This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not optional price

So my boyfriend's mum was having a garage sale and selling all the leftover products from their shop, which shut down (it just didn't work out, it wasn't anything to do with how they conducted business). Among these items was icecream. As in individual Magnums, Calippos, Paddle Pops and so on.

They were offering them at $160 for the LOT (not sure how much they were offering them individually). Some guy came in and offered my boyfriend's mum $20 for the lot.

She flipped her lid. He's now not welcome back tomorrow.

Turns out the guy is a local who goes around to garage sales and haggles items down SEVERELY.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

I read this as "Not Optimus Prime" It's what happens when I read CS on very little sleep.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I do want to say that nobody goes to garage sales expecting to pay $160 or anywhere near it for any item. I think the best thing would have been to sell them individually at a dollar or two a piece. However, I will agree that the offer for $20 would be quite insulting.
      Last edited by jjc927; 05-15-2011, 02:41 AM.

Comment

She flipped her lid? Was he pushing the issue or something?
        Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

OK, I should explain this a bit better....

The icecreams in question she had bought in bulk intending to sell in a shop-because the shop itself didn't work out so well, she was trying to get rid of the stuff and also recoup some of the costs, since she doesn't have another job to go on at the moment (as she also has a young adult daughter with disabilities to care for). The icecreams she was selling for roughly $1.60 each. Originally they varied in price between $1.00 and $3.20. That's Australian dollars folks. And this was the good quality stuff: it was the individual Magnums, the individual Heaven icecreams and whatnot, it wasn't just Paddle Pops. She was selling this at a loss because she wanted to get rid of it, but she also wanted to recoup some of her costs back.

He was pushy as well, he refused to hear her out on any of her offers. He was OK with the other stuff she was selling in terms of price (i.e. she had some other random toys and kid's stuff that was being sold) and he didn't haggle down on the other stuff. He only haggled her down on the icecreams. She offered $150 for the lot and then $140 and he refused to hear it.

We still have all this stuff back at the house at the moment. The icecreams are being held in storage with the intention to sell them further down the track at a market or something, but individually, not in bulk. She's also got a hot potato oven, some storage shelves and cupboards, a TON of drinks and more. The drinks she's letting me, my boyfriend and my friend have while we house-sit during the week, but she's charging $1 for them, which we think is fair in itself, as the drinks in question normally go for $3 retail. (so we set up a jar in the house-whenever we buy a drink, we put $1 in the jar. End of the week, the jar goes back to my boyfriend's mum)
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
          X