Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny, I was at Lowes just today and saw a couple with two fairly large dogs. I thought they were service dogs in training at first, but they didn't have special harnesses designating them as such, and they weren't behaving like service dogs. They were trying to pull away from the owners and get at the other people and check them out. The dogs seemed friendly enough, but I kept my distance just to be safe.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

It's a shame, places like Lowes & Home Depot had always been pretty pet friendly, but I guess they had to stick-up for themselves after being taken advantage of by bad behavior. I'm betting people figured 'pet friendly = the store will clean-up after me!

Sheesh. I constantly kick people with dogs out of my mall; it's always "I'll only be a minute!" . And the people that leave Muffin in their car because they just can't BEAR to leave their little shnookims at home; people, it's 95 DEGREES OUT, Muffin would be MUCH HAPPIER at home!
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth ralerin View Post
        Someone brought their chinchilla in a couple days ago. I got to pet him.
        "I am...Chinchillian!" (Cookies for the reference.)

That's one thing I love about working at a pet friendly motel. I've seen everything. Cats, dogs, guinea pigs, hamsters, lizards...CW said she even saw a goat once.
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I like dogs, but am not much of a dog person. Especially big, strange dogs. They get excited and want to jump when I don't pet them. I hate that. Sorry, I don't want to have to avoid you and your pet so I don't get slobbered or jumped on. And while my kitty would probably love the adventure, I'm not about to make him fair game for any dog that likes to chase/chomp kitties.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
            Then I could take him to the dog park, and just go straight to the grocery store afterward without making a side trip back home. In the winter when it's cool, I can just leave him in the car, but not this time of year.
            Check yer local/state laws' website -- in some areas, it's illegal to leave dogs (or kids) alone in cars, no matter what the weather (even in winter in the shade, cars CAN reach dangerous temperatures in a matter of minutes) -- Don't want you to get in trouble ^_^
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

People would bring dogs into the fabric store all the time, even with the NO PETS sign posted very prominently. I had one lady who brought in her little service dog (seizure detector) and made sure to stop by and show us that he was a service animal. The lady who brought in the three medium sized dogs that started barking at everybody was just so shocked that I told her to leave.

The parakeet was kinda cool, though. Of course, the lady came in around 8 and there was nobody else in the store and it stayed on her shoulder.
              "I'm starting to see a pattern in the men I date" - Miss Piggy, Muppet Treasure Island

I'm writing!! Check out the blog.

Comment

Wow, the only time my family brought the dog to a store was when we went to Petco. He was a very excited German Shepherd, yes, he was... He actually behaved quite well, though.
                "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                Amayis is my wifey

Comment

We have lots of regulars who bring their dogs to the Orange Apron--we're in the same shopping center as a pet store. Two of the more memorable regulars are a retriever that only understands Czeck, and a giant brown lab that walks himself. Both of them are immaculately trained, so it's kind of amusing to see the lab walking at his owner's heels with the rope in its own mouth.

I've only seen a problem once, and that was when some twit without a clue had a tiny, well-behaved dog and could not grasp that the customer in front of her was terrified of them. She assumed that because he'd moved out of her way, he was giving her his place in line...despite his stuff being on the counter still and the cashier still in mid-transaction. Luckily her friend had more sense than her and picked up the dog, and I was able to separate the groups by sending her to the service desk for her return.
                  It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth Eisa View Post
                    Petco.
                    I can certainly understand the logic behind bringing a pet to a pet supply store - especially if you need to try on collars/leads and such... I just wish more people, especially those with larger critters, would keep in mind the fact that they're taking their furry friend to a place where half of what you see is FOOD, and a third to half of what is left is edible *living* critters ~_~

The poor things don't know that they're not supposed to eat at what must surely appear to be a smorgasbord ^^;>
                    Last edited by EricKei; 08-10-2011, 01:14 AM. Reason: damn you autocorrect! you have failed me for the ladst time!
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

All the chihuahua talk reminded me of a movie my friends and I went to. The previews had an ad for that Beverly Hills Chihuahua movie, with all the animated dogs dancing around and whatnot. At one point, one of the chihuahuas is explaining why chihuahuas are so great, and says, "We marched into war with the Incas and Aztecs!"

One of my buddies graduated with a degree in history. He looks up at the screen and blurts, "They were food!"

Cue multiple kids in our area crying.
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                        One of my buddies graduated with a degree in history. He looks up at the screen and blurts, "They were food!"
                        Which explains the bug-eyes & nervousness...

Besides, the Aztecs didn't have wheels, so they had to use Meat-On-Feet instead of Meals-On-Wheels.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

We are a dog-friendly store.

However, we are a mom-and-pop, the owners have their puppy in the store all the time (and their old dog before she passed was a fixture), and it's small enough that people tend to keep an eye on their pooches. Plus this is a *very* dog-friendly town, and it just makes sense to let dogs come in here.

It's actually worked to our advantage - there are dogs that *know* we have treats, so they drag their people in, and then the people end up buying a bottle or two so they don't feel like they're mooching. Unintended but positive consequence.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                            I like dogs, but am not much of a dog person. Especially big, strange dogs. They get excited and want to jump when I don't pet them. I hate that. Sorry, I don't want to have to avoid you and your pet so I don't get slobbered or jumped on.
                            I'm like that, but with little dogs. I'm firmly convinced that the smaller the dog, the more likely they are to bite. All the times I've been lunged at, snapped at, and even nipped once, it has been exclusively little dogs.

There are, of course, exceptions. One of my friends has the sweetest little chihuahua. She'll get her paws up on my leg, but I have yet to see her jump or bark.

Quoth Geek King View Post

Cue multiple kids in our area crying.
                            And at that point, I would have fallen out of my chair laughing!
                            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Many years ago, Mrs. IA and I had a Shih-Tzu puppy. He was a runt, maybe 3-4 pounds, and still a baby. She decided to carry him into a fabric store one day. As she was waiting to check out, she was holding him, and when he turned his head, the woman behind her screamed. She had thought the puppy was a stuffed toy and was spooked when he moved.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                                Many years ago, Mrs. IA and I had a Shih-Tzu puppy. He was a runt, maybe 3-4 pounds, and still a baby. She decided to carry him into a fabric store one day. As she was waiting to check out, she was holding him, and when he turned his head, the woman behind her screamed. She had thought the puppy was a stuffed toy and was spooked when he moved.
                                My former friend has a bichon frise that adores sitting really still on the couch like a stuffed animal and waiting until someone sits down before "coming to life" and scaring them to death.

Quoth EricKei View Post
                                I can certainly understand the logic behind bringing a pet to a pet supply store - especially if you need to try on collars/leads and such... I just wish more people, especially those with larger critters, would keep in mind the fact that they're taking their furry friend to a place where half of what you see is FOOD, and a third to half of what is left is edible *living* critters ~_~

The poor things don't know that they're not supposed to eat at what must surely appear to be a smorgasbord ^^;>
                                Oh dear. He was really well-behaved--didn't bark or snap at other pets, although he certainly got interested, and we kept a CLOSE watch on him so he didn't eat anything! I think we went right past all the locked-up pets for sale really fast, so he didn't get a chance to really notice them.
                                "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                                "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                                Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Working...
                                X