This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sorry, were we talking to you?

Tonight the husband and I went to a Borders that was closing *sniffle*. We found some interesting books, though the sale was kinda meh...

Anyway, there was a guy there who felt it was okay to butt into our conversation.

The first time, the husband was talking about something and the guy said something. I wasn't sure if he was talking to us or himself.

The second time, the husband mentioned thinking about getting the latest Feist book, and the guy started to say something as well, I think about the book. This time I knew he was butting in.

The third time, the husband was talking about the books he was interested in getting and wasn't sure about it, but maybe he'd get them later. This time the guy said "Yeah, like a library." I turned and gave him a death glare, to which he scurried off.

Seriously, if you want to talk to us, then talk to us. But butting into our conversation is guaranteed to either get you slapped or a good chewing out by me.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

I hate that. If I'm in the wrong mood that will make me snap. Somebody butted into a conversation I was having with my sister once and I just barked "I didn't ask you, DID I?" Ugh. What makes people stick their noses in like that?
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      What makes people stick their noses in like that?
      The desire to speak just so they can amaze you with their much-unwanted wisdom on the subject? That or for the sake of hearing their own voices.
      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

"If I want any crap out of you I'll squeeze your head."
        GFY

Comment

I have to admit that I'm occasionally guilty of joining stranger's conversations uninvited, HOWEVER, only under certain circumstances, most of which occur at work. I'm a salesperson, so of course if I see customers chatting while I'm working, I'm going to go up and start chatting with them. It's what I do.

Out and about when I'm not working, I tend to ignore other people as much as possible, but every once in a while I'll overhear something that I just CANNOT ignore, and can't resist tossing my two cents in.
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Kittish, I've been known to join in a stranger's conversation before too, when not working. However, I don't just jump in, spout off, and jump out again, I actually participate, and usually only when I have something relevant and useful to add. And I usually try to gauge the active participants beforehand to see if they're the types to welcome it or death-glare me (I don't join in with the death-glare types). If there's no openness to the conversation, however (hushed voices, closed stances, etc.), then I just move along.
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
              The second time, the husband mentioned thinking about getting the latest Feist book, and the guy started to say something as well, I think about the book. This time I knew he was butting in.
              Very good book. Ray just posted today that he just turned in A Crown Imperiled and is going to start writing Magicians End soon... one final book left for him to write about Midkemia. Very sad day.
              Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Working...
              X