.

Comment

He can... most of the time
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

BF: WHAT??? This is a GOVERNMENT-ISSUED CHEQUE. You can't put a hold on a check drawn on the government's own bank!!!
        if it was a large amount (i think greater than $1k), he's sol; almost all banks that i know of will hold on a large check or checks from a new account, etc.

it sucks, but it's the price honest people pay due to the crooked ones pulling scams, bouncing checks, etc. they don't pay, we do.
        look! it's ghengis khan!
        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

The rules for holds are convoluted, but US Treasury checks have a maximum hold of one business day. The twist here is: if you make the deposit in the afternoon, after the bank's end-of-day cutoff, then the day of deposit is the next business day, and you won't be able to withdraw the funds for two days. (Longer if there's a weekend or holiday in the meantime.)

It sounds like the bank automatically enforces the maximum allowable hold time for all deposits. Not all banks do that.
          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

In the US, at least, don't the Check21 regulations/laws (not sure which they are) technically allow banks to place a hold of up to 21 days on all deposited checks (with the probably exception of US Treasury checks)? Not that any bank would do that, it would run off all of their business...
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Actually, no. Check 21 shortened hold times by forcing all banks (at great expense, which is why mine hadn't done it before) to accept checks processed electronically, rather than waiting for the physical checks to arrive. It was proposed following the 9/11 attacks, when all planes were down for several days, leading to delays in check processing. Now that all banks in the US are processing electronically, the longest a bank can hold funds on a check is 7 business days (9 if it's a new customer).

The Wikipedia article on Funds Availability has a pretty good breakdown of holds.

Banks always have the option of releasing the funds earlier, but a lot of larger banks do automatic holds on all checks deposited. At my bank, we pretty much only do holds for large dollar amounts (over $5000) or exception holds where we doubt the collectability (such as the customer telling us the account is closed, that there's not sufficient funds, or it's an obvious scam and they want to deposit it anyway).
              "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
              -Mira Furlan

Comment

Thanks! I must have been thinking of something else.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                X