Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My in-laws have Sam's I have Costco but it isn't unusual for me to go with my MIL to Sam's. I like Costco better, she prefers Sam's. The employees seem to be a lot more friendly and helpful at Costco. I have also found the quality of stuff that they make in house to be better (though slightly more expensive) than what you find at Sam's, they also seem to have a bigger selection of things made there as well as better meat and produce sections (tough the produce sections at some places aren't as good as others). In fact I think their bakery section is superior to that at any grocer in the area, the pies and cakes are wonderful but the chocolate tortes are amazing.

On the other hand Sam's seems to have slightly lower prices on the stuff that is brought in so it kind of depends on your priority. I use Costco primarily as a grocer, I go at least once a month and pretty much just get fresh foods and grains, I don't have heaps of storage space so most paper and canned goods and whatnot I tend to get elsewhere, so I definitely prefer Costco's selection, if I were getting mostly canned or paper goods I might be able to get a better deal at Sam's (but I'd still keep going to Costco cuz I'm addicted to those torts).

Also just so you know at Costco even non-members can go in the exit to purchase hotdogs and pizza (I think it is $1.50 for a hotdog and soda combo, and they use Hebrew National hotdogs so they are pretty darn good and rather sizable, makes a pretty good, cheap lunch).

Back on topic: the guy may have been trying to joke around but if I had been in your situation I certainly wouldn't have found it terribly funny. I've always been asked to show my card but his comment was still rude.
    Last edited by Solumina; 08-18-2011, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
      Do you like Costco a lot more? I'm told it tends to be a bit more pleasant. That, and their pizza is actually kinda nummy.
      I don't know that there's really a whole lot of difference between the two, other than corporate policies and specific selection.

My local Food 4 Less has better prices than either on most things, though, so they get the bulk of my shopping business. Except for soda, which is notably cheaper at Costco (and since that's where the bosslady buys it, too, it's likely cheaper than the local Sam's Club, too).

As to the OP, he may have been trying to joke, but sexist comments should never be an option. I'd have probably talked to a supervisor about it, myself. Then again, I always have my card out when heading into Costco, so it'll never come up.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I never get checked at Sams, but that's only because I'm there several times a week. They all know me there, and don't bother.
        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
          Even IF you somehow don't show your membership card at the door, then you have to show it at the registers to be able to buy anything.
          But they keep down five fingered discounts by making sure only paid members get in, and prevent EW's from complaining, "but they let me iiiiinnnnn! Can't you just ring me up? Nobody told me I had to be a meeeemmmmbbbeerrr! (Mr. Hero and Sheldon, don't go there)"

Quoth Pezzle View Post
          Do you like Costco a lot more? I'm told it tends to be a bit more pleasant. That, and their pizza is actually kinda nummy.
          Costco pizza IS nummy! And berrie smoothies . . . emmm. Berry smoothies.

I always have to show my card when I go to Costco. Sometimes the greeter doesn't see it and they call me over, which is fine. I have no problem with that.

I might have a problem with someone calling me sweetheart as I don't like to be patronized . . . it would depend on tone of voice though.

I buy all my meat at Costco for the same reason Kinkoid does: better cuts, better prices. I then repackage it in single serving sizes to make it easy for me to make dinner quickly. I buy some bulk food sizes or ingredients, but it really depends on what it is. Milk, for example, is not a good buy for me becasue I don't drink it quickly enough before it goes bad. Ditto with most fruit and vegetables.

Non-perishables like TP and paper towels are a great buy for me: I buy in bulk and it lasts me a year or more.

It's like most things: you really have to pay attention to prices and know what things should cost before you buy. I usually spend enough to make the price savings from the membership card more than pay for themselves.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I prefer BJ's. Just because I can use BJ's coupons and I can use manufacturers coupons at the same time.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
              "Nobody told me I had to be a meeeemmmmbbbeerrr!" (Mr. Hero and Sheldon, don't go there)
              Guess I'm up, then.

"We said member. Being a dick isn't good enough."

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
              I prefer BJ's.
              Nuff said.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Silly dalesys!

Thank you for the giggle. Thought I was safe.

Comment

I will say I like Sam's Club hamburger for my cookouts. The meat seems to be higher quality, and doesn't shrink as much after cooking. That usually means less fat in the mix. They also hold together better on the grill.

They also have yummy bratwurst.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I think the guy was just being an ass just to be an ass. The Sam's I go to in ABQ I have to show mine every time, even though I'm there enough for some of the greeters to recognize me.

Quoth Panacea View Post
                    I buy all my meat at Costco for the same reason Kinkoid does: better cuts, better prices. I then repackage it in single serving sizes to make it easy for me to make dinner quickly. I buy some bulk food sizes or ingredients, but it really depends on what it is. Milk, for example, is not a good buy for me becasue I don't drink it quickly enough before it goes bad. Ditto with most fruit and vegetables.
                    I get my hamburger at Sam's. Any other cuts, I just pick up what I need at Sunflower. Since it's just me, and I don't have a big freezer, it's just easier.

