Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wasn't trying to argue, either. Just wanted to clarify.
    "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

I mentioned this thread to Mr. Dips while we were eating out at a bar. He looked a little puzzled, so I got specific. I asked if he could see anyone calling his paternal grandmother "Sweetie."

He just looked horrified. I'm sorry, but mean well or not, that's just not something either of us would call a lady.

But I have to say I'd have secretly enjoyed the fallout if anyone had tried it. His grandma could take you down a few pegs with a Look. She taught school for 50 years; you could tell.

We miss her.
      The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

I have an odd habit of calling older women Auntie-Ji, picked it up from an indian roomie I had for a while. His mother told me to call her that, and I was hanging out with a lot of the local indian population, and there were a lot of aunties around, so it got to be habit.
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth thatcrazyredhead View Post
          The point is that using terms of endearment to address strangers is patronizing and rude at any age, IMO.
          I agree with this 100%. I hate when strangers refer to me by a term of endearment. I find it highly disrespectful. Close friends and relatives (and certain coworkers) I don't mind, but anyone else? I'm either (my name) or ma'am.
          my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
          it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

Quoth Miss Maple Leaf View Post
            I agree with this 100%. I hate when strangers refer to me by a term of endearment. I find it highly disrespectful.
            I agree too. For me it seems patronizing for a stranger to call me that, especially a strange man. There's only one man that is allowed to call me sweetheart, babe or baby or anything close to that and that man is SO.
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I'm 24 but don't look it and have had teens and adults younger then me call me ma'am. I hate being called ma'am. It's either 'miss' or <my name>.
              Some pet names annoy me some don't. Anything pet name that seems southern annoys me cause I grew up in the south and hated it. One the other hand anything British or the like makes me squee.
              I had a youngish American customer call me 'luv' once and I was like 'Huh? I love that!'

Eta: And I call everyone 'Dude'. Well anyone I know and am familiar with. Just yesterday I made a comment on Facebook referring to my mother, one of her friends, and her cousin as 'Dudes'.
              Last edited by dragon_wings; 06-25-2011, 04:03 PM.
              Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
              Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

I tend to take it in stride when people call me by those terms, but I try to keep it formal when I'm among strangers -- I tend to use Sir and Ma'am unless I am explicitly been told otherwise (which I have, on occasion -- and even then, it takes me awhile to stop doing it).

Among my family, however, anything goes. One as-yet-unmentioned ToE that has persisted over the generations with us has been "Boo", but ONLY when it's an older person addressing a younger one, as in "Would ya please get me some more coffee, Boo?"
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  Among my family, however, anything goes. One as-yet-unmentioned ToE that has persisted over the generations with us has been "Boo", but ONLY when it's an older person addressing a younger one, as in "Would ya please get me some more coffee, Boo?"
                  "Go for the eyes, Boo, go for the eyes!"
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth dragon_wings View Post
                    I'm 24 but don't look it and have had teens and adults younger then me call me ma'am. I hate being called ma'am. It's either 'miss' or <my name>.
                    You'd be 'Miss' to me as in,"Miss,you don't look 24,are you 23 or 25?"
                    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

count me as another older than I look! I'm in my 30s but I constantly get asked when I graduated high school and if this is a summer college job.

On the job I have to grin and bear it when the older men (why is it always older men??) slink up to me with the "hon"s and "sweetie"s. But outside the job I don't put up with it!* I once told a group of smarmy, condescending older men in a bar to quit calling me honey. They were all "yes MA'AM!" Damn right!

*I do not mind if anyone elderly uses ToE. I have a soft spot for nice elderly folk. And I would never DREAM of calling any woman my grandmother's age "sweetie"!
                      "There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't."

Comment

The only ones I use "sweetie" etc on are my dogs, and that's been since only recently. Even DH gets called by his name. Just the way I was raised. When I was younger, if the person was obviously older than me, it was "sir" or "ma'am." I had a hard time when they were my age or younger, as until I was in my mid/late 20's, I was always the youngest one in my crowd. Now that I'm older, everyone is "sir" or "ma'am" regardless of age, except on the rare occasion when my classes are acting up. Then it becomes "children." BTW, I teach college.
                        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

"Call me anything, just don't call me late for dinner."
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I mean, this is the south, and a woman saying to me or any other younger woman is pretty much how we talk down here. But saying it to a bent, frail, clearly very elderly lady is not respectful.
                            I'm in the mid south and when I'm at work (actually when I'm off work too) everyone I talk to is "ma'am" or "sir" if I don't know their names... (save for a guy I saw wearing a Navy CPO shirt - I called him "chief")

Comment

The 72 year old hardware guy in my store calls people around his age "young fella," in jest, and in respect, to create a bridge between them. He's being social. I can't imagine him being disrespectful toward anyone.

I call any female, almost regardless of age, hon, and I'm not even sure why. It just comes to me, coupled with a huge amiable smile. ( <-- Like that, or ^-^ ) Haven't had any issues with it yet.

I think that the title that a person accumulates and the way people act toward them are two different kinds of respect. If a person calls me "young fella," but is totally and completely friendly and respectful despite the age difference, why should it matter? If I got riled up over that, I'd consider myself to be the antagonist.
                              SC: "Are you new or something?"
                              Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

I work in a gay bar, where I can and do call everyone sweet, hon and dear. at my day job, dealing with the youngish men (16-27ish) I will accidentally slip. Their girlfriends don't like that very much... :S

Comment

Working...
                                X