This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrendous Hotel Breakfast

Not sure if I am posting in the right section or not. Mods feel free to move it/me if need be.

Hubby and I took the boys on a short vacation and stayed with my sister in Fl this last week. We took an extra day coming home and did some more sightseeing on the way home. We stopped over in Tifton, Ga and against both our better judgements, stayed at a hotel that was slightly less than our standards normally require. The biggest factor in our choosing that hotel was that they had a 24 hour pool/spa and a nice hot breakfast included, and the price was about $35-$45 less than other hotels.

The room was decent/clean. Nothing fancy, but hey, after sleeping on a sofa bed for nearly a week, the bed slept like a dream. Couldn't even hear the neighbors on either side of us, so that was a plus, too.

We got up at a decent hour the next morning, showered/dressed and headed over to the breakfast room. Lordy! IHOP sure looked good from about the moment we got there. The server/cook was offensive right off the bat. Instead of any type of uniform, she had on a t-shirt and jeans. That in itself wasn't so much sucky as what her t-shirt said. Something about getting an arm or leg where it didn't cost an arm/leg. Yep, a t-shirt about purchasing prosthetics!

Then, she ran out of plates (styrofoam ones) before even 1/3 of the folks there got to eat. We all then had to eat from the little tiny dessert sized plates--even if you had a waffle! All the grits were gone. She couldn't keep eggs cooked (they were the best part of the meal, honestly! I decided I'd get a waffle cooked, since how can you mess up that? Well, apparently, she didn't like it that we were all setting the little empty individual cups of waffle batter down beside the iron. She stomped up behind me, grabbed the 3 sitting there, and huffed off back into her room. I was absolutely appalled!

She didn't prepare any more coffee. Hubby and I each got 1 small cup. Oldest son might have gotten some, too. Not sure. No cups left for the kids to get any juice or milk. She was so totally not prepared for this breakfast group.

At 9:30 on the nose, she started picking all the food items up. Single donuts/a last sausage link, a piece of bread, everything!

The manager of the hotel finally came over and had to demand she prepare more coffee. Apparently, she didn't want to because we witnessed him go prepare the coffee.

Is this normal for hotel breakfasts? We've not had a lot of dealings with them, but the few times we have, they've always been fantastic and this one just absolutely sucked!

Never had an experience like that with a hotel breakfast. You must've just gotten a shitty breakfast attendant.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Luna Baby View Post
      Something about getting an arm or leg where it didn't cost an arm/leg. Yep, a t-shirt about purchasing prosthetics!
      I'm confused. Maybe I'm just weird because my dad makes prosthetics and orthotics (including my own leg braces), but how is this rude or offensive? I mean, I agree that the service you got was terrible and that it should be brought to the attention of the corporate office, but...
      Last edited by firecat88; 08-02-2011, 07:03 AM.
      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

i would suggest informing the chain.

i mean it's not like you're expecting her to kiss your feet... you just don't want her treating you like shit while you try to get your food. and to at least do her job

Comment

No that is in no way normal for a hotel breakfast. I agree that you should contact the corporate office of the chain.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
            I think it had more to do with the inappropriateness of the breakfast attendant's attire - that really isn't a professional top to be wearing for that particular job. I know if it were me I'd have been appalled at the unprofessionalism the attendant displayed all the way around.
            patiokitty got it about the attire. It just wasn't appropriate for the profession. Had I seen it on the street, I most likely would have made some joking comment about the shirt.

I will be making a complaint to the chain. The hotel itself wasn't bad, especially for the price we paid. I've just never really had an attendant during the breakfast service that was so rude.

Comment

in most hotels i've seen the employees wore uniforms... or at least professional clothing.

Comment

I agree with others, and am glad you are taking their advice. A complimentary breakfast is supposed to help the guests feel good about staying there, not feel bad. Waffle batter cups? Part of the self-serve waffle-maker process, she needs to accept it. Only making one pot of coffee and refusing to make another? Unacceptable. Unprofessional attire implies other unprofessional practices - do you know if she washed her hands first? Running out of supplies? Well, it does happen - but let the manager know you are running across the street to stock up!

Yes, this situation needs to be reported to the chain. They are probably a franchise, but still need to meet corporate standards per their franchise agreement.
                I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Working...
                X