Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm in the ER, isn't that Enough Suffering?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in the ER, isn't that Enough Suffering?

My life is going through some major changes, with some serious additional physical and mental stress. I have had to make two trips to the ER in the last couple weeks. I went on Monday of this week, and it went about as well as could be for an ER, so a good, positive trip. There were even some weirdly entertaining conversations from the patient and her visitors on the other side of the curtain. (I came down with the flu, developed bronchitis, then started developing pneumonia, all within four days time. I'm that good.)

The last trip to the same ER was not so good. The things that didn't go well included:

1. Triage nurse asked lab to bring me a urine catch cup. Never got it.
    2. Doctor asked hurse to ask lab to bring me a urine catch cup. Never got it.
    3. Because nobody followed through, I ended up getting catheterized instead, although that may have been partially to do with my calling my doctor a "complete jerk."
    4. My doctor was a complete jerk.
    5. I'm in a bed that is arranged in the room so that my feet, and certain private parts, are in the clear view of the door, and is right by the ambulance entrance to the ER. I asked for a second blanket for a little extra coverage. Never got it.
    6. My roommate started retching. Since nobody bothered to hand me a call button, I had to get up and yell for help. The janitor is the only person who responded.
    7. We were stuck over shift change, which led to the day shift nurse rushing out without bothering to show the swing shift nurse around. My roommate had her call button on for over five minutes. None of the nurses at the station could be bothered to let our nurse know that the call was for her until my roommate physically got up and went out and yelled.
    8. Our doctor was a complete jerk. He seemed to be trying out for Jersey Shore, the Midlife Crisis edition. I kept waiting for him to grab his crotch and scream, "Eat me."
    9. My roommate, who was nauseous and in miserable pain, called her fiance and left for the county hospital. Seriously, the county hospital. She did pull her own IV and throw it at the nurses station before she left, so she exited with a certain style.
    10. When I finally left, after 6 hours and reading an entire book, I got a call while at the pharmacy to ask me to come back. They had given me my roommate's discharge papers.

Now, I didn't die, leave sicker, or get bad meds, so there were some positives, but since this hospital joined a local medical network, it has jumped in that handbasket to hell.
    Last edited by wagegoth; 07-27-2011, 07:11 AM.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Wow, sounds like my one ER visit that happened about 2.5 years ago. Regarding the catheter thing...I would never, ever let that happen again. When I was in the ER, they "had" to catheter me because I had given a urine sample and I didn't do it right, because nobody bothered to explain to me how to give a sterile sample and I'd never done it before. Let me tell you, if anyone told me they "had" to catheter me because they just needed a urine sample, I'd be walking out of that ER unless I was gushing blood for multiple stab wounds and was in immediate danger of dying.

You have the right to refuse to allow things to happen to you. Especially because of the clinic's mistakes. Don't let them catheter you in the future, unless you know it's necessary and are okay with it.

Sorry you had such a horrible time. Hope you start to feel better soon.

Comment

They can't force you to to endure treatement that you don't want no matter how serious they say it is.

Comment

Three words for you: File a complaint. In fact, file a complaint NOW. Sooner, if possible. Also, who could you complain to, that would get the hospital/ER to change their ways? I don't know much about it, but it seems like there should be some board or association or something you could lodge a complaint with. Also, at first, I thought you'd made a visit to the ER in the town I work in. That place should seriously be used for nothing more than a band-aid station!
        "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Thank you all for the sympathy. I really appreciate it.

I have started the process of the complaint. I spoke to someone at the hospital, they have since called me, and I'm in the process of writing everything up. Writing this post has been part of helping me organize my thoughts.

Re: the catheterization, I was fine with it. I've had to have it done before a few times, and I've kind of adjusted to it.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
            They can't force you to to endure treatement that you don't want no matter how serious they say it is.
            this.

i might not remember a lot from when I was in nursing school but I do remember reading the "Bill of Rights" for the patients.

Comment

Working...
            X