This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigfoot Crazy

Disclaimer: What you think about Bigfoot, paranormal stuff, people who search for Bigfoot/paranormal stuff, etc. should probably go to fratching. If you think it goes there, then you're probably right.

Background: Hubs is part of a state group that does paranormal investigations. They're actually a sister group to TAPS, which you may recognize from the show "Ghost Hunters". This group is planning a 4-day expedition to hunt for Bigfoot next month. Sorry..."investigate the possibility of the existence of Bigfoot"...they said it's not a "hunt" and they don't want to kill one if they find one, but for the sake of simplicity I'm going to borrow the term.

(Fun fact: In Skamania County, WA, it is actually illegal to kill a Bigfoot. That's not where they're doing the investigation, but I thought I'd throw that out there. You just learned something new today.)

If that all sounds a bit crazy, don't worry. It probably is.

Anywho, this group reserved a room at a branch of their favorite library system to go over some training. This meeting was intended for expedition members only. They were going over technical survival skills, what sorts of evidences to look for, exactly how the investigation was going to be carried out, some administrative stuff, etc etc.

Enter Bigfoot Crazy (BC). About an hour into the meeting, BC wandered in. Apparently, the schedule for the conference room was posted outside, and something along the lines of "Bigfoot Meeting" was posted in their space. This guy wandered in, and Hubs said he seemed nice, if a bit off.

BC started talking about how back in the day he was with the Army Corp of Engineers and was tasked with logging Bigfoot sightings. He started sharing stories, which was all well and interesting, except that (1) it was preventing the meeting from actually progressing (and they had a lot to cover that day) and (2) some of the information in the meeting they didn't want being shared with the public (such as the exact location of the investigation -- they don't want outside people to "tag along" and disturb the environment/otherwise ruin the investigation).

The person running the meeting finally told him that his stories were interesting, would he like to speak at their public forum the next day? BC said that would be fine. They then told BC to piss off (though, I'm sure in more polite terms). BC left without protest, and seemed happy to come in the next day to the regular monthly public meeting. The group can continue their meeting, and BC will be able to share his stories the next day. Everyone's happy, right?

Well, apparently one of the library staff came by and pulled the meeting administrator out for a bit. It turned out, BC went and started yelling at the staff about how they kicked him out and wouldn't let him speak his piece and yadda yadda yadda. The library staff basically said it was their meeting and they could run it as they pleased.

The group decided they didn't want to be the source of trouble, though, to leave and meet up at one of the member's homes. They have a good relationship with the library system there and didn't want to risk it, even though the library staff was on their side. (Being a financially-strapped nonprofit, they pretty much rely on the library system to host their meetings.)

BC didn't show up at the meeting (at least, not yet). Guess he didn't want to share his story that bad after all...

While we're here...crazy police lady, and parachondriacs

Hubs also shared these with me.

This group has an online forum. You need permissions to post, but pretty much anyone can lurk. Apparently, they had one woman copying some threads and sending them to the police because.....? The group is very adamant about respecting private property rights and such during investigations, and they aren't doing anything illegal so...I don't know what that lady was trying to prove?

Also, the group regularly deals with people they've labelled "parachondriacs". Like a hypochondriac sees something in the news about an illness and think they have it, a "parachondriac", as they've coined the term, watches a show like "Ghost Hunters" and then thinks they have paranormal things happening to them. They're the SC's of the paranormal investigations world: they insist you find a paranormal explanation for whatever "evidence" they have, even if it's something completely benign and normal.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Frankly, BC sounds like he could be one of the parachondriacs. Especially since he got mad at being asked to leave, and you mentioned that he seemed a bit 'off'. Asking him to leave cut short his "attention fix."
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I am so jealous of your husband right now it is unbelievable.

Comment

he was with the Army Corp of Engineers and was tasked with logging Bigfoot sightings.
        Um, yeah.

I'd suggest asking to see his credentials before inviting him to speak to any group.
        Ask him if he has a copy of his DD214. If he gets offended or doesn't seem to know what you're asking for then he's a poser.

I mean, yes, the military HAS invested in some paranormal research (just google "remote viewing" for a great example) but... I don't know if they did as much as what that man claims... especially since he's claiming to have key involvement.

Cos I don't know about bigfoot but ... I DO know there's a lot of people out there who lie and invent a military background, often for attention or for other deeper issues.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
          I'd suggest asking to see his credentials before inviting him to speak to any group.
          Ask him if he has a copy of his DD214. If he gets offended or doesn't seem to know what you're asking for then he's a poser.
          This reminded me of that scene from "Ronin"...

"What's the color of the boathouse at Hereford?"
          "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth Skeen View Post
            I am so jealous of your husband right now it is unbelievable.
            Me, too! *Goes off to pout in the corner.*
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
              Same here! "Also goes off to pout in a corner."

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                Quoth ExArtShopSlave View Post
                Same here! "Also goes off to pout in a corner."
                Count me in among the jealous people.

But I'm not gonna pout in the corner! I'm gonna form my OWN paranormal investigations team!

With blackjack and hookers!
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                  Count me in among the jealous people.

But I'm not gonna pout in the corner! I'm gonna form my OWN paranormal investigations team!

With blackjack and hookers!
                  And an amusement park too!

Seriously though it sounds like a really cool group. I'd love to go check it out sometime. A friend goes on investigations from time to time, though he hasn't lately since he's had some issues pop up - mostly back issues.

He did take me to the Cahokia Mounds when I first moved here. Talk about an interesting experience. The St. Louis area is a hotbed for haunted places.
                  Last edited by fma_fanatic; 07-27-2011, 03:32 AM.
                  Random conversation:
                  Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                  DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I DO know there's a lot of people out there who lie and invent a military background, often for attention or for other deeper issues.
                    Hall Of Stolen Valor is where such phonies are outed as they are caught. It's illegal to claim decorations to which you are not entitled. Not sure if it's illegal to claim service you didn't do if the intent is not to defraud, but they still get named and shamed.

This blog also does a bit of that, plus agitates on behalf of servicemen and -women who should have been decorated and weren't. I've never been in the armed forces myself, but it's still interesting reading.

Comment

and over on Second Life I'm in a Veteran's group... Whenever anyone shows up claiming to be military, someone from the same branch (preferably having served the same years...ish) greets them. (or rather... casually asks them about their service to ensure they're not posers). We've had a few guys claiming to be "Army Seals" and "Space Shutter Door Gunners" for example.

But back on the topic of Bigfoot... how did the events turn out?

Comment

Wow PepperElf, done your time somewhere?

Comment

former squid.

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
                            This reminded me of that scene from "Ronin"...

"What's the color of the boathouse at Hereford?"
                            there isn't one.
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

former squid.
                              If you ever get someone who claims to have been on the Spadefish 85-89ish, NSSF/Miami/San Juan 90-2003 give me a yell, we can get hubby to talk to them.
                              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                              X