Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I Order My Breakfast Without the Side of Fat-Shaming, Please? *ranty, language*

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Order My Breakfast Without the Side of Fat-Shaming, Please? *ranty, language*

I apologize in advance if this post comes across as whiny. Now, I am a big girl (5'5, 195), and I hold no illusions about this. At the same time, I feel people need to mind their fucking business when it comes to other people's bodies.

Me:
    SC: Sucky Customer

I finished work today at 0700, as usual and I decided to order three breakfast sandwhiches..one for myself, my grandmother and my sister.

Me: Hai, can I get *three breakfast sandwhiches*

SC: *disapproving glare, pointed once-over*

Me: And they're not all for me

SC: *wilts a little bit, leaves quickly*

I mean, come on...even if they WERE all for me, it's not like it affected SC personally, was it? Have common courtesy and manners really devolved to this point? *looks at website she's on*..Oh right

Sorry for the diatribe..I just needed to get this off my chest

I would have had to asked her if she had a problem, and when she said "No" (because she would have) I would have then asked he what was with the nasty look.

That's just wrong.

Comment

I feel you pain, being just about your size, albeit a few pounds more. I always wonder what, if anything, goes through people's heads when I order or buy stuff...not that I care, I just wonder, since situations like you described happen quite a bit. No one has ever made a comment or anything to me, but if they do, watch out!

And as you pointed out, even if they were all for you, who cares? What are they, the food police?

Comment

I am a 5'8, 190 lbs. female. I have not had anything like this happen to me, I think largely because I don't look that heavy. But if I did find myself in that scenario, I just may have had to smack the bitch out of that SC.
        "I am nothing if not an equal opportunity asshole." -Gravekeeper

"F**k you and your tie." -Jester

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
          I would have had to asked her if she had a problem, and when she said "No" (because she would have) I would have then asked he what was with the nasty look.

That's just wrong.
          Actually, if after asking if there was a problem, and if I felt there was cause for further complaint, I wouldn't continue to address the employee, but would get in touch with their manager. Just my opinion, of course.

Comment

it wasn't an employee, but an sc.

i'm fair sized myself and i probably get a few looks whenever i grab a coke or candy bar; i'm half tempted to yell out whenever some college princess gives me a smirk: "HEY, LOOK AT THE FAT GIRL, SHE'S GOT A CANDY BAR AND SHE'S GONNA EAT IT!"
            look! it's ghengis khan!
            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
              Ah, sorry, you're right. In that case, such actions are understandable.

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post

i'm fair sized myself and i probably get a few looks whenever i grab a coke or candy bar; i'm half tempted to yell out whenever some college princess gives me a smirk: "HEY, LOOK AT THE FAT GIRL, SHE'S GOT A CANDY BAR AND SHE'S GONNA EAT IT!"
                Haha, this reminds me - once my friend sent me out on a WaWa trip. He wanted a twix 4 pack and a half gallon of diet iced tea (he's diabetic but his sugar was ultra low so he treated himself haha). I said

"Ohhh, I see. Send the fat chick to wawa to buy the twix, nobody will suspect it's for the diabetic..."

Comment

@RK, Yup, that would have been my response if I was out of uniform..since I was still at work, I didn't want to make waves even though I was off the clock..

Comment

I don't know why, but fat people offend other people. (I don't mean to call the OP or anyone here fat nor do I mean any nastiness when I use the word fat.) It annoys me. I hate when people make fun of strangers for being fat too. When I see bigger people in public it does not offend me in any way, but it seems to offend a lot of other people. It's not healthy for people to be morbidly obese, but how is this offensive to other people? I don't get it.

Comment

Hell some people are offended just by the mere presence of other people....

Comment

Quoth notlovinit View Post
                        but how is this offensive to other people? I don't get it.
                        Simple. Some people just want an excuse.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I had something similar happen - I'm not exactly svelte. A shop was having a funrun, and I went to go ask for entry forms. The employee literally looked me up and down, and blurted out incredulously "This is for YOU?!?"

I went and just walked away. And felt like a fattopotamus for the rest of the day.
                          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I hate that! I was shopping for a swimming costume, and a couple people kept exchanging looks, looking at me, and giggling.

I get it. Fat girl wants to swim, it's hilarious. How the hell am I supposed to lose weight if I cannot swim, may not run in public, and must not bother the pretty people at the gym? I swear, some people hate fat people, but don't want them to do anything to help themselves.

Comment

Quoth Crime Scene Scarf View Post
                              I hate that! I was shopping for a swimming costume, and a couple people kept exchanging looks, looking at me, and giggling.

I get it. Fat girl wants to swim, it's hilarious. How the hell am I supposed to lose weight if I cannot swim, may not run in public, and must not bother the pretty people at the gym? I swear, some people hate fat people, but don't want them to do anything to help themselves.
                              Of course they don't want us to help ourselves. If we did, then the so-called pretty people wouldn't have anyone to laugh at to make them feel better about themselves.
                              "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Working...
                              X