Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Know what, Verizon? I can play this game alllllll night.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Know what, Verizon? I can play this game alllllll night.

So I hear Verizon has decided to do away with unlimited data. Maybe that's why I keep getting knocked off the network. That's ok; I just log right back on. Don't like that I surf for hours at a time? Too bad. You offered it, I pay for it, and I am stubborn. That reminds me: gotta go post in MiM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

My husband used to have one of their ancient 10-cents-a-minute plans, and his contract was apparently good as long as his phone lasted. They kept trying to push him to upgrade his phone or change plans, but he had it for five and a half years before finally deciding to upgrade to a smart phone (with another company). The old cell phone is still in working condition. :P
    It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Where as Boost Mobil has just dropped the price of their unlimited plan. *shrugs* Not sure how good 'Boost' is though.
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth LadyAndreca View Post
        My husband used to have one of their ancient 10-cents-a-minute plans, and his contract was apparently good as long as his phone lasted. They kept trying to push him to upgrade his phone or change plans, but he had it for five and a half years before finally deciding to upgrade to a smart phone (with another company). The old cell phone is still in working condition. :P

I've got a "legacy" plan with Verizon that I'm going to hold onto, thank you very much. (America's Choice II) The great thing about this plan is, if you don't have a smartphone, you get free data. All it does is use up your minutes, and after 9PM and all day on weekends it's totally free. So what, I hear you ask? Without a smartphone, who needs free data? Sure you can install Opera Mobile (and I have), but what good is that with a 120x160 screen and no keyboard? Well, see, this particular phone attaches to your laptop and turns into a modem, and if you know the magic AT commands, you can do so at broadband speeds.

I keep getting calls from Verizon wondering why I'm still talking on a 2005-vintage phone, and how come I haven't exercised my right to a free phone upgrade on the New Every 2 program, which I'm about 3 years overdue for by now. Simple: if I get a new contract I lose the ACII plan, and there goes my free broadband. No thanks gentlemen...

Comment

wait what? I pay 30 bucks a month for data plans for smart phones in my plan, are they not going to be unlimited anymore? for smart phones?
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
            I keep getting calls from Verizon wondering why I'm still talking on a 2005-vintage phone, and how come I haven't exercised my right to a free phone upgrade on the New Every 2 program, which I'm about 3 years overdue for by now. Simple: if I get a new contract I lose the ACII plan, and there goes my free broadband. No thanks gentlemen...
            Ok, either I'm a unique case, or Sprint does things differently. My plan doesn't change when I get the free upgrade every two years. They renew the contract, but all the details and extras and stuff I've built up for being a "loyal" (read: haven't quit or skipped payments on them in eight years) customer stay put.

But yeah, losing on an awesomely cheap plan just because you were doing the free phone upgrade? That's kind of silly, and even sillier for the reps to act all surprised that you'd rather have an old phone and a super cheap plan than a new phone that costs an arm and a leg just to send a text message.
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I have Verizon as well and just renewed my contract - they told me that as long as I keep renewing my contract will stay the same, getting an upgraded phone doesn't change that. I plan on keeping my contract for quite awhile though because one company I still kinda-sorta work for gets me a 20% discount on my phone plans (which is why the family's plan is in my name). As long as I just keep renewing the contract I don't have prove I still work there. But I just added a data plan for my mothers phone (she got a Droid) and they didn't mention phasing out unlimited data.

Comment

Quoth Indigo View Post
                But I just added a data plan for my mothers phone (she got a Droid) and they didn't mention phasing out unlimited data.
                Same here. My sis-in-law just got the Droid 2 yesterday. I fell in love with it last week, and I have a $100 credit to use...my s-i-l had a $50 off lowest price deal. At first she didn't care for the phone, but it fit her requirements, so she got it. She loves it. I want one, but my phone works great, and I can't afford the data plan at the moment.
                I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                  Same here. My sis-in-law just got the Droid 2 yesterday. I fell in love with it last week, and I have a $100 credit to use...my s-i-l had a $50 off lowest price deal. At first she didn't care for the phone, but it fit her requirements, so she got it. She loves it. I want one, but my phone works great, and I can't afford the data plan at the moment.
                  Yea, after playing with my Mom's Droid I really want one. But I can't justify doubling my cell phone bill or the extra money I would have to shell out for the phone just yet. I think I may get one after I graduate and get a full-time job though.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                    wait what? I pay 30 bucks a month for data plans for smart phones in my plan, are they not going to be unlimited anymore? for smart phones?
                    No. They cannot change your contract. They can "encourage" you to drop the plan but they cannot force you out of it.

My boyfriend has the same issue with T-mobile. He has unlimited data and they no longer want to support it. What they told him was this ... "If you upgrade your phone at the 2yr mark you will have to take this new contract and lose your unlimited data."

If he wants to remain grandfathered in, he has to stay on the phone he already has, or pay the "no contract" price for a new phone.

That's pretty much all the carrier can do... they can't kick you out of your plan, but they can "encourage" you to leave it.
                    Last edited by PepperElf; 06-03-2011, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                      My boyfriend has the same issue with T-mobile. He has unlimited data and they no longer want to support it. What they told him was this ... "If you upgrade your phone at the 2yr mark you will have to take this new contract and lose your unlimited data."

If he wants to remain grandfathered in, he has to stay on the phone he already has, or pay the "no contract" price for a new phone.
                      That doesn't sound right...unless the plan is tied to the phone (older phone, older portion of the network/billing tier). Even still it doesn't quite make sense

We're on a 'legacy' family plan that's actually better/cheaper than anything ATT has now and the rep told us to keep it. I actually had a data plan that my old phone couldn't use. All I had to pay for my new Droid was the in-contract price (the rep got me a coupon + student deal so I got $50 off) and an extra $5/month for data.

It works really well for me as a lot of my petsitting clients prefer texts rather than phone calls for daily check-ins (why waste minutes just to say 'everything's fine").
                      Last edited by Dreamstalker; 06-03-2011, 01:43 PM.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Good thing I got my Droid X before this change of policy, then. I think I'll be sticking with my new phone and current plan for as long as I can.
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

That's what they told him.... they told him if he uses the "free* phone / upgrade" policy it will mean a new 2yr contract and that since it'll be a new contract it won't include unlimited data.

*free or $ towards a new phone etc.

Comment

I think the confusion (and I don't have a cell phone so I may be wrong) basically comes down to how much they want to pay for a new phone.

If they want to get the phone cheap, they have to upgrade or otherwise change the plan. But if they want to stay on the same plan, they can only buy a new phone outright.

Now if they can't buy the phone outright and stay on the same plan with that new phone, then something must be really screwed up IMO.

Comment

One more reason I've heard to avoid T-Mobile. I had some friends who had it for a while and found that the boatload of "anytime" minutes they were paying for weren't as "anytime" as the company claimed, and ended up switching to a plan that let them pay the same price and get a lot more talking time.

And Jetfire, it does seem to depend on the company. When I upgrade my phone every two years, it's the free (or money toward) option, yet my plan doesn't change, it just gets renewed. The only thing I have to watch out for is switching my plan, because some of the features I can't get back once I voluntarily go away from them.
                              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                              X