Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know the songs, but I don't always know the name of the band. I'm sure I've heard tons of Stevie Nicks, I love old school rock, but ask me to name a song and I'd come up blank.

Not everybody cares about the names of musicians/buy their albums/whatever. Some people just enjoy the music when they hear it.
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
      First off, not knowing who Stevie Nicks is, is just plain ignorant. Second, I'd have been backing sloooooooowly away as they approached. Seriously.
      Hey! I resemble that remark. I didn't know who Stevie Nicks is until I read this thread and Googled her. Even if she is 5 months older than me. I've been into country music, not rock music, most of my life.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
        I know the songs, but I don't always know the name of the band. I'm sure I've heard tons of Stevie Nicks, I love old school rock, but ask me to name a song and I'd come up blank.

Not everybody cares about the names of musicians/buy their albums/whatever. Some people just enjoy the music when they hear it.
        I used to be like that when I was younger. I knew some of the names of groups I liked, and I knew all of the songs I liked, but I had a really hard time matching them up.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

...Doesn't know who Stevie Nicks is??

Either he's a Philistine or I'm a hundred.

I guess I'm a hundred; in an earlier thread someone mentioned Children of Bodom and I was like, "Oo, I know who they are!"

Love, Who?

My lawn, get off it

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
            There were a few of her songs (e.g. "Dreams" with FM) where the title was not obvious from the song, so that's forgivable.

(Led Zep had a few of those as well. "Black Dog", "Trampled Underfoot", "The Crunge", "The Ocean", etc.)

Comment

Heh. That kind of implies that if the name is obvious from the chorus that I should know what it is and who it's by. And remember it forever. But how would I know the name of the singer? The song doesn't usually say.... Unless it's The Monkees.

So how am I, from listening to it, to know it's Stevie Nicks?

Edit: went to Youtube. Having now correctly placed the name to the songs I know, yes I could sing along word-for-word with half her stuff. But I don't own any of her or Fleetwood Mac's albums, I'm honestly not really a fan.
              Last edited by spark; 05-20-2011, 05:14 AM.
              The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

Hahaha, IA, I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to insult anybody. I guess different people like different music, and that's cool too.
                "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                  ...I've been into country music, not rock music, most of my life.
                  Country is music?

(Cranks up Tom T. Hall)
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                    Speaking of which Stevie has a new album out now...can't recall the name right off hand.
                    "In Your Dreams," I think. Only just got it the other day, and I'm only 4 songs in. So far it's better than the last album (minus a few songs, which were awesome) but not as good as, say, "Bella Donna."

Comment

Quoth Skeen View Post
                      "In Your Dreams," I think. Only just got it the other day, and I'm only 4 songs in. So far it's better than the last album (minus a few songs, which were awesome) but not as good as, say, "Bella Donna."
                      I heard one track she did with Lindsey Buckingham and wasn't too impressed...there won't be anything like her first one and for FM Rumours.....Stevie and Lindsay added magic to Fleetwood mac in my opinion.
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                        I heard one track she did with Lindsey Buckingham and wasn't too impressed...there won't be anything like her first one and for FM Rumours.....Stevie and Lindsay added magic to Fleetwood mac in my opinion.
                        Stevie and Lindsay ARE Fleetwood Mac to me. He's got a new album due in September, I think, and there are rumors (maybe confirmed by now) of a FM album next year.

And as long as this album doesn't end up anything like "Rock a Little" I think I'll be mostly happy with it. Or "Street Angel," that one sucked too.

But seriously, how do you not know who Stevie Nicks is? I mean, she's been around forever, everyone has at least heard her name before.

Comment

Unless you buzz around classic rock circles, she just wouldn't come up. I think this thread and some VH1 special are the only times I've heard that name in the last 6-some years.

Honestly, their music puts me to sleep. Total snooze-fest for me.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

That's her on the right, isn't it?

When he asked for a favorite artist, I would have said Marcel Marceau.

"Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
                              When he asked for a favorite artist, I would have said Marcel Marceau.
                              Oh, no, no, no... Far too highbrow.

Go for Joseph Pujol.

I only know he exists 'cause my middle aunt (the joker of the crew) named her dog after his stage name.

^-.-^
                              Last edited by Andara Bledin; 05-21-2011, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                                Country is music?

(Cranks up Tom T. Hall)
                                Absolutely. Check out the Fun Song Game on the Forum Games area. I've posted a lot of Jim Reeves' songs, and other country artists. I've also posted a number of non-country songs.
                                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                                X