This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Box that up please

My new town is fairly small and right on the coast, we have 50 or so TINY villages within an hour or two boatride/ sea plane flight so we get many people who fly in, buy food for the entire village in one grocery shop then have it flown or boated back to the village.

Now because it has to go on a plane or boat, they have to box it and/or pack it in a cooler rather than just in shopping bags. The supermarkets charge a small fee for this, pretty much the cost of the boxes (and they get them cheap because they go through so many) but it is fairly labour intensive and time consuming as the orders are 2-3 supermarket carts at a time. Usually the supermarkets here and one checkout lane dedicated to just this service, they even have a waiting area for the customers so the proceedure is when you go in to shop you let the customer service staff know and they pack up your stuff as you fill up your carts. While you are filling cart two, they are scanning and packing cart one. It also keeps the wait down at the other checkout.

If they forget to go to customer service, they tell them at the beginning of the checkout process so they can call extra baggers over to start packing straight away. There are also people who live in REALLY remote areas that you can drive to so they come in fill up the pickup and drive it back so BIG orders are not uncommon. People in the villages know the deal and it is rare for them to get new people, you have to practically be born there to know they even exsist.

Why is this in sightings.... guess what happened to me today

I get my shopping done and get in line behind a guy, he has a really large order but is just about to start scanning his card. After he finishes paying he pulls out his flight info.... sonofabeyotch!

The cashier gives him this look and starts explaining that there is a charge to get it boxed up while waving at the manager. The manager grabs two baggers and they get started assembling boxes. This guy starts bitching about how it's going to cost $15 to have is THREE cartloads boxed up and how long is this going to take.

You DICKHEAD you KNEW you were flying and would need to have your shit boxed! Im pretty sure he waited so the manager would say to waive the fee but he didn't he was pretty sharp with the guy. This is gonna take them another 20 minutes to box minimum (and that's with the cashier, bagger, manager and two other staff pulled for this ONE order) and you're the one complaining that it's taking so long. How about you give them some kind of headstart arsehole! "Im gonna miss my flight", "why don't you have more staff" "this is taking too long!" His teenagers aren't much better, begging for candy and trying to dig through the boxes for something to eat! GRRRRR

mean while I am trapped in the line, people have unloaded behind me, the manager is apologising to the line (they only had two cashiers on) so finally they get him all done and THEN he asks them to call him a cab to get his stuff back to the docks.... DUDE what is up with that! We have like maybe 10 cabs in town, this isn't Vancouver! You have to pre-book if you want one there at a specific time! Even then with this much food and your four teenagers your going to need one of the people moving cabs and there are a whopping TWO in town.

The manager stayed in line and apologised to everyone again over and over, I just played on my phone, I didn't act angry toward them but more than one person was shooting death glares towards the special snowflake with the time management problem.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 08-04-2011, 05:58 AM.
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

I think a notice of "Arrangements for boxing groceries must be made in advance." might be a good idea. Of course, it's not like the SCs will read, but at leas the store has backup when they tell him to bugger off.
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Yeah we all know how well customers read signs huh!

Comment

Just curious Kiwi, where are you with all these villages and islands around?
        If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Quoth Nyoibo View Post
          Just curious Kiwi, where are you with all these villages and islands around?
          Northern British Columbia

Comment

Ooh, little cold up there. I loveed living on an island when I was over that side of the world.
            If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Quoth Kiwi

Northern British Columbia
              No shit eh! Beautiful...I'm from the Fraser Valley.

Comment

Quoth TowelKing View Post
                I used to live in Maple Ridge, I miss it SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much

Comment

Hey, so am I. I escaped, though.
                  What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Kiwi

I used to live in Maple Ridge, I miss it SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much
                    No shit! I lived mostly in Mission, but spent a couple years in Abbotsford.

Comment

Just drove down from Alaska myself. Pretty areas, sucks to drive though.

Comment

I'm a West Coaster myself - not that far north though. Born and raised in Victoria, currently wondering what the hell I am doing on the Prairies!

Comment

Quoth Buglady
                          I'm a West Coaster myself - not that far north though. Born and raised in Victoria, currently wondering what the hell I am doing on the Prairies!
                          Oh dear. I'm wondering the same thing...damn Alberta. What province you in?

Comment

Oh dear. I'm wondering the same thing...damn Alberta. What province you in?
                            Watch your tongue Alberta is a beautiful place.
                            If it makes sense, it's not allowed™. -- BeckySunshine

I've heard of breaking wind but not breaking and entering wind. --- Sheldonrs

My gaming blog:Ghosts from the Black

Comment

Quoth IvorTangrean View Post
                              Watch your tongue Alberta is a beautiful place.
                              ... for freezer ... burn ...
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X