Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I Order My Breakfast Without the Side of Fat-Shaming, Please? *ranty, language*

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeeup. Some people, especially the self absorbed kind of the opposite sex (since I think both men and women who are overweight experience this,) cannot believe the NERVE of us fatties, sharing their air, and GASP! Being SEXUAL BEINGS (i.e., we don't suddenly become androgynous or asexual just because we've gained weight.) Isn't that just HI-LARIOUS? Ah hyuk.

Comment

Quoth guywithashovel View Post
      Maybe ... you were the designated person to go get the food?
      Yeah, you're spot on. I was really just trying to get across that sometimes FFEs are in zombie-mode, and may not realize that they are interacting with people on a personal level. Bad example on my part.
      My main point is that the rudeness isn't really in the judging (which we all do about SOMEthing) but in not hiding that judgment from the people we're servicing.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
        My main point is that the rudeness isn't really in the judging (which we all do about SOMEthing) but in not hiding that judgment from the people we're servicing.
        Exactly! Thank you! I often tell people stories about my work and they think I'm rude and that I "shouldn't treat people that way." What they don't understand is that what goes on in my mind and what comes out my mouth are very different. I might be hating every second of being around a certain customer, but they will never know that.

Comment

I agree. People have the right to eat what they want, and as much as they want. We do not have to live up to anyone else's standards. I am fat, and I accept it. I have some, shall we say, concerns about this weight loss hysteria. But rather than get myself in trouble for fratching, should anyone ask my opinion, I will give it privately.
          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I think there is a special place in hell for those who judge others based on appearances. I've had three different guys tell me i'm a great girl...they'd love to date me, but i'm "too fat.". whatever. Everyone is beautiful in their own way. it doesn't matter what size you are, what race you are, religion, etc, we are all human. I think the people who express their disgust at other people's size are as bad as the people who bully gay people, and harass other races.

Comment

Amen to that, Iloveasunflower. I'm a big boy who likes my food just about as much as I like my sex (I saw the seinfeld episode when george was having a meal during sex and said that it was a damn fine idea). I don't understand why us big folk are looked at why we shouldn't breed or even be able to enjoy the thought of sex. What perplexes me even more is when guys tell girls exactly what they told you. I personally prefer a big girl...with a great personality. Size is not exclusive of personality...they go hand in hand! In fact, I think the big girls are more confident, especially the ones who dress appropriately for their size to accent their strong features We need to start a fat revolution!
              Running on ice is just as smart as shoving a fork in the toaster - Blas in regards to a dry pool diving team member who decided to run across a 50 mph highway following an ice storm

Comment

Not all big people are big eaters. Their bodies just use every single frickin' calorie as if starvation was imminent. My sister's metabolism works this way and always has. She was a chubby kid and is an overweight adult, but I probably eat more than she does.

Comment

Some of us might be big eaters or small eaters, food lovers or gifted with slow metabolism - some of us may comfort eat or binge eat, some of us may have disordered patterns of consumption ( )

What all of us definitely need is to be healthy and happy in our own skins. A goal far too difficult to obtain, because what all of us do not need is a gaggle of judgemental butthurt dippy shitmunchers telling us what to consume. Fat or not.

Comment

I get some of this sorta reaction....from my own dad. >.<

He LOVES to cook for us, and is VERY into pastas and thick steaks and the like....

I WILL admit I've packed on a bit of weight since Grad School, but that's my own fault, and I'm on a caloric intake regimen that I stick to 75-80 percent of the time...at this point I'm just dealing with a rather protrudy gut. *sigh*

So why, oh why, when I grab that 'one more ravioli' or another can of diet cola, do I get looks and snarky comments from the faternal figure, eh? he's a fatso these days too, nearly double what he was as a Marine. *eyeroll* I'm gonna step in it some day and say something I'll regret if I'm not careful next time he visits, I'm sure.

Comment

Amen to that...obviously its important to be healthy, but an equal priority is to be comfortable with who you are. All of us big folk would like to be 6'4 195 pounds of ripply abs and taut arms, but we weren't gifted that way. Just be you and be a good person and hopefully the people you are close with will look past the fact that you might be a little overweight. They aren't true friends if they can't look past a flaw at who you really are. Being concerned for you and wanting to help is a different story, but they don't need to be rude about it.
                      Running on ice is just as smart as shoving a fork in the toaster - Blas in regards to a dry pool diving team member who decided to run across a 50 mph highway following an ice storm

Comment

That is one advantage to living in da Big Easy -- people expect that, if you grew up here, you're gonna have at least a little bit more of you to love Especially if one has Cajun blood in the family. The only real exceptions seem to be those who are unusually well-off, and even then, it varies.

There's a *reason* we have an inordinately high "good restaurant"-to-citizen ratio (and that's not even counting fast food joints)...
                        Last edited by EricKei; 07-31-2011, 05:30 AM. Reason: Rearranged to make something more like sense
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth SteverinoNY View Post
                          Being concerned for you and wanting to help is a different story, but they don't need to be rude about it.
                          My friends and beloveds are THRILLED that my blood pressure has finally got to 'healthy'.
                          They're also pleased that my weight and waist measurement are both trending towards healthy. Mostly 'cause they'd like me to stick around a while.

Um. Point I was trying to make is that they're as pleased (more pleased!) about the blood pressure (invisible) as the fat (visible). They want me as healthy as possible, and applaud my efforts of EVERY type to get that way.
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                            My friends and beloveds are THRILLED that my blood pressure has finally got to 'healthy'.
                            They're also pleased that my weight and waist measurement are both trending towards healthy. Mostly 'cause they'd like me to stick around a while.

Um. Point I was trying to make is that they're as pleased (more pleased!) about the blood pressure (invisible) as the fat (visible). They want me as healthy as possible, and applaud my efforts of EVERY type to get that way.
                            I was not implying your family is being rude...just a general statement that people seem to be ruder to fat people

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                              Hell some people are offended just by the mere presence of other people....
                              I'm offended at your offense!

My gosh, life is is offensive! AAAAIIIIGGHHHH!!!!!

Offensensitivity.

http://www.rodentia.org/livejournal/...ensitivity.jpg

Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
                              At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

Quoth SteverinoNY View Post
                                I was not implying your family is being rude...just a general statement that people seem to be ruder to fat people
                                Sorry - I didn't take it that way. I think I was trying to say that the people who really love you will care about ANY health marker improving, not just the ratio of adipose tissue (fat) to other tissue.
                                Seshat's self-help guide:
                                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                                X