This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You must open your gate for me!

This happened yesterday and involves the crazy neighbor from Thanksgiving. Things kind of calmed down after the husband helped clear the parking lot after some snow. Although now my name is either Elizabeth or Jessica depending on who you talk to from next door. Still trying to figure that one out.

Anywho, I'm doing laundry and watching A Perfect Getaway on cable (eh, it was okay), when the doorbell chimes. I go to see who it is and it's the neighbor. My first thought is "what the heck now?" because the only time he seems to ever come over is when there's a problem with us. But I sucked it up and figured I'd see what he wanted. Cause who knows, maybe hell froze over and he wanted to give us something (feh..yeah).

Me:
    Crazy Neighbor Guy: CNG

Me: Hi, how are you?
    CNG: Is your back gate open? You have poison ivy and it needs to be gotten rid of.
    Me: Oh..uh..no. It's locked. I can have the husband open it when he gets home (because it's got stuff growing next to it and I'll be damned if it is PI and I'm going to get all rashy - besides I'm allergic to Poison Oak and I was told that if you're allergic to PO, then you're allergic to all the Poison family).
    CNG: Well I need to get back there. I have a friend to take care of it.
    Me: The husband will be home later, I'll have him open it.
    CNG: [cue catbutt face] Can't you do anything without your husband? [his tone was really snarky and I wasn't having any of it]
    Me: Yes I can. I'll have him take care of it when he gets home.
    CNG: [Walks off very clearly pissed off because I wouldn't purposefully expose myself to what may be PI]

I did look it up and I think it might be PI. I called the husband and he had me spray some Roundup on it. It was starting to wither when we looked at it later. I'll probably have him pull it up and then have him throw out any clothing he's wearing since I really don't want either of us being exposed to the oils. Unless someone else has any other suggestions on how to get rid of it without potentially getting ourselves exposed.

I'll have the husband take some pictures tomorrow and post. I'm sure someone here knows what Poison Ivy looks like and can confirm whether or not it is. Someone at work said it might be Boxelder which mimics PI.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Suggestion:
    Find box and gift wrap.
    Leave dead plant on neighbor's doorstep.

Comment

Better yet... why does your neighbor have to get into your back yard?

Comment

It appears that the plant in question is growing on our side, on the shared fence, but the leaves are poking on his side. The whole thing just seemed kind of hinky to me. Call it women's intuition, but if someone says that they must get into my back patio and my spidey sense says no, it's probably a good idea to listen to that spidey sense.
        Random conversation:

Comment

Do the leaves grow in trios? That's your first clue. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_ivy has some good info, including a list of similar-looking plants and generally how to tell them apart. Judging from the entry, though, looks like plain old washing of the clothing would take care of the oils themselves. I'd probably go with hot water and maybe a second washing just to be sure, if you're truly allergic rather than just breaking out in blisters like the rest of us would. Make sure the husband wears gloves when he disposes of the plant, though.

Sounds hinky to me too. Most good neighbors would simply bring it to your attention and ask it to be dealt with, rather than starting off with "open your gate so this guy I know can take care of a problem plant in your yard." Especially considering the past issues you've had with the neighbor in question.
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
            Although now my name is either Elizabeth or Jessica depending on who you talk to from next door. Still trying to figure that one out.
            A Sweet Valley High reference, maybe?

Comment

In terms of exposure, what my mom did for the bit of poison ivy we had was wear old clothes and garden gloves. She carefully burned the bit we had, careful to stay upwind of the fumes and away from it. Then stripped in the laundry room using some old towels and threw everything in the wash. Then immediately showered. True, she's not amazingly allergic, but it did help cut down on the amount of oils she was exposed to. And she could still wear the clothes.
              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

besides, the part that grows on his side he can legally cut off - without going into your back yard.

Comment

Our local £1 store sells disposable decorating overalls for (surprisingly £1). They look like this: http://www.rapidtoolsdirect.co.uk/pr...ble-paper-suit

I wonder if a local store sells something like that near you? That and rubber gloves should protect from any contamination.

EDITED to add: We used one of those as part of a costume for Dexter
                  Last edited by Gizmo; 06-28-2011, 08:44 PM.
                  I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
                    In terms of exposure, what my mom did for the bit of poison ivy we had was wear old clothes and garden gloves. She carefully burned the bit we had, careful to stay upwind of the fumes and away from it.
                    You should never burn any of the poison family. Its too easy for the wind to change unexpectedly, and once it gets in the throat and lungs, even if you're not allergic, it can kill you.

To dispose of it, you should wear thick gloves, full pants, and a long-sleeved shirt, and maybe eye protection if it has as long vine. Basically, whatever it takes to keep it out of mucus membranes. Pull it up close to the root, and spray the area to kill any roots that might have been left behind. Lastly, put the vines into compost or double bag the vines for trash.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                      To dispose of it, you should wear thick gloves, full pants, and a long-sleeved shirt, and maybe eye protection if it has as long vine. Basically, whatever it takes to keep it out of mucus membranes. Pull it up close to the root, and spray the area to kill any roots that might have been left behind. Lastly, put the vines into compost or double bag the vines for trash.
                      I had some poison ivy in my yard last year. It tends to grow along the fence by the patio. Apparently, my neighbor had let his yard go...and that crap simply spread everywhere. It's in his yard, my yard, the guy next door, and the house on the other side of them. Even though I can rip it out, it's too bad that the stuff has overgrown the honeysuckle, and other plants I'd like to keep
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

We're spraying it with Roundup, which seems to be killing it. I think the husband is going to take care of it either on his next day off or when he's on vacation in a few weeks.
                        Random conversation:

Comment

Glad to hear the Roundup is working. Tell your husband to be careful when disposing it anyway. Apparently the oils are still active even when the plant itself is dead, so he could still end up with a nasty rash.
                          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                          X