This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell Me About Sam's Club

This isn't a sighting per say, but I'm rather just sort of curious and it honestly annoyed me a little. He really wasn't sucky he just rubbed me the wrong way.

Today I was moving more stuff into my new apartment in a new neighborhood and decided to hit up the Sam's Club right down the street. So, there I am with a big cart in hand walking confidently into the door, wearing my beat up epoxy-covered Wal Mart shorts that I do dirty work in and a comfy 2XL t-shirt with my messy hair pulled back. I cheefully say "good afternoon" to the guy at the door, who stops me and asks me if I have my membership card.

Well, of course I have my membership card! It's a Sam's Club. So I tell him yes and he looks at me with curled lip and a raised eyebrow and says "Heh, are you sure about that sweet heart?" So I pulled out my membership card he just kind of blinked and waved me through.

I mean, to anyone that works or regularly shops there - if you're young (I'm 23), alone and look scraggly from hefting boxes about all day, do you get stopped at the door too?

And if you're wondering what I was getting - a 25 lb bag of long grain rice, 6 pack of canned red beans and 36 pack of toilet paper. They didn't have the lightbulbs I wanted.

As far as I am aware everyone entering Sams is supposed to show their iD card. I've always flashed mine to the attendant when entering.

Comment

Yeah, they check everyone. You just flash it when you go inside, if you have it out and they can see it, they don't stop you. At least, that's how the ones here operate.

I'm a little curious what was meant by the guy's comments, though. Unless he said it to prompt you to show it.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
        Yeah, they check everyone. You just flash it when you go inside, if you have it out and they can see it, they don't stop you. At least, that's how the ones here operate.

I'm a little curious what was meant by the guy's comments, though. Unless he said it to prompt you to show it.
        I suppose he was. The Sam's Club in Princeton that I've gone to before hasn't carded me at the door, nor the one in Philadelphia, nor did he ask the two couples in front of me for their ID card at all, they just walked in without taking it out or flashing anything. That's why it kind of perturbed me.

His tone was kind of condescending and I didn't like it, but it's very hard to convey via text. Maybe he was just trying to spice up his ID PLEASE spiel for people who don't have it out, but he seemed to question that I could possibly have a card by the tone of voice he took. That, and people calling me sweet heart. Drives m' nuts. I don't normally go alone though so maybe that was why?

EDIT: Thanks for the info by the way. I'm presuming it's something that is supposed to be done but usually isn't other places, maybe? And this is my first time encountering someone actually following the rules so it seems out of sorts?
        Last edited by Pezzle; 08-18-2011, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Yeah, sounds like he was being a bit of a jerk about it.

Though count me in among those who's always flashed my card at the greeter on my way in, just to keep from having to stop and prove I have a membership. The one time I went in a store without a membership card, the greeter actually directed me to the service desk to get a membership, or at least a temporary card for shopping that day, so I suspect that's why they usually check at the entrance.
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I always just flash my card on my way into the Costco. I do think it's sucky he demeaned you like that. How else would you have gotten in if you didn't have a card ? Even if you came with someone who did, they could've just put your stuff on their order. Some people are jerks.
            Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
              This isn't a sighting per say, but I'm rather just sort of curious and it honestly annoyed me a little. He really wasn't sucky he just rubbed me the wrong way.

Today I was moving more stuff into my new apartment in a new neighborhood and decided to hit up the Sam's Club right down the street. So, there I am with a big cart in hand walking confidently into the door, wearing my beat up epoxy-covered Wal Mart shorts that I do dirty work in and a comfy 2XL t-shirt with my messy hair pulled back. I cheefully say "good afternoon" to the guy at the door, who stops me and asks me if I have my membership card.

Well, of course I have my membership card! It's a Sam's Club. So I tell him yes and he looks at me with curled lip and a raised eyebrow and says "Heh, are you sure about that sweet heart?" So I pulled out my membership card he just kind of blinked and waved me through.

