This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy old lotto coot

I just was at a convenience store near my office. In front of me in line at the cash register was a guy who had to have been at least eighty. He obviously wanted to buy a Lotto scratch off ticket, but was completely confused by what the tickets did, what they cost, or how to play their various games. In this state, there are at least fifteen different scratch off games available at any one time and each one has a different price and different rules.

The old guy was demanding a scratch off, but when the poor clerk asked him which one, the old guy just snapped, “A scratch off. How hard is that to understand?”

The clerk was surprisingly nice about the situation and pointed out the numerous scratch off games available. This seemed to get the old man even more ornery and he told the clerk not to show him all that "stupid (stuff)" and just give him a regular scratch off.

The clerk now was much less friendly and said to the old guy that all those games were scratch offs and the old guy needed to select the one he wanted as there had not been a singular scratch off game since the mid-90’s. The old guy slapped a dollar on the counter and shouted that he knew what he was talking about and wanted a scratch off. The clerk said nothing more, but pulled out a one dollar game card and handed it to the old guy.

The old guy then looked at the card in a funny way and told the clerk that this had better not be “one of those rip-off dud cards”. The cashier just took the dollar and rang up the card.

At this point, I expected the old guy to walk away. Nope. He stood at the counter and scratched off all the coverings on the card – including the area that the player is not supposed to touch – and thrust it at the clerk demanding to know what he had won.

The clerk glanced at the card and said that it was not a winner. The guy blew up and started screaming (with spittle flying) that the clerk stole his money and sold him a dud and that he was tired of always being ripped off and wanted his money back and was going to call the cops and was going to sue etc.

By now, I had had enough, so I pulled out a dollar bill and held it out to the old guy telling him that I would pay for his ticket if he would move and let the rest of us in line check out. The old guy started to yell at me to mind my own business until the clerk said that if he did not leave right then, the clerk was going to call the police and have him removed. The old guy snatched the bill from my hand and stormed out saying he was going to “get the store for this”.

The clerk thanked me.
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Oh, and I told the clerk about this site!
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

It may not be a PC opinion, but sometimes I think they just shouldn't let the old people out in public. *sigh*
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Man, I love that. "Mind your own business." The mantra of assholes who want to act like assholes in public but not get called on it.

If it's in your face, and affecting your day, it's your business. He made it your business when he did it in front of you.

Idiot.

Comment

I see people all the time that are standing at the counter scratching tickets totally oblivious to others waiting in line. Its pretty high up on my list of Pet Peeves actually.
          If watermelons are made up of water, what are kumquats made up of?
          www.myspace.com/rentalracer

Comment

Quoth RentalRacer View Post
            I see people all the time that are standing at the counter scratching tickets totally oblivious to others waiting in line. Its pretty high up on my list of Pet Peeves actually.
            I don't understand that....step away from the counter, geez!

We usually get scratchoffs for stocking stuffers and birthdays...between Christmas and my birthday in October I won $4 on 3 tickets. My mom got 15 tickets for Christmas and didn't win anything. Every year she says she's not buying them anymore....
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
              Man, I love that. "Mind your own business." The mantra of assholes who want to act like assholes in public but not get called on it.

If it's in your face, and affecting your day, it's your business. He made it your business when he did it in front of you.
              Precisely. The old coot was holding up the line, which South Texan was in, thus it was ST's business. Though I doubt that befuddled guy would understand that.

Come to think of it, this guy may have been in the early stages of dementia. The argumentative attitude, the befuddlement, the throwing a fit when things didn't work out...these are not the reactions of a mentally healthy person. Perhaps the clerk should call the police next time, then he might get the care he needs.
              Last edited by XCashier; 02-09-2007, 02:29 PM. Reason: just thought of something else
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Oh how I hate to be asked for regular stuff. "Just a regular burger" means nothing to me.
                You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

You know, if I had witnessed it, I'd have pointed out his stupidity by simply saying to him, "Um, most of the time you're not going to be a winner. It's a game of pure chance, hence the term 'lottery'. It's a legalized form of gambling. DUH!"

God I wish I had more chances to let SC's know just how stupid they are without fear of occupational repurcussions
                  DJ Particle

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                    It may not be a PC opinion, but sometimes I think they just shouldn't let the old people out in public. *sigh*
                    I think that should be modified. My in-laws (elderly) are absolute sweethearts. Well, my MIL is anyway. They just shouldn't let the nuts out. I've told my MIL again and again to keep my FIL out of the stores LOL
                    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      Age isn't the problem. They shouldn't let idiots out in public
                      ludo ergo sum

Comment

That's the key. It's not the age, but the IQ.

Although, I will note, that there are certain old people who seem to take their age as a logical and good reason to act like fools in public, or to feel entitled to things, just because they're old. I've never seen my grandma insist that she should get her way, just because she's 85, which is part of the reason she's my hero. She also agreed, at 84, to give up her license. I think she mostly just likes having all us family members chauffer her around to all her activities.
                        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                          *snip*This seemed to get the old man even more ornery and he told the clerk not to show him all that "stupid (stuff)" and just give him a regular scratch off.

Anyone else ever notice that SCs ask for "Just a REGULAR (wtfeverobject)" with no other specifications a LOT?
                          http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/29478

Comment

it's not necessarily the iq, either; consider how many 'degreed' individuals we run into that can't seem to understand the simplest things...

the regular *insert item here* thing also ticks me off; what SIZE of regular x did you want? sheesh...
                            look! it's ghengis khan!
                            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                              I think that should be modified. My in-laws (elderly) are absolute sweethearts. Well, my MIL is anyway. They just shouldn't let the nuts out. I've told my MIL again and again to keep my FIL out of the stores LOL
                              Hey, nuts come in all age brackets!
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X