This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail hoggers

I like to take the dog out to walk around a nearby lake. It's a popular trail, used by people going a variety of speeds: walkers, joggers, cyclists, and horseback riders. As such, you need to be aware of other trail users and make sure people can get past you if needed.

As I was walking along the other day, I found myself approaching a group of moms who were meandering along and taking up the entire trail. Two had strollers, and a third mom had a double wide stroller, all lined up side-by-side! The mom with the double-wide stroller heard me coming, looked back...and then didn't move.

As I got closer, I said "Excuse me." The mom with the double-wide stroller looked back, rolled her eyes with an annoyed sigh, and moved a little closer to the other moms a few inches. At that point, the hillside dropped off steeply towards the lake after the edge of the trail, so I had to awkwardly squeeze by with one leg on the trail and the other leg about a foot and a half lower off the trail, since she still didn't leave room for me on the trail.

I wonder how cyclists and horseback riders are able to pass them.

A few days later as I was leaving the park, I saw the same group...with a fourth mom plus stroller. I was so glad I was leaving and wouldn't be encountering them that day.

Seriously, when I'm with a group (I'm part of a weight-loss group that sometimes meets for walks around this same lake), we keep ourselves compact to one side of the trail. It's all fine to walk/jog/cycle in a group (and many people do), but leave some room for the other trail users! Don't take up the entire width of the trail!

I hope they step in horse sh**.
    Last edited by bhskittykatt; 06-06-2011, 04:27 PM.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I would just refuse to step aside. There's no excuse for that. Normally, I'd never think of being so rude, but I guess that's what they are banking on. I'd just stand there. I'd probably say something, too. There are ways civilized people meet and pass each other. These people need to learn how to do that.

Comment

In MD it's stated rather bluntly that you need to give people right away at all the major trails. I mean, really- you're going to not move over for a horse or a biker?
      "You are beginning to damage my calm."

Comment

I absolutely hate it when people do that.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
          I would just refuse to step aside. There's no excuse for that.
          The BF and I will change to single file when hiking, but I will not allow oblivious/rude people who try to pass us without moving to single file to push me off the path when we have made an effort to share. I will come to a dead stop if I need to, often causing them into a last minute shuffle to avoid colliding with me.

Im a bitch though when I eventually have my dogs I will also teach them to walk single file but I doubt most people would walk straight into a huge GSD lol!
          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
            I would just refuse to step aside. There's no excuse for that. Normally, I'd never think of being so rude, but I guess that's what they are banking on. I'd just stand there. I'd probably say something, too. There are ways civilized people meet and pass each other. These people need to learn how to do that.
            If they were directly approaching me, I wouldn't have. However, I was coming up on them, and trying to pass them, so standing still wouldn't gain me anything in this case.

But I will do the whole not-move-out-of-the-way before to the loud, obnoxious groups of sidewalk-hoggers I encounter almost every weekend on the way home after work.
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Next time tell the Moms your DINGO needs to get by because he's hungry.

"All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

This past weekend I was with the (hopefully) gf and she tended to notice cyclists behind us before I did. She nudged me to the edge of the trail whenever someone approached.
                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Okay, folks, let's keep it focused on the rude, bitchy behavior of the trail blockers and not resort to generalizations about people who choose to become parents.

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                    Next time tell the Moms your DINGO needs to get by because he's hungry.

Apparaently the mother at the time was charged with the murder and it was eventually overturned.

For you American folk it'd be a coyote
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

When I come up behind people who don't respond to a polite "excuse me" I put the back of my hand on their arm and just say "begyourpardonIneedtogetthroughthankyouverymuc h" while pushing my way through. It works to get off a crowded subway car and it works to get past sidewalk/trail hogs.

If that's too direct I suppose you could walk a few inches behind two of them and start a nice coughing fit in their ears. They'll probably both back away and leave a gap for you.
                      The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                        For you American folk it'd be a coyote
                        but dingoes are cuter....I want to scritch one behind the ears....yes I know better....will never be near one anyway...I refuse to travel to a place where everything wants to kill me....and giant spiders give hugs....
                        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Giant spiders give hugs here, too.

I swear, that's why they are always nearby me. Dirty rotten little pests.

I don't walk on regular terrain very often, but I'm just glad that when I do, it's early morning or early afternoon during the week, when everyone is at work and school and hardly anyone is biking or taking the kids for a stroll.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                            As I was walking along the other day, I found myself approaching a group of moms who were meandering along and taking up the entire trail. Two had strollers, and a third mom had a double wide stroller, all lined up side-by-side! The mom with the double-wide stroller heard me coming, looked back...and then didn't move.
                            Carry a bicycle horn.

Hey, it worked for Harpo...

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                              Carry a bicycle horn. Hey, it worked for Harpo...
                              You're so wise.
                              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                              X