Now my milk, I do pay a little bit more for, but that's because it's from a local dairy. I'm trying to be as much of a locavore as possible. Which is why I've started trying to go to the farmer's markets more.

Quoth Geek King View Post
                    I will say I like Sam's Club hamburger for my cookouts. The meat seems to be higher quality, and doesn't shrink as much after cooking. That usually means less fat in the mix. They also hold together better on the grill.

They also have yummy bratwurst.
                    They've got really good Italian sausages, too.
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I'm also that way about parking lots, as while there is a Costco that's relatively close, the parking lot seems too small for me, as there seems to be more cars than available spots. As a result, I go to a different Costco which is at the end of a shopping mall, where even on the busiest days, there's plenty of parking spots. I always have to show my card, both while going in, and before checking out.

Comment

I always figured Sam's Club forcing me to show my card at the entrance was almost a courtesy. Keeps me from getting in line with a loaded cart and realizing I've forgotten my card, which would be a hassle for the checker and for me AND it's just the kind of thing I'd do!

I always just have my card out and show it at the door. Once I lost my card, and they were going "Ma'am? Ma'am? You need to show your card!" I told them "I lost my card, I'm going to the desk," and that was cool. But yes, they check every one every time.

But this:
                        Quoth Pezzle View Post
                        he looks at me with curled lip and a raised eyebrow and says "Heh, are you sure about that sweet heart?"
                        I'm thinking he could have been a bit more polite and professional. Like "Sorry, the policy is we need to see it." Maybe he thought he was being funny.
                        Women can do anything men can.
                        But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
                        Maxine

Comment

I work for the place that is not BJ's or Sam's Club. They have very strict quailty control on all their products. If it doesn't pass Q&A it doesn't get sold.

Also they have changed over their hot dogs to the Kirkland Signature Brand. I personally find it too salty. Their pizzas and frozen yogurt are yummy. Not to mention the churros.

You can also go to the pharmacy with out having to have a membership. Though that may be a ny state law. I also learned that in new york you do not have to be a member to buy alcohol.

Also if some one gives you a costco cash card and you are not a member you still can shop.

Sometimes they make exceptions depending if the customer is not being a douche or the manager decides not to be a douche that day.

Oh the gereat thing about costco you can return things from years ago and they will take it back except on electronics like tvs which are 90 days. I have seen software from about 10 years ago that was unopened and the os was win 98, win me and win2k to play it on. LOL.

Though it has saved me beaucse i have brought some gps for my mom who keeps breaking them. LOL Let me tell you spending say 400 on one and having it break gets to you.

We have had people buy patio furniture and bbq in the beginning of spring and return it in septemeber because they are done with their parties until next summer. lol

The only thing i don't like is when some memebers are rude to the people who try to sell the executive memberships. Some don;t understand it because of language barrier and we have people who speak that language. Other just don;t want to understand at all. Yet these people spend a lot of money and they don't want to save. At the end of the year that 2% does add up and in reality it more than pays for itself. I have seen quite a few checks over the 200 dollars or more. That is a rant in itself for another day.
                          "Beam me up Scotty there is no intelligent life down here."

Comment

My city just had Costco open up in it (third in the province, only one in the region with a gas bar) and it's still pretty busy. I'm just piggy backing on mom's membership card now (going in when she does basically) but once I price shop around a bit more, I'll probably get my own membership. The produce prices can't be beat, and the meat prices are pretty good. Paper products we find can be hit or miss savings-wise. Like anywhere you have to know what you're buying and price compare if you want to save. Just because it's in bulk doesn't mean it's cheaper.

The parking lots of the CostCo's in my province are fairly well designed. They are marked to leave you a lot of space to load your vehicle, and many people have noticed that they seem to set the lot size to be *just* big enough, so that while the lot is full, the store won't feel overcrowded.

Comment

Rather like costco myself, haven't been into many sams clubs to be sure of price differences. Just one definate thing that made me like them was when I was buying a present for my GF. Went to local costco for a new TV for her, sony bravia tv for $560. It was great but I price shopped at the local best buy. The instant I saw the same exact model TV (I checked all the stats) having a clearance price of 700 I just went back to costco and walked out with the TV.
                              Plus love the food court for a good lunch when I work.
                              for basic grocheries and other merchandise I still need to verify if its worth it but that story stood out for me for a good thumbs up for costco.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                                I will say I like Sam's Club hamburger for my cookouts. The meat seems to be higher quality, and doesn't shrink as much after cooking. That usually means less fat in the mix.
                                Right? The ground beef is so nice! And it smells so great when it's cooking! And the steaks are just gorgeous. I can get four ribeyes for twenty something bucks.

One thing I had to give up on is the pork chops. I don't know if the meat's bad, or it's got the boar taint or what, but after having to drive across town and return not one but TWO large packages of chops, I just quit buying fresh pork from them. Which is weird because everything else in their meat department is excellent.

Comment

Working...
                                X