Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I Order My Breakfast Without the Side of Fat-Shaming, Please? *ranty, language*

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a walking tub of goo myself (yes I resemble that remark), I think the skinny people are jealous because we get to eat all the good stuff (is it always healthy, no, but ill take tasty anyday)...so they give us the glare so that they can justify how disgusting we are so they can feel better about themselves, but really they are jealous of us
    Running on ice is just as smart as shoving a fork in the toaster - Blas in regards to a dry pool diving team member who decided to run across a 50 mph highway following an ice storm

Comment

Count me in for the "chunky and not afraid to admit it" club, here ^_^

Heck, if only skinny people went to gyms, the places would go out of business. You'd think at least there, a place you go in order to improve your physical condition, they would cut people some slack. Not so much.

Note -- I have nothing against skinny people...Just skinny people who happen to be assholes
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

You should see the looks I get when I go to a buffet.......Big girl here also. I usually fill 2 plates my 1st trip 1 for me and one for my son.

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post

I went and just walked away. And felt like a fattopotamus for the rest of the day.
          No offense but that statement made me laugh.....I'm sure it wasn't fun at the time though.

I'm overweight too so I can empathise.
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
            And felt like a fattopotamus for the rest of the day.
            Our culture(s) have something wrong with them. (I have ideas as to what, but those really belong in fratching.)

We ascribe obesity to a single cause: a kind of weakness on the part of the obese person. An inherent personality flaw. Which, to be frank, sucks.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

*licks cheetos cheeze off her fingers before typing* It's so nice to hear that I am not the only one that feels that everyone is watching me buy *gasp* a chocolate bar. I am fat (5'4" and 195Lbs). For the most part i accept what I am. I may not always like it, but it's me. I have a wicked sweet tooth, and I am not going to deprive my self of something that I enjoy because Miss America thinks I am too fat. I am enjoying my treats!!

Comment

I always hated stuff like that. I'm 5'6 and 220lbs. I was 190 (and looked pretty damned good, I care weight well and a good portion of it was muscle) but gained 30 on medicine. I can't believe some of the looks I get if I decide to treat myself with a single truffle at Godiva. I do love the guy that works at the one by my job. He gives me extra samples or whatever they have. ^_^
                Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Comment

@SteverinoNY, EricKei and IDWH..You guys got it..life really is too short not to try to enjoy it and accept yourself as you are, and stuff anyone who has a problem with it..

Comment

As a quick aside, the 'judgment' isn't cast solely on the overweight. I've ordered what is CLEARLY multiple person orders (ie, 2 #3's, and 3 #7's) and been asked: "For here or to go?" WTF? Yes I'm standing here at the counter by myself, and I'm gonna snarf down five meals. Sometimes FFE get into rote a little too much But that certainly doesn't excuse the accusatory looks, etc....

Comment

Quoth sweetj82 View Post
                      You should see the looks I get when I go to a buffet....
                      Wait, wait, wait...they're giving you "the look" when THEY are eating at the buffet, too? Hypocrites.

Kudos to you for getting yer son's grub, too -- by that, I take it he's too young to do so properly/safely himself?
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                        As a quick aside, the 'judgment' isn't cast solely on the overweight. I've ordered what is CLEARLY multiple person orders (ie, 2 #3's, and 3 #7's) and been asked: "For here or to go?" WTF? Yes I'm standing here at the counter by myself, and I'm gonna snarf down five meals. Sometimes FFE get into rote a little too much But that certainly doesn't excuse the accusatory looks, etc....
                        Maybe the other 2, 3, or 4 people are sitting at one of the tables, and you were the designated person to go get the food? I'm not saying that to be argumentative, but because I would probably ask it, too, if I were the person working the counter, and I really wouldn't be taking any shots at the customer's weight.

I was pretty thin in high school, but in my early twenties, I started packing on weight. Either my metabolism slowed down or it was because I started eating more take-out due to being in college (or maybe a combination of both). I went from a weight in the 120-130 lb range (I'm 5'7") to a weight up in the 170-180 lb range. One time, a guy I had gone to church with came into my place of employment. After coming up to me, he patted my stomach and said, "Boy, you sure have put on some pounds. You just need to do more sit-ups!" I felt kind of bad, though I know he didn't mean anything bad by it. He was just very uninhibited with his thoughts.

These days, I'm down to the low 150 lb range, and I think that's a pretty good weight for me. I'm pretty weight conscious, but I don't look down on heavier people who treat themselves to tasty foods. Heck, I actually kind of admire them for being that comfortable with themselves. I hated the way I looked when I was heavier. My face looked puffy, by body looked bloated, and overall, I thought I bore a resemblance to a famous dough boy. So I now deprive myself of a lot of treats to keep the weight from coming back.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          Wait, wait, wait...they're giving you "the look" when THEY are eating at the buffet, too? Hypocrites.
                          Yes, there is a lot of hypocrisy about other people's weight.

One time I went to a salad bar buffet, got myself a nice healthy salad, and decided to add a small dessert to my tray. A male voice behind me said, "You sure that's on your diet, honey?" I looked at the speaker and he was staring at me with this shit-eating grin. The kicker? He was heavier than I was!!!

Sadly, there will always be judgemental people around. You're too fat, you're too thin, your hair's too long, your hair's too short, you need to wear makeup, you're wearing too much makeup... MYOB, people!
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth guywithashovel View Post
                            Maybe the other 2, 3, or 4 people are sitting at one of the tables, and you were the designated person to go get the food? I'm not saying that to be argumentative, but because I would probably ask it, too, if I were the person working the counter, and I really wouldn't be taking any shots at the customer's weight.
                            Yeah, I agree. I always ask for here or to go and I don't mean it to be offensive in any way. Part of it is just simply because it is habit to ask and the other part is because I don't really care if it's all for one person. I don't judge.

Edit: Unless they are mean.

Comment

I always just assume that they ask "here or to go" because they don't have a choice in the matter (unless you say it as part of the order -- which I attempt to do whenever I can)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                                I always just assume that they ask "here or to go" because they don't have a choice in the matter (unless you say it as part of the order -- which I attempt to do whenever I can)
                                They ask because they have to punch it in before totalling. It goes to the screen so whoever is packing orders knows whether he/she needs a bag. But dirty looks are not required.
                                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                                X