This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pride of the Boonies

This is from my recent trip out to Missouri for my sister's law school graduation.

As we were driving for this trip (instead of flying, like we should have), this meant a 14+ hour drive. If it had just been Dad and me going, we'd probably have made pretty good time, since we don't need to stop as often for bathroom breaks. Of course, Mom was with us, so...

On the trip back, we stopped in the boonies of West Virginia, somewhere in the mountains, for a restroom break and a snack stop at a Mickey D's. While Mom and Dad got vanilla shakes, I opted for a soda and a snack wrap.

J2K = Yours Truly
    GC = Girl at Counter

GC: "Hello, can I take your order?"
    J2K: "Yes, I'll have a medium drink, and a crispy chicken ranch snack wrap. To go, please."
    (Important note-- I said this in a steady, relatively slow pace.)
    GC: "Chicken or beef?"
    J2K: "Chicken."
    GC: "Crispy or grilled?"
    J2K: "...crispy."
    GC: "What flavor?"
    J2K: "...ranch."
    GC: "And what was the other thing you wanted?"
    J2K: "....a medium drink."
    GC: "Was that for here or to go?"
    J2K: "...to go."

Just to recap, I had to restate my ENTIRE ORDER one piece at a time.

Clearly, the pride of Boondocks, West Virginia, was working the counter at Mickey D's that day.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Wait, could you repeat your story? You typed it too fast, I wasn't able to read all of it.

Comment

Quoth GiggityGiggityGoo View Post
      Wait, could you repeat your story? You typed it too fast, I wasn't able to read all of it.
      I'll do it for you.

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
      This ... is ... from ... my ... recent ... trip ... out ... to ... Missouri ... for ... my ... sister's ... law ... school ... graduation.

As ... we ... were ... driving ... for ... this ... trip ... (instead ... of ... flying, ... like ... we ... should ... have), ... this ... meant ... a ... 14+ ... hour ... drive. ... If ... it ... had ... just ... been ... Dad ... and ... me ... going, ... we'd ... probably ... have ... made ... pretty ... good ... time, ... since ... we ... don't ... need ... to ... stop ... as ... often ... for ... bathroom ... breaks. ... Of ... course, ... Mom ... was ... with ... us, ... so...

On ... the ... trip ... back, ... we ... stopped ... in ... the ... boonies ... of ... West ... Virginia, ... somewhere ... in ... the ... mountains, ... for ... a ... restroom ... break ... and ... a ... snack ... stop ... at ... a ... Mickey ... D's. ... While ... Mom ... and ... Dad ... got ... vanilla ... shakes, ... I ... opted ... for ... a ... soda ... and ... a ... snack ... wrap.

J2K ... = ... Yours ... Truly
      GC ... = ... Girl ... at ... Counter

GC: ... "Hello, ... can ... I ... take ... your ... order?"
      J2K: ... "Yes, ... I'll ... have ... a ... medium ... drink, ... and ... a ... crispy ... chicken ... ranch ... snack ... wrap. ... To ... go, ... please."
      (Important ... note-- ... I ... said ... this ... in ... a ... steady, ... relatively ... slow ... pace.)
      GC: ... "Chicken ... or ... beef?"
      J2K: ... "Chicken."
      GC: ... "Crispy ... or ... grilled?"
      J2K: ... "...crispy."
      GC: ... "What ... flavor?"
      J2K: ... "...ranch."
      GC: ... "And ... what ... was ... the ... other ... thing ... you ... wanted?"
      J2K: ... "....a ... medium ... drink."
      GC: ... "Was ... that ... for ... here ... or ... to ... go?"
      J2K: ... "...to ... go."

Just ... to ... recap, ... I ... had ... to ... restate ... my ... ENTIRE ... ORDER ... one ... piece ... at ... a ... time.

Clearly, ... the ... pride ... of ... Boondocks, ... West ... Virginia, ... was ... working ... the ... counter ... at ... Mickey ... D's ... that ... day.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
        I'll do it for you.
        TL;DR ..........
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I've had this exact scenario happen way too many times in my life.

Comment

That reminds me of a story.

One year we went down to Florida to visit my grandparents at their winter home. On the way down, we went through Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and then Florida. On the way back we chose a route that included South and North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia and Ohio.

We made a restroom stop at a gas station or truck stop in West Virginia. My mom was waiting for the restroom. There were two of the locals standing by and my mom swore they were talking about her. The thing she remembered most was one of the locals saying, in reference to my mom "Well I reckon she's just going to have to wait."

And so that became the catch phrase for the rest of our trip. ("You want to get in the bathroom? Well I reckon you're just going to have to wait.")
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Never stopped at WV but I heard that driving through their highways (particularly through the mountains) is a HUGE nightmare.
              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                I'll do it for you.
                I almost spit out my Flake at that.
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                  Never stopped at WV but I heard that driving through their highways (particularly through the mountains) is a HUGE nightmare.
                  They're actually in pretty good shape...much better than PA's of course. But, some of their roads are dangerous--lots of steep hills and sharp curves. Plus, you also have to deal with the slack-jawed idiots named Cletus that can't keep their Camaros and pickups "right side up" at times

Now I've been down to WV many times. Most of the people are pretty damn nice. However, some seem to think that you're from another planet. These people will stare and/or watch you as long as your in their town. I dealt with that quite a bit when I'd go down to Grafton to watch CSX shuffle locomotives around in the service areas.
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

81 wasn't so bad through WV when I drove it back in 01 or so. I didn't stop much however, except to pee at the unmanned rest stops. I don't know if they have fast food there now, but back then... yeah it was just rest stops with toilets, pamphlets and vending machines.

Comment

Working...
                    X