I mean, to anyone that works or regularly shops there - if you're young (I'm 23), alone and look scraggly from hefting boxes about all day, do you get stopped at the door too?

And if you're wondering what I was getting - a 25 lb bag of long grain rice, 6 pack of canned red beans and 36 pack of toilet paper. They didn't have the lightbulbs I wanted.
              My family are members of BJs and I have never had to show my ID at the door. However, someone calling me sweetheart under the age of 70 is going to really annoy me.

The last one to call me "sweetheart" was a mechanic and now Mr. Mis won't let me talk to them anymore.
              Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

On the one hand: Yeah, they're supposed to card EVERYONE at Sam's, even if they know the customer

On the other hand: He was being rude, and borderline crude (I can't tell from text-only ). There's no call for that. Maybe he thought he was being clever in "suspecting" that you didn't have a card...?

There is a little bit of an elitist thing going on there, despite it literally just being "WalMart with bigger packages". Remember boys and girls, they're not really big on quantity discounts, they just want you to buy more at a time (tho they do have some really good deals from, time to time). I've done some comparison shopping when my Aunt needs a hand at Sam's. Some of their mega-packs have HIGHER per-unit costs than singles at the local grocery stores o_O
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It's true that a lot of things aren't really all that cheap. However, things like cheese and meat are. I buy the larger portions, divy it up at home, and freeze it. I don't have to bother going to the grocery store much because for everything other than fresh produce, I have a freezer and a pantry out in my garage. Very convenient. I can usually whip up a meal for guests with no advance notice because of this.

Comment

Paper towels and toilet paper are also pretty good deals there. I got a 36 pack of charmin for 18 bucks and that'll probably last me a very long time, considering I'm living alone and the Mr. will just visit occasionally. My first time being totally alone! I also compared prices of paper towels to Wal Mart and Lowes and found that the markup on smaller packages of paper towels is significant compared to the bulk packs you buy at a place like Sam's or Big Lots.

I bought 25 lbs of long grain rice for 8.79, I really can't complain and my 6 pack of goya canned beans was .50 cheaper than Shop-Rite would've been for all six (except for Shop Rite's Can Can Sales.. omfg) Which will allow me to buy even more beans. The big bulk packs of frozen veggies and meats are pretty great too, I see some nice deals on crab here as well.

Big Lots is my preferred place for true closeout deals but Sam's is pretty consistent. And, I can't deny a huge tub of strawberries for 6 bucks when the sale gods bless me
                    Last edited by Pezzle; 08-18-2011, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Even IF you somehow don't show your membership card at the door, then you have to show it at the registers to be able to buy anything.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                        Even IF you somehow don't show your membership card at the door, then you have to show it at the registers to be able to buy anything.
                        I suppose by seeing it at the door they're trying to save someone clueless to the process the hassle of picking things out then getting stopped at the registers with cartfulls of waste. That, I do not mind.

Comment

I used to belong to Sam's Club and now I'm a Costco member.

I've been to three Sam's Clubs in the area and one Costco.

At every one you had to show your card before going in.

Comment

Quoth Lachrymose View Post
                            I used to belong to Sam's Club and now I'm a Costco member.

I've been to three Sam's Clubs in the area and one Costco.

At every one you had to show your card before going in.
                            Do you like Costco a lot more? I'm told it tends to be a bit more pleasant. That, and their pizza is actually kinda nummy.

Comment

To be completely honest, I haven't noticed a big difference.

My reasons for changing from Sam's to Costco may be a bit strange.

The Sam's I used to go to was located in the corner of a low-traffic shopping center. But it closed.

That only left me with one that was built right next to a Walmart in a very busy shopping center where the main road for the stores went right in front. It's kind of hard to explain. But between people crossing that road on foot and heavy traffic driving past, it was extremely anger-inducing for me.

So, that made me go to the local Costco, which is situated more like the original Sam's I used to go to: in the corner of a lower-traffic shopping center.

By the way, I kind of use that method for all my shopping. If I don't like the way the parking lot is, I won't shop there...heh..

Comment

Working...
                